Anyone hear about "Straight 8" for part-timers

NEBrown

Managers had a sign up sheet for part-timers to sign up for straight 8 hours for peak. If you choose to sign the sheet you would get more hours than someone with more seniority, but at straight time rather than overtime after 5 hours.
Why would the union agree with this? Is this the opening for straight time for the next contract during peak. They have already taken away overtime for Saturdays and Sundays during peak.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

5 hours @ $10/hr is $50 and 8 hours would be $80. 8 hours under the existing contract would be $95. 40 hours @$10/hr is $400 but would be $475 under the existing contract. 25 hours @ $10 would be $250.

Why did I post all of these numbers? Well, if you sign the sheet and get 40 hours each week you would gross $400--if you don't sign the sheet you would be cut off at 25 hours and would gross just $250. Yes, you would be losing $75, but would be making $150 more than you would be not signing the sheet.

I would ask your shop steward to contact your BA immediately for clarification of the union's stand on this issue. In the meantime, sign the sheet to get your 8 hours and then, if the union agrees that UPS cannot do this, grieve for the shortage in pay. If you don't sign the sheet you would be cut off at 5 hours and would have no basis for a grievance.

NEBrown

The union BA and UPS had a sitdown and is allowing this to occur. So I don't think a grievance after the fact is going to get us the money. Considering the stewart said it is a good thing and we should grab the extra hours.

The union BA and UPS had a sitdown and is allowing this to occur. So I don't think a grievance after the fact is going to get us the money. Considering the stewart said it is a good thing and we should grab the extra hours.
Who is Stewart and what does he know anyway??

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Then you should go grab those extra hours.

barnyard

KTM rider
The union BA and UPS had a sitdown and is allowing this to occur.

I am pretty sure this would fall under the "give the company flexibility under extreme business conditions during peak." That might not be the exact language, but I know there is language that allows the company to do this, as long as it is temporary and they give the local union notice.

My understanding is that the sign up sheet has to have a start time and an end time for the temporary conditions to exist.

If you want the extra dough, sign up.

UPSGUY72

Managers had a sign up sheet for part-timers to sign up for straight 8 hours for peak. If you choose to sign the sheet you would get more hours than someone with more seniority, but at straight time rather than overtime after 5 hours.
Why would the union agree with this? Is this the opening for straight time for the next contract during peak. They have already taken away overtime for Saturdays and Sundays during peak.

I would take that you are working the preload and local Sort to get your 8 ?? If your working 8 hours at one time in there needs to be a 1 hour unpaid lunch break.

It's always been that if you work more than 5 but less than 8 you get OT from 5-8. If you go over 8 OT doesn't start to you go over 8.

rocket man

managers had a sign up sheet for part-timers to sign up for straight 8 hours for peak. If you choose to sign the sheet you would get more hours than someone with more seniority, but at straight time rather than overtime after 5 hours.
Why would the union agree with this? Is this the opening for straight time for the next contract during peak. They have already taken away overtime for saturdays and sundays during peak.
never sign nothing except a bid sheet. And who said the union agreed ? Did you call the union and ask them if they agreed to that? The company cant change rules with out asking the union first if it has somthing to do with the contract please get involved?

mitchemracing4

I actually proposed this to my manager a while back . The Trucks I load get close to 1600 pieces every mourning and Im Allowed 5 hours to get the job done . Obviously I go over my 5 hours almost every day . So I asked about moving the 5 hours then overtime up to 6 hours then over time to keep them from fussing about me getting overtime . Needless to say they would not go for it . Bottom line Id be fine not getting overtime pay . Its not like us part timers get alot of it anyway with seasonal hires helping keep the extra volume loaded .

JonFrum

New England Brown, this language has been a part of the New England Supplement for years . . .

ARTICLE 55 PART-TIME EMPLOYEES
Section 1
"Part-time employees are defined as employees who, when reporting to work as scheduled, shall receive the [3.5 hour daily] guarantee provided in Article 22, Section 5(d), except for those part-time employees scheduled to work eight (8) hours. Should any part-time employee be required to work beyond the fifth (5th) hour he shall be paid one and one half (1 1/2) times his regular hourly rate for those hours worked in excess of five (5) hours on that day.

