Anyone work on an Island?

barnyard

KTM rider
A couple of years ago the UPS magazine (which I think has since been discontinued) did an article on the guys that deliver to Madeline Island. No cars allowed, so the 5 that work there, work off horse drawn carts. Pretty cool article.

klein

Für Meno :)
DS is currently borrowed out to an Island.
I'm certain he'll share his experience being there, soon.

He is in St John's, Newfoundland currenty. (the city on the far right of the pic below ).

rod

Retired 22 years
A couple of years ago the UPS magazine (which I think has since been discontinued) did an article on the guys that deliver to Madeline Island. No cars allowed, so the 5 that work there, work off horse drawn carts. Pretty cool article.

Neat!----you could always blame the horse for being slow if you had a bad day. I have this vision in my head of an on car sup riding with the driver on the horse cart yelling "beat that SOB--make him go faster"

S

splozi

According to the wiki article for the island, "Cars aren’t used often on the island and walking or riding bicycles, which are available to rent, are the encouraged forms of transportation."

Unless the island was 100% privately owned, I don't think common laws would prohibit motor vehicles. My guess is that their road system wouldn't allow for UPS delivery trucks anyway.

barnyard

KTM rider
If the ferry will not bring a car to an island, it would be pretty hard to have a care there, eh.

The photos that accompanied the article showed some guys that looked like they liked their work.

rod

Retired 22 years
I believe barnyard is thinking of Mackinak Island. (pronounced MacKinaw). I've been to Mackinac Island, Michigan and I don't recall seeing any motorized vehicals. I'm thinking if you somehow managed to get one over there the locals would soon render it useless.

Mackinac Island Michigan 2010 - YouTube

bigblu 2 you

mackinaw island in the upper p of michigan used to operate the same way.ferrys,horse drawn wagons,etc.i used to envy that guy but the winters are brutal and the heaters on wagons suck.but if anyone gets a chance to go its one of the of the most beautiful places in america.sorry about the late post^^^

moreluck

golden ticket member
mackinaw island in the upper p of michigan used to operate the same way.ferrys,horse drawn wagons,etc.i used to envy that guy but the winters are brutal and the heaters on wagons suck.but if anyone gets a chance to go its one of the of the most beautiful places in america.sorry about the late post^^^
They featured a tour of that area on Little People in a Big World. Amy Rolloff is from Michigan and as a child, her family always vacationed there so she took her kids to see it.

texan

Sometimes I feel like my mind is an island and I'm the only one there.

You did not see me on the other side keeping quite and appreciating the sound thoughts and common sense
that you use as a Stewart?

Just like Solomon, should we cut the baby in half? The real mother cried out NO, let
her have him.

bigblu 2 you

They featured a tour of that area on Little People in a Big World. Amy Rolloff is from Michigan and as a child, her family always vacationed there so she took her kids to see it.
we lived in michigan when i was young and the u,p ,traverse city,petosky,were vacation hotspots along with frankenmuth,and taking a boat to cedar point{ohio} and crossing lake mich to milwaukee.memories

moreluck

golden ticket member
we lived in michigan when i was young and the u,p ,traverse city,petosky,were vacation hotspots along with frankenmuth,and taking a boat to cedar point{ohio} and crossing lake mich to milwaukee.memories
My high school class around the Ohio area are planning a bus trip to Frankenmuth.....for the Christmas shop there.