Are 13 to 14 hour days worthy of a NO vote?

If 70 hour work weeks are not eliminated will you vote NO?

• All forced 60+ hour weeks must be eliminated even during peak

Votes: 72 73.5%
  • I am OK with being forced to work 70 hours a week

Votes: 10 10.2%
  • I am not a package car driver

Votes: 16 16.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
How many years has UPS been in service? How many peak seasons? I've driven 30 peak seasons so far and the last one was the first to force 70 hours.
UPS got the job done all those other years without forcing 70.
You're not getting it.

What was peak volume compared to the rest of the year? How long was peak? Actual peak was a couple weeks when I started and only bad about 3 days. Things have changed a lot in those 100+ years.

livin the dream

I put my foot down on the 70 hour bs. driving after 60 hrs is illegal and unsafe per the law and yearly diad training before every peak. I'd love to see them discipline someone for refusing to drive after 60

Brownslave688

You've got a point. Time to give all those pusillanimous truck drivers 112 hour/7 day work weeks. If it works for the oil field workers, it should work for us.
That's a young mans game. I doubt there's many guys out there over 35.

Had a few buddies do it in their 20's for a couple years. Got them out of debt in a hurry but they hated it.

Brownslave688

Gotta be in a pretty desperate situation to put in 110 hrs a week around so much machinery and moving parts. Lose an appendage or get killed in a flash.
Man some guys just like money or are workaholics.

My cousin is a lineman. I've seen him after he worked 40 hours straight. Walking zombie. I'm like you're nuts to be messing with 250k+ volts in that condition.

Box Ox

Man some guys just like money or are workaholics.

My cousin is a lineman. I've seen him after he worked 40 hours straight. Walking zombie. I'm like you're nuts to be messing with 250k+ volts in that condition.

Yeah. For me, the UPS driver's job is just too constantly on the move, weight bearing and weather exposed for me to be able to see it as a job that could reasonably be expected to be performed for more than 55ish hours on a year-round basis.

Dhydratd

You're not getting it.

What was peak volume compared to the rest of the year? How long was peak? Actual peak was a couple weeks when I started and only bad about 3 days. Things have changed a lot in those 100+ years.
I completely "get it"! Doesn't friend'n matter! 60 hours is more than enough for any UPS driver for a week's work.
Back then, a driver rarely worked more than 45-46 hours per week. He wasn't totally burned-out before peak even arrived. These days, drivers in my building average 55-60 hour weeks year round not including peak. Adding an additional day + 10 more hours at peak is BS!! And nothing you can argue will change my opinion on this!

Last edited:

Integrity

Binge Poster
So what is your opinion...

Is UPS acting with integrity by forcing drivers to work 70 hours a week, depriving their children of their father for 6 strait weeks and endangering their safety?
My opinion is no, the management of UPS is not acting with integrity when forcing drivers to work 70 hours a week, depriving their children of their father for 6 strait weeks and endangering their safety.
I