When an employee elects to accept an assignment to a second shift, prior to the end of their regular shift this provision shall not apply."
- - -
The really interresting question is where does Management get the right to send the non-signing senior guy home after five hours, to avoid paying him overtime, if the non-signer has more seniority than the guy who signed up for a "guaranteed straight eight?" If there is still work available beyond five hours, it should go to the senior people in seniority order regardless of pay status.

UPSGUY72

New England Brown, this language has been a part of the New England Supplement for years . . .

ARTICLE 55 PART-TIME EMPLOYEES
Section 1
"Part-time employees are defined as employees who, when reporting to work as scheduled, shall receive the [3.5 hour daily] guarantee provided in Article 22, Section 5(d), except for those part-time employees scheduled to work eight (8) hours. Should any part-time employee be required to work beyond the fifth (5th) hour he shall be paid one and one half (1 1/2) times his regular hourly rate for those hours worked in excess of five (5) hours on that day.

When an employee elects to accept an assignment to a second shift, prior to the end of their regular shift this provision shall not apply."
- - -
The really interresting question is where does Management get the right to send the non-signing senior guy home after five hours, to avoid paying him overtime, if the non-signer has more seniority than the guy who signed up for a "guaranteed straight eight?" If there is still work available beyond five hours, it should go to the senior people in seniority order regardless of pay status.

If you work over 8 your considered FT for the Day and OT doesn't start till after 8 hours.

NEBrown

Thanks JonFrum,

So is UPS is giving someone who signs the sheet full-time status through peak? The senior people who didn't sign the sheet the later start times. Some are still getting overtime after 5 hours, but not getting the earliest start times. Is this a violation of seniority rights?

UPSGUY72

If they are sending you home because you didn't sign the list that in violation of the contract file a grievance. Your in the union seniority rules.

JonFrum

Thanks JonFrum,

So is UPS is giving someone who signs the sheet full-time status through peak
? The senior people who didn't sign the sheet the later start times. Some are still getting overtime after 5 hours, but not getting the earliest start times. Is this a violation of seniority rights?

Part-timers who sign the sheet are still part-timers. They do not have full-time status just because they temporarily work (and are guaranteed) eight hours a day. Our top part-timer was hired in 1972 when the cement was still wet. He's been guaranteed eight hours per day for decades. But he's still a part-timer.

Early start times should be offered by seniority.

Read National Master Article 22, and the New England Supplement: especially Articles 55, 57, 66, and 67.

Then talk with your Steward and/or Business Agent.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Thanks JonFrum,

So is UPS is giving someone who signs the sheet full-time status through peak? The senior people who didn't sign the sheet the later start times. Some are still getting overtime after 5 hours, but not getting the earliest start times. Is this a violation of seniority rights?
IT is, but our local doesn't care.

I wrote about this in another thread last week.

Local is completely in bed with mgmt, nothing new. Part-timers are getting more hours than full-timers right now.

The worst part is that part-timers are setting themselves up to fail, when they volunteer, with LESS MONEY for MORE WORK. Most PT signing the list will start 1am to 2 am and finish before 9 (drivers take over pulls at start time), which is less than 8 hours.

Ah-ha! So no overtime after 5, still not making 8 - but that is because they agreed to it!

Last edited:

menotyou

bella amicizia
IT is, but our local doesn't care.

I wrote about this in another thread last week.

Local is completely in bed with mgmt, nothing new. Part-timers are getting more hours than full-timers right now.

The worst part is that part-timers are setting themselves up to fail, when they volunteer, with LESS MONEY for MORE WORK. Most PT signing the list will start 1am to 2 am and finish before 9 (drivers take over pulls at start time), which is less than 8 hours.

Ah-ha! So no overtime after 5, still not making 8 - but that is because they agreed to it!
Then, a letter to your state council is in order. I would sent the letter bulk to every one in the international, state council, DOJ, and the NLRB. They have NO RIGHT to do this. If you could take a picture of this paper, it would help.

rocket man

call the teamsters in washington dc want the number ill get you right to small package div for ups. but im not putting the number on this some moderator may not like it