Any friend/t drivers working 2nd jobs?

brown67

Just curious if working a second job is allowed. Wonder if DOT would have a problem with that. Saw a job delivering newspapers to vending machines and c-stores in the morning. Called about it and pays pretty well, but decided against it, because I figured the DOT rules wouldn't allow me. Too many hours a week driving. Plus I know a driver that had a part-time job w/o any driving and UPS tried to make him quit. He got to keep his other job, but had to get an attorney to get UPS off his back.

DS

Fenderbender
I used to work at a flea market selling cd's every Sunday,as well as ft driving.I was getting $150 cash under the table,but I had to give it up .
I was a zombie .

Cementups

Box Monkey
I work on the weekends for my brother delivering inflatable moonwalks to kid's parties. I get paid cash anywhere from $300-$600 in a day and a half. I avg about $60/hour for actual work involved.

terrymac

the way I understand it as: any compensated endevors count against your DOT hours, not just driving news papers in your car but also driving a bike doing news papers or walking .. I could be wrong..........

terrymac

For your consideration: riding your bike delivering papers, or walking around delivering papers, would count against your DOT hours, they would be considered on duty/ not driving. Say your in pkg. you get off work at 8pm and your bartender job starts at 9pm and you work til midnight, those hours would make you avalible for your pkg. car route at 10 am..... you could run out of hours by thursday, and have one very unhappy sup..... just a thought.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I work on the weekends for my brother delivering inflatable moonwalks to kid's parties. I get paid cash anywhere from $300-$600 in a day and a half. I avg about $60/hour for actual work involved.

How much does he rent those things for? You can get them at the local rental store for about $150. I have a freind that gets $275 for company picnics and such.

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
I ref hockey on the side. Most nights that involves more driving than I do in a day at UPS. I guess I'm not full time thought, but I do work 35+ hours a week.

ol'browneye

Don't quote me on this but I believe you are not allowed to drive a commercial vehicle after working 60 hours in a week. You can work as much as you want but can't drive after 60. Any other job you have counts toward the hours worked!

paidslave

HI, all union members... From my understanding to be in good standing you cannot drive for a non union company while being union or collecting a union pension.....

Cementups

Box Monkey

How much does he rent those things for? You can get them at the local rental store for about $150. I have a freind that gets $275 for company picnics and such.

We rent for about $225-300 for a 6 hour party. We have larger units as well for more money. We have one that we rent for $750 for the day.

Cementups

Box Monkey
The last two years I used the money to clear myself of any outstanding debt like my credit cards. At 33 (allmost) I am one of few that is debt free. I used to be very bad with money but I have learned in the past few years to enjoy keeping it a litte more.

This summer's side income is hopefully going to pay off my 6 year car loan in 3 years. That will free up another $500/month in my account. After this year I am no longer doing. I'm gettn to old and my famliy ill probably get bigger and I want to be there for them.

raceanoncr

How can having a second job affect your DOT hours? Are package drivers under DOT rules?

Correct me if I'm wrong here but DOT regs state that anyone operating a CMV 26,000 lbs or over is required to possess a CDL, thereby putting them under DOT regs. Are package cars licensed for over 26,000 lbs? Are package drivers required to possess a CDL? Are package drivers required to fill out a driver's log every day, with spaces for "off duty, sleeper berth, driving, on-duty-not driving"? Does your center manager ask you every day you come in what "other" job you performed that weekend or evening to put you in jeopardy of working that day?

Sure, with feeder drivers, it's a different story. Whether you accrue hours with UPS or other companys, it all counts. But package cars?

Again, correct me if I'm wrong here, that is with package drivers, but if you do correct me, then prove it please so I will not be misinformed from now on.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
race ....... as a pkg car driver , you do follow the 60 hr dot regs,even though you don't have a cdl,you are driving a commercial vehicle and have to follw most of the rules. you dont have to be drug tested or if you get a dui it is .08 like a regular licsense unlike .04 with a cdl ! yes even off the clock in your own car....busted .04 i know a feeder driver who had a accident and had problems wit dot cuz he drove a dump truck on weekend for a landscaper hope this clears things up !!! 15 yr pkg driver 5 in feeders also if you drive within 100 air miles from your center you are not required to carry a log book

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Back in the late 70's I to work part time for 2 other companies driving tractor trailer. There was a change of operations and I did not follow the work. Still had bills to pay. UPS never made me log the other companies hours but the 2 part time companies did. The log books back then where referred to as comic books (funny papers) on the CB radio. Working those 2 other jobs made me grateful to have UPS as my primary employer. I would not advise anyone to do that it this day & age.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I used to snow plow for $75 an hour cash but it cut into my sleep and wasnt constant. Now that i have kids if im not delivering in a snow storm im at home making snowmen and having fun with the kids like a normal non-ups dad.