Is this what forty years gets you in

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
Whenever I catch up with my fellow retirees and we talk about what everyone has been up to its always golf, fishing, hunting, camping trips, the latest cruise, etc. I've never heard anyone say how they miss the lifestyle they had when they were working and making 100k. If it was that great none of us would have ever retired.
Any time I think about UPS it is never a thought of what I miss it is always a thought of what I will never have to do or put up with again for the rest of my life.

quad decade guy

Whenever I catch up with my fellow retirees and we talk about what everyone has been up to its always golf, fishing, hunting, camping trips, the latest cruise, etc. I've never heard anyone say how they miss the lifestyle they had when they were working and making 100k. If it was that great none of us would have ever retired.
Well.....I call it a love/hate "lifestyle". I love what the money allows me to do....away from work.
That said....I hate the rest of it. Pkg.was a beating.....Feeders....at night.... etc.

Having enough extra money to not really have to "worry" makes the rest of it tolerable.

I don't go to work for the work "lifestyle".

While still working....I go on cruises.....hunting, camping, to the Big Easy...even Hawaii.

Just on vacation.

It also allows me to have a nice high performance car and airplane. Things( some even UPS'ers) dream about.

Most people retire at 62-67. I will too. That's just the way it is. So, I don't worry about it.

I see a lot of folks being frugal all their working lives to retire "early". Then maintain that frugality the rest of their lives....just to stick it to UPS.

I'm not going to be-"We've gathered to remember Bob......thinking of all the things he never did or experienced....missing out on life's possibilities and bounty.....but he was frugal and stuck it to UPS."

BTW, I wonder what most retiree's lives are really like. I MEAN REALLY.
Any time I think about UPS it is never a thought of what I miss it is always a thought of what I will never have to do or put up with again for the rest of my life.

35years

Gravy route
Judge Judy. Mowing lawns for chicken scratch. Going for walks is likely the most exciting part of the day.

You can only do so many home improvement projects as an excuse to stay in the garage/basement, and away from the wife.

It is sad, really.

Yes, there is so much more to life. But even at retirement age most have not figured it out.

It isn't the toys. It isn't free time or golfing and fishing.

A life wasted, both during working years and retirement.

The pearl of great price.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Judge Judy. Mowing lawns for chicken scratch. Going for walks is likely the most exciting part of the day.

You can only do so many home improvement projects as an excuse to stay in the garage/basement, and away from the wife.

It is sad, really.

Yes, there is so much more to life. But even at retirement age most have not figured it out.

What is the secret master?

quad decade guy

It is sad, really.

While I get your cryptic message.....Zin and all that....with respect.

We'll have to get back here to reality and this Earth for most of us......

Now, not all wasted.....I try to make a difference and give back when I can....of which is not always appreciated(like on here) or even accepted(like on here).

I will say....if Judge Judy is the pinnacle....I'll pass on and see what's in the Ether...

35years

Gravy route
While I get your cryptic message.....Zin and all that....with respect.

We'll have to get back here to reality and this Earth for most of us......

Now, not all wasted.....I try to make a difference and give back when I can....of which is not always appreciated(like on here) or even accepted(like on here).

I will say....if Judge Judy is the pinnacle....I'll pass on and see what's in the Ether...
No zin or zen.

Doesn't get any real, or earthy than willingly being horribly tortured and killed for those who abandon you.

No doubt the most mundane of activities have real value when united with this sacrifice.

But most will reject it, and that is what is sad. Few find real meaning.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Well.....I call it a love/hate "lifestyle". I love what the money allows me to do....away from work.
That said....I hate the rest of it. Pkg.was a beating.....Feeders....at night.... etc.

Having enough extra money to not really have to "worry" makes the rest of it tolerable.

While still working....I go on cruises.....hunting, camping, to the Big Easy...even Hawaii.

Just on vacation.

It also allows me to have a nice high performance car and airplane. Things( some even UPS'ers) dream about.

Most people retire at 62-67. I will too. That's just the way it is. So, I don't worry about it.

I see a lot of folks being frugal all their working lives to retire "early". Then maintain that frugality the rest of their lives....just to stick it to UPS.

I'm not going to be-"We've gathered to remember Bob......thinking of all the things he never did or experienced....missing out on life's possibilities and bounty.....but he was frugal and stuck it to UPS."

I'm not trolling you: I TRULY hope you aren;t going to be one of those people work until 67 and die at 68.
I retired this year at 55 and if you want to know what this retiree's life is like: I volunteer at an animal sanctuary two days a week and a cat rescue one day a week.I take my dad to lunch every week any time he chooses. I go to ALL of the grandkids school functions. I spend alot of quality time with my wife ,it's NICE going shopping in the middle of the day!
I went on an Icelandic Cruise this summer, a four day getaway cruise this fall and the week of Christmas I'm spending three days in Prague then taking a cruise of the Christmas markets in Germany. I sleep late every day and have the freedom to do whatever the hell I want to do every day. Nope I don't bring home what I did working but so much of what i made went into stock and 401K i dont really miss it. I'm happier trading money for time now
Will I have as much money as you when I'm 67 or 68? probably not BUT i can assure you I will be MUCH happier from 55-67 than I would be if i were still working and that m'friend is worth more than Dollars

