Any friend/t drivers working 2nd jobs?

browniehound

My understanding is that any hours on duty for any employer counts against your 60 for DOT.

I've thought about getting a job on Sunday at Home Depot because in MA they pay time and a half on Sunday. I decided against it because work at UPS already takes up enough of my time and I don't NEED :happy2:the money.

If I did NEED :sad-little:the money I would take the job and work 10 hours. That would leave me with 50 for UPS. I don't see how they would have a problem with this except for late November and December.

I've never heard of an employee at UPS catching any flack for working a second job outside of UPS.

My theory is, we don't need a second job. I average about 5 hours OT per week. That equals about $210 dollars:thumbup:. To me, that is my second job! I would need to work at Wal-Mart for 20 hours to make that extra money!:whiteflag:

When you think about it, we have it pretty good at UPS as drivers. :happy2: We are heading towards reccesion:thunderstorm:, yet we will still get 9 hours a day working at UPS. I'd be hard pressed to find another company paying overtime during an economic downturn!:thumbup1:

Sorry, I was having fun playing with the smile list:wink:

Brownie:peaceful:

barnyard

KTM rider
I thought about working a 2nd job, but current DOT rules do apply to package car drivers. It won't be a problem until you get into an accident, then there will be problems.

I asked my supe for a couple extra hours a week. No problem.

TB

raceanoncr

I thought about working a 2nd job, but current DOT rules do apply to package car drivers. It won't be a problem until you get into an accident, then there will be problems.

I asked my supe for a couple extra hours a week. No problem.

TB

Again, I respectfully ask for proof that DOT rules apply to package drivers. I was p/c driver many yrs ago and nothing was said. Of course, there was no CDL then either. I had a truck license already from previous employment and moved into feeders and have been under DOT rules since.

Again, I'm not trying to rock the boat here, er, maybe package car, but DOT rules clearly state any vehicle over 26,000 lbs. Are p/cs licensed for over 26,000 lbs now? I don't know.

And, again, I know all the DOT rules regarding CDL drivers, but, where does it say that drivers that are NOT required to possess a CDL are under the same hourly rules or others that may seem to apply?

I'm not trying to be antagonistic here but I don't think p/c cares HOW many hours you work or WHAT you do outside "brown" life as long as it doesn't affect your showing up on Monday or whatever day you're scheduled to start.

Please correct me if where I err. (Like I know THAT ain't gonna happen!)

rod

Retired 22 years
We were always held to 60 hours in a 5 day period. I had a few times that they yanked me out of my package car at the pumps and made me punch out because I was pushing 60 for the week.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'm a friend/T driver and I work a second job too. I also work as a so-called moderator on some website.:wink2: