Anyone unhappy they Retired? Or are YA HAPPY?

Shiftless

Kind of stinks that you can retire after 30 with no insurance. I would assume if you hung it up before 50 it would kick in after you turn 50? But you would of needed to start friend/T at Big Brown right out of High School to have that dilemma. When I hung it up insurance was included as long as you had 20 friend/T. I hung it up at 55 but I lucked out by starting at age 30 so I had the age and the 20 for medical. The ones who started at age 25 had to put in 30 to get what I qualified for. medical should be included in my opinion when you are eligible to retire regardless of age,our bodies are beat to crap by that then

I was one who left before 50. I was 49 and I had to wait till I had enough vacation and paid days to run me beyond my 50 birthday month so my insurance stayed intact and concurrent to switching over to retired. I did this buy saving vacation and sick days prior to me leaving for years. Technically I didn't retire until August but left in May. Actually a date I hope I can remember 05-05-05. I had saved so much vacation and sick days I was paid individual checks all the way into October. Best Payroll clerk EVER!

Now I am coming up on 62 years of age! So will I take my SS at 62? 66.2? or Mandatory draw age?

Choices ya gotta Love Choices!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Kind of stinks that you can retire after 30 with no insurance. I would assume if you hung it up before 50 it would kick in after you turn 50? But you would of needed to start friend/T at Big Brown right out of High School to have that dilemma. When I hung it up insurance was included as long as you had 20 friend/T. I hung it up at 55 but I lucked out by starting at age 30 so I had the age and the 20 for medical. The ones who started at age 25 had to put in 30 to get what I qualified for. medical should be included in my opinion when you are eligible to retire regardless of age,our bodies are beat to crap by that then
I lucked out starting in my mid 30's . had a ton of life experiences , travelling , partying, trying all kinds of jobs and getting it out of my system before settling down to the grind.

kinda feel sorry for people that start here right out of high school and then wait 30 years so they can do something .

for almost 20 years out of high school did not have much of a schedule or hardly even wore a watch.
I would not have changed a minute of it.

Shiftless

I lucked out starting in my mid 30's . had a ton of life experiences , travelling , partying, trying all kinds of jobs and getting it out of my system before settling down to the grind.

kinda feel sorry for people that start here right out of high school and then wait 30 years so they can do something .

for almost 20 years out of high school did not have much of a schedule or hardly even wore a watch.
I would not have changed a minute of it.

It is all about choices we make! I AGREE!

Gotta Love them choices! I chose to go into feeder at 23 years of age. Chose to get out on my timeline. Glad I was offered
these choices!

The Milkman

I was one who left before 50. I was 49 and I had to wait till I had enough vacation and paid days to run me beyond my 50 birthday month so my insurance stayed intact and concurrent to switching over to retired. I did this buy saving vacation and sick days prior to me leaving for years. Technically I didn't retire until August but left in May. Actually a date I hope I can remember 05-05-05. I had saved so much vacation and sick days I was paid individual checks all the way into October. Best Payroll clerk EVER!

Now I am coming up on 62 years of age! So will I take my SS at 62? 66.2? or Mandatory draw age?

Take the $$$ now, no guarantees with time left on this Orb

rod

Retired 22 years

Don't take early SS. ---------makes the pot last longer for me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

just got my statement yesterday.

$1800 at 62 or $3200 at 70.

but it takes 18 years to break even from 62-80 . to make the difference.

i'm taking it at 62.

I'm confused.

You have told us that you have been getting along just fine with just your pension and have not had to touch your investments.

Now you are saying that you want to take SS early.

Which is it?

By The Book

I'm confused.

You have told us that you have been getting along just fine with just your pension and have not had to touch your investments.

Now you are saying that you want to take SS early.

Which is it?
I think her statement is only in reference to taking SS early or waiting, not that she needs the money.

ski or die

Ski or Die
just got my statement yesterday.

$1800 at 62 or $3200 at 70.

but it takes 18 years to break even from 62-80 . to make the difference.

i'm taking it at 62.
The way I looked at it was the same, 18 years to break even. Your still young at 62 and able to travel quite a bit and enjoy life. When you get to 80, pretty much have everything you need and will not be traveling as much. So probably will be just putting money aside for the kids. Enjoy life while still young.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
IMO and in my case I will take it as soon as I can. No guarantees. No I dont need it, but I paid into it, I will take it, enjoy it more while I am young!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Does your wife get a portion of yours as well?, or is it something unique to your situation?

This is a quirk that I only found about recently.

Divorced couples where one person made more than the other can claim a portion of the higher wage earners SS without affecting his/her benefits. The bump will be a few hundred dollars per month, if that.

By The Book

This is a quirk that I only found about recently.

Divorced couples where one person made more than the other can claim a portion of the higher wage earners SS without affecting his/her benefits. The bump will be a few hundred dollars per month, if that.
Interesting...maybe that's why you have to wait until 67?, until you take SS. That's motivation for me to stay married then!