Anyone unhappy they Retired? Or are YA HAPPY?

rod

Retired 22 years
Thanx, its been a long road. Decided to stay a few more years to dump more money into the 401k to offset the potential pension cuts in the CSPF and the increase in insurance premiums in Teamcare. Waiting also got me the $200 2017 pension increase which leaves me just short of $2800 going into the bank per month after taxes/healthcare and the 50% spousal survivor annuity costs. That's real close to what I've been bringing home the last few years maxing out my 401k. It sucked working those extra years, now that it's over I'm glad I did.

You are the only one I've ever heard of that took the 50% plan

rod

Retired 22 years
Really? Did you get your wife to sign off?

Everyone I know did. If you die they still get it for like 5 years and we took out a fairly nice insurance policy on me to make up any lost income for another 10 years or so after that. Everything we have is paid for - the wife would be able get along just fine without my piddly pension (hell its about to go away anyway). We decided the extra money per month was the best route to go. Our financial planner also said this was the best way to do it for us.

Notretiredyet

My financial guy did the numbers and it was cheaper than me getting life insurance to cover it. My wife works but never anywhere that offered a pension, she has IRA's and a 401k but has always stressed out about money. If it costs me a few bucks a month so she sleeps better I'm ok with it.

rod

Retired 22 years
My financial guy did the numbers and it was cheaper than me getting life insurance to cover it. My wife works but never anywhere that offered a pension, she has IRA's and a 401k but has always stressed out about money. If it costs me a few bucks a month so she sleeps better I'm ok with it.

You have to go with what your financial adviser says. Otherwise why have one.

Returntosender

The IRA rules changed according Edward Jones they will no longer accepts commissions for any transactions into the account. They say it's fee based according to the value of the account. They offer other plans where they manage account, however you to either drop 5 grand for you to manage the account or 25 grand for them to manage account.

Returntosender

Only a fool would follow their advice without doing their own due diligence.
Yes. Some of these advisors just want their cut of the fees when you make a transaction. A advisor advise me I can borrow against my account instead of going to bank for loans. I can payback what a I borrow at anytime and he only make .02% fee for the repayment.

twoweeled

Is that why at your age you live in an apartment with a cat and drive a womens car?
4604220-cats-laughing-so-hard.jpg

twoweeled

T
I have about 16 months (14 months working) before I am eligible to retire. Financially I will be fine. Emotionally I am already starting to have concerns.

I went down to spend the day with my daughter and grandchildren yesterday. We had a great day together. Part of the day was spent walking through the model cottage at a 55+ townhouse community. I had already walked through but wanted to get my daughter's opinion. She approved. We decided to save the "boundaries" conversation for a later date.

My concerns are finding meaningful ways to replace my current routine without having to rely on family to fill the void.
The overwhelming majority have second thoughts. I'm sure you hear everyone backing up on retirement. The most common excuse is; I'm gonna wait till my kids get outta school. Then it's; I'm putting my kids through college. Followed by I'm gonna wait till my grandkids get outta school, then when they get outta college and so on. Bottom line - they don't want to leave the money. We all know it. Nothing new.
Believe me. You'll find plenty to do. That's the least of the issues.

twoweeled

The weigh
Retired at the end of January after spending 39yrs at big brown(32FT/7PT) so far the only negative is that now I have to watch what I eat. Actually lost a few lbs since retiring and have put more miles on my motorcycle in the month of February than I ever have. Think I'm gonna enjoy this more than I ever imagined.
The weight gain thing, is really an issue. I can't stop gaining weight and I don't know why!
fatman.jpg

trickpony1

The IRA rules changed according Edward Jones they will no longer accepts commissions for any transactions into the account. They say it's fee based according to the value of the account. They offer other plans where they manage account, however you to either drop 5 grand for you to manage the account or 25 grand for them to manage account.

....and some people think this is a good deal? Seems rather pricey to me.

gear-guy

5 more days for me. I have a total of 41 years in and I always told my wife that I would know when it was time to go. Well now is the time, hurt all the time and not bouncing back like I use to so it's time to watch grandchildren, travel, fly fish and even bought some new golf clubs so I can yell 4 a lot! It really seams strange that I have worked all my live, grew up on a farm and had to work and now I'm not going too. A really weird feeling but I think I can get over it.

Shiftless

5 more days for me. I have a total of 41 years in and I always told my wife that I would know when it was time to go. Well now is the time, hurt all the time and not bouncing back like I use to so it's time to watch grandchildren, travel, fly fish and even bought some new golf clubs so I can yell 4 a lot! It really seams strange that I have worked all my live, grew up on a farm and had to work and now I'm not going too. A really weird feeling but I think I can get over it.

Congratulations! At first its gonna feel like one long vacation then slip into how did I ever have enough time to go to work! Stay busy! Stay Alive!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Have not quite got used to it, But I will. Spending more time with family, grandkids, my dog. Leaving for a week in Wisconsin Saturday. Rehabbing a house my son still owns for sale. Catching up on housework, reading, watching shows. Dining out, sitting down to enjoy a lunch, Planning my landscaping, shopping for materials, etc. Life is good
I remember feeling the same way ( not used to it ) for the first 6-8 months. You need time to decompress after a working life of 30-40 years.

Then we went thru a period about maybe going to work somewhere else ( lots of job offers when people know you worked at UPS ) for about 6 months.

Now , I have been out for over 18 months , and the last 6-7 months have been absolutely great! We are so busy and I love getting up early every morning because we have so much to do.

As soon as I could qualify to retire I did and don't regret it one minute. I tell everyone at my old hub "What are you waiting for?"

Get out while you still have some health left. I have lost 15 pounds. BP and all lab work is normal. Body has healed up from work related abuse. I am in better shape now than since I was 35.

I know why the OP posed this question. A little anxious about the thought of retiring. Don't look at it as retiring. Look at it as starting the next adventure in your life.

twoweeled

Glad to hear it, my brother. It'll probably be a little strange. Maybe not as strange as you're expecting, but maybe it will. bottom line is, I don't think you'll have any regrets. If you were an hours guy, like so many of us - you didn't have much of a life. It's time to live it now. Enjoy.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Unhappy cause?
Did you retire to young? Too Late? Do you miss the daily get up and go to work thing? Find out living with out a congested drive to work leaves you feeling empty? Do you miss the first look at your package car bubbling over with packages for everyone but you? Do you see where you coulda and shoulda done thing's different while you were working? Miss that certain Employee or Management person at work?

OR?

Happy Cause!
You plan your day? Wake when you want? Eat a dinner at a table like a normal human being at a decent hour? Happy you can get things done on your time frame? Found there is not enough time to Golf or work on your Hot Rods, Planes, Motorcycles, and Boats? Not wear anything Brown? Able to go to the bathroom with out having to figure out where one is? You see light at the end of a tunnel with your name in it? You get to enjoy watching drivers deliver x-mas packages all year long?

WHAT SAY YOU?
I'm loving it everyday!

The Milkman

41 years! You're killin me. I was lucky to only do 25 and out. Loving everyday the last 9 plus years I have been gone. Years that unfortunately go by way too fast, ones that you can never get back while staying any longer than you have to once you qualify for your pension benefit. Good Luck