35years

Gravy route
I'm not trolling you: I TRULY hope you aren;t going to be one of those people work until 67 and die at 68.
I retired this year at 55 and if you want to know what this retiree's life is like: I volunteer at an animal sanctuary two days a week and a cat rescue one day a week.I take my dad to lunch every week any time he chooses. I go to ALL of the grandkids school functions. I spend alot of quality time with my wife ,it's NICE going shopping in the middle of the day!
I went on an Icelandic Cruise this summer, a four day getaway cruise this fall and the week of Christmas I'm spending three days in Prague then taking a cruise of the Christmas markets in Germany. I sleep late every day and have the freedom to do whatever the hell I want to do every day. Nope I don't bring home what I did working but so much of what i made went into stock and 401K i dont really miss it. I'm happier trading money for time now
Will I have as much money as you when I'm 67 or 68? probably not BUT i can assure you I will be MUCH happier from 55-67 than I would be if i were still working and that m'friend is worth more than Dollars
Money is not what matters, I agree.

Working or retired, activities, toys, etc. all of it passing away.

What matters a billion years from now?

Don't care?

We all will.

Last edited:

quad decade guy

Who knows when we will die. NO MALE on my side of the Family has lived past 72....not one(modern history).

I got to thinking the other day about insurance.....never paid for it ever. My Mom had great insurance through her work. I started at UPS when I turned 18 and have had free insurance ever since. My Wife's cancer stuff is costing about $15k a month right now....insurance pays for all of it. I just started a $1k per month scrip drug that costs me $5. I will not disturb our insurance situation for anything but my death.....here, we have to pay for insurance at retirement and I'm not remotely clear of it's benefits/cost.

Both my parents are dead. No Grandkids so far...hard to tell if ever. My Wife still works by choice..

In our Family(both sides), most worked till their 60's, retired and lived a decade or so. There are exceptions on my Grandmothers side....women mostly lived to their 90's....! Tell you anything?

Now, I have lived a much healthier(relatively) lifestyle and diet/exercise than my parents. So, who knows?

Having just(relatively) shed my daughters college expenses and all that....was like getting a raise. I'd like to live a little. My income right now....allows me to do the things and have the things I gave up most of my working life. For instance: Some of my potential, looming medical problems would ground me from flying. Right now, I own my own airplane and can fly anytime. I could have never afforded a corvette raising my daughter, taking care of Parents...so on.

I've seen my parents, their friends, co-workers......go through their 60-80's.....some of them.....I would kill myself before I went through that.

Cruises....have at it. You couldn't pay me to go to Europe right now. With all respect......if looking forward to a walk or afternoon Costco shopping is it....I'd rather check out the Cosmos.

I'm at peace.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King

It is sad, really.

No zin or zen.

Doesn't get any real, or earthy than willingly being horribly tortured and killed for those who abandon you.

No doubt the most mundane of activities have real value when united with this sacrifice.

But most will reject it, and that is what is sad. Few find real meaning.

Money is not what matters, I agree.

Working or retired, activities, toys, etc. all of it passing away.

What matters a billion years from now?

Don't care?

We all will.
Why do I want to sit crossed leg on the floor with my hands in the white power position on my knees and think about Woodstock after I read your post?
I didn't know how much I've missed good weed.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Who knows when we will die. NO MALE on my side of the Family has lived past 72....not one(modern history).

I got to thinking the other day about insurance.....never paid for it ever. My Mom had great insurance through her work. I started at UPS when I turned 18 and have had free insurance ever since. My Wife's cancer stuff is costing about $15k a month right now....insurance pays for all of it. I just started a $1k per month scrip drug that costs me $5. I will not disturb our insurance situation for anything but my death.....here, we have to pay for insurance at retirement and I'm not remotely clear of it's benefits/cost.

Both my parents are dead. No Grandkids so far...hard to tell if ever. My Wife still works by choice..

In our Family(both sides), most worked till their 60's, retired and lived a decade or so. There are exceptions on my Grandmothers side....women mostly lived to their 90's....! Tell you anything?

Now, I have lived a much healthier(relatively) lifestyle and diet/exercise than my parents. So, who knows?

Having just(relatively) shed my daughters college expenses and all that....was like getting a raise. I'd like to live a little. My income right now....allows me to do the things and have the things I gave up most of my working life. For instance: Some of my potential, looming medical problems would ground me from flying. Right now, I own my own airplane and can fly anytime. I could have never afforded a corvette raising my daughter, taking care of Parents...so on.

I've seen my parents, their friends, co-workers......go through their 60-80's.....some of them.....I would kill myself before I went through that.

Cruises....have at it. You couldn't pay me to go to Europe right now. With all respect......if looking forward to a walk or afternoon Costco shopping is it....I'd rather check out the Cosmos.

I'm at peace.
You make a good argument for retirement. Enjoy what time you have together with your wife. I knew a driver that wouldn’t retire even though he no longer needed to work. When he finally retired he died after his retirement party of a heart attack. Left a rich widow. Good guy too. Don’t end up like that. All BS aside.

quad decade guy

You make a good argument for retirement. Enjoy what time you have together with your wife. I knew a driver that wouldn’t retire even though he no longer needed to work. When he finally retired he died after his retirement party of a heart attack. Left a rich widow. Good guy too. Don’t end up like that. All BS aside.
I'll retire soon enough.....

There is work to be done and I have some commitments to fulfill...my marriage and wife's care. My Family. I'm good.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Just on vacation.

D1A7CF74-F237-4B00-B282-617738930C0C.jpeg