Any one from Montana? Missoula specifically? Looking to transfer.

Joe12mz3

I am currently in Puyallup Washington and am looking to maybe transfer to Missoula Montana. I was just wondering if there was anyone on here from that area and what they could tell me. How are the routes? How often are drivers hired since I would lose building seniority just wonder how long I would be at the bottom. I currently have the transfer if I want it but can't do the move just yet so I will try again later. I want to get connected with someone from there if there is anyone.

Thanks

Joe

I know there are a lot of old farts there. Call the center manager. Their number is on the transfer sheet you have to sign. Good gig if you enjoy 4 months of ice and snow on out of town routes.

DOK

I know there are a lot of old farts there. Call the center manager. Their number is on the transfer sheet you have to sign. Good gig if you enjoy 4 months of ice and snow on out of town routes.
I would bet it's at least 6 months of winter weather.

barnyard

KTM rider
I would be leery of moving to MT. The railroads have been in furlough mode for over a year. I would imagine that PT people there know that and know that UPS is one of the few really good FT jobs in some of those areas. Plus, there were many feeder bids that were 4 day bids that were changed back to 5 day bids. That put feeder guys back in package.

I would think that transferring to MT could be a very risky career move.

Dr.Brownz

I am currently in Puyallup Washington and am looking to maybe transfer to Missoula Montana. I was just wondering if there was anyone on here from that area and what they could tell me. How are the routes? How often are drivers hired since I would lose building seniority just wonder how long I would be at the bottom. I currently have the transfer if I want it but can't do the move just yet so I will try again later. I want to get connected with someone from there if there is anyone.

Thanks

Joe

Small center in a small town. You will be at the bottom for a while.

Small center in a small town. You will be at the bottom for a while.
It's considered a large center probably 40-45 routes and growing. Didn't see many layoffs during the recession. Probably has about 7 transfers working there now. Housing is probably cheaper in puyallup though.

So, joe, did you go? Have you packed everything up and sold the farm?
A few things to consider:

1) health benefits, you should be fine maintaining them during the transfer since you are covered two months ahead. But when you get there, you need 80 hours a month (not 40)
And you earn them only one month in advance. Your benefits will not be quite as good.

2) housing, it's not cheap. Easter wa. Even around seattle has better deals.

3) Wages, you can expect making about .75 less and pay an extra $50-$60 a week in state taxes.

4) Weather, hotter, smokey (when there is a fire near by) in the summer. Colder, snowy, icy in the winter. There are no snow days. Even when it's -12 in the morning (-35 with wind chill)

Transfers come when you least expect it, if you turn it down now, you will have to wait till next year. I doubt they will take a transfer 3 years in a row, but I guess it's possible. Someone could get mauled by a grizzly next year.

Joe12mz3

Yes I did go, move the wife and 5 kids out here Oct 2015 and we love it. Most of what you have said has been right. Very cold, very hot and very extended routes. This peak I was in a rented suburban doing 50 stops and driving 300 miles a day, it was nice. Its had its ups and down especially being at the bottom seniority wise. In the spring there was a few weeks where I only worked 4 days a week, 3 one week. It is growing tho already have 9 or 10 drivers under me in just over a year.

Yes housing is way more than I thought it was going to be but pay hasn't been an issue with taxes and what not.

Anyway, haven't been on here in a while so thought I would update everyone.

Thanks

Joe

Rack em

Made the Podium
Yes I did go, move the wife and 5 kids out here Oct 2015 and we love it. Most of what you have said has been right. Very cold, very hot and very extended routes. This peak I was in a rented suburban doing 50 stops and driving 300 miles a day, it was nice. Its had its ups and down especially being at the bottom seniority wise. In the spring there was a few weeks where I only worked 4 days a week, 3 one week. It is growing tho already have 9 or 10 drivers under me in just over a year.

Yes housing is way more than I thought it was going to be but pay hasn't been an issue with taxes and what not.

Thanks

Joe
Glad to hear it all worked out for you. I almost transferred to Missoula a few years back because it's a better town, but I'm in Montana either way so I'm happy plus I keep my seniority

DOK

Thanks

Joe
Glad it worked out for ya. Curious, what's the draw for transferring to Montana of all places, seems like you're not the only one from the responses? And also, what's the reason for the growth there and the fact you have a bunch of guys under you in such a short time?