Are Unload Stands Unsafe?

rodneystpete

I WORK IN THE UNLOAD DEPARTMENT PUTTING THE PACKAGES FROM THE TRAILERS ON TO THE BELTS.THEY HAVE UNLOAD STANDS THAT UPS SAYS ''FOR SAFTEY REASONS NEED TO BE IN THE TRAILER TO HELP BREAK DOWN THE WALLS''.THEY WANT YOU TO USE THEM FOR THE PACKAGES ON TOP..ALOT OF THE WALLS ARE UNSTURDY.LATELY THEY HAVE BEEN THREATING TO WRITE ME UP FOR NOT USEING THE UNLOAD STAND ..I FEEL THEY ARE DANGEROUS BECAUSE THERES NOT ALOT OF ROOM IN THE TRAILER WITH THE BELT AND THE UNLOADSTAND, I FEEL IT WILL MAKE ME LOSE MY BALANCE BECAUSE I AM THREE FEET UP IN THE AIR UNLOADING ON AVERAGE 40 POUND PACKAGES.IF THE WALLS WHERE TO FALL .IT WOULD BE HARD FOR ME TO GET OFF THE UNLOAD STAND WITHOUT THE PACKAGES FALLING ON ME..PLEASE LEAVE YOUR OPINION ON THIS TOPIC !!!!!!!!!!!THANKYOU .:confused:1

nyymt62

I disagree with you. The load/unload stands a burden for the loaders, where they just always seem to get in the way. But for unloading, I think they make the job a lot easier. In my opinion things are much more dangerous without one. When those walls fall it is not fun to be underneath them. With the load stands you can take the top packages down and make it a sizeable height before moving the stand and unloading the rest. I think a lot of it is personal perference though.

dillweed

The load stands are very sturdy and won't tip. At the very least take one into the trailer with you and have it on hand. dw

rngri4

The load stands are very sturdy and won't tip. At the very least take one into the trailer with you and have it on hand. dw

As the former shortest person at our building, I had one with my name on it, when I worked in the unload! I loved them, better than pulling down a wall and have a package hit you in the head.

cental34

Unload stands were created out of good intentions, but I find them inefficient and a burden in many cases. Most trailers I can unload easier and faster without them. When using unload stands, you have to take the time to move and adjust them to where you need them, many times you have to do it more than once for the same wall, and you have to take the time to adjust the belt. I find it easier to pick into the wall in the upper middle area, and create a tumbling zone where I can tip over side stacks without damaging anything. This method is looked down upon by the suits, but it works for me. My full time and supervisor never say a thing to me about it. They both know I'm fully aware of what I'm doing. However, if your superiors object, I'd reccomend following their orders. As part of your training, you're taught using an unload stand is the proper method, therefore they have every right to discipline you for not using it.

4th year unloader

Yes they are unsafe i have been working as an unloader for 4 years now and i have only actually found load stands useful a few times mostly they are in the way and if u ask me just putting one in your trailer is unsafe. i once was backing away from a falling wall and triped over backwards and hurt my wrist and back and when im on them i feel unsafe and worry about where i would go if a wall were to fall but i guess thats just a experienced unloaders opinion and not a supervisor who doesn't even remember what its like to unload

wornoutupser

I am in the same district as you are.

At least you still dont have to use portable rollers and stands that will not go to the nose of the trailer to unload! They are a PAIN to set up, add rollers to and then take out, not counting the lost time that you have putting packages back on them after they fall off!

Fnix

I never use them when I unload unless the walls are so packed and heavy. I use them 3 times a year, lol. I just keep one in the trailer at the front so it doesnt get in my way and keeps them off my back. One time I was on one and put all my weight to one edge and it tipped over and I slipped and cut my arms on the extendo.

I told management and showed them the cut and they said just keep it in the trailer at the front.

paganpink

I know that in our District we've NEVER had anyone injured by using an unload stand. I'm not saying that it's impossible- I'm saying that it hasn't happened- and I was around before an hourly suggestion resulted in them being created and used across the country. Maybe you would be more comfortable using the small single step ones rather than the the 2 step type which are much larger and harder to wrestle in and out of a feeder. Also, use your variable height extendos to raise them up to your power zone and it should help a lot. You seem to be an unloader that has gotten in the habit of "undercutting" the walls which is much more unsafe, not to mention causing damages, because of allowing the parcels to fall.That's just being lazy and is a bad idea all around. Follow the methods. We would have killed to have variable height extendos and load stands when I was an hourly in the seventies because it makes the job safer and easier when done right. USE the equipment as it was designed and stop fighting it and you will understand better.

over9five

Staff member
"...we've NEVER had anyone injured by using an unload stand."

All you really know is that you've never had an injury by using an unload stand REPORTED.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

About 2 or 3 years ago, an unloader had a wall collapse while he was on an unload stand. he fell backwards, hit his head on the belt control and was knocked unconscience and lost 2 teeth (molars). We were all very concerned for him and an ambulance came. All the sups were saying " get back to work dont worry about him" Isn't that awful ( but fashionable for management). All of us on the sort aisle were shocked to say the least....

Anyhow, dealing with the original post - the way I see it, having the stand in the trailer counts as "utilizing" it. If you don't want to use it, and you aren't doubled in a trailer (2 unloaders), go ahead and do it your way. Just make sure there's no sups on your back watching, and you're fine. Have the stand in there and go about your business.

LKLND3380

I WORK IN THE UNLOAD DEPARTMENT PUTTING THE PACKAGES FROM THE TRAILERS ON TO THE BELTS.THEY HAVE UNLOAD STANDS THAT UPS SAYS ''FOR SAFTEY REASONS NEED TO BE IN THE TRAILER TO HELP BREAK DOWN THE WALLS''.THEY WANT YOU TO USE THEM FOR THE PACKAGES ON TOP..ALOT OF THE WALLS ARE UNSTURDY.LATELY THEY HAVE BEEN THREATING TO WRITE ME UP FOR NOT USEING THE UNLOAD STAND ..I FEEL THEY ARE DANGEROUS BECAUSE THERES NOT ALOT OF ROOM IN THE TRAILER WITH THE BELT AND THE UNLOADSTAND, I FEEL IT WILL MAKE ME LOSE MY BALANCE BECAUSE I AM THREE FEET UP IN THE AIR UNLOADING ON AVERAGE 40 POUND PACKAGES.IF THE WALLS WHERE TO FALL .IT WOULD BE HARD FOR ME TO GET OFF THE UNLOAD STAND WITHOUT THE PACKAGES FALLING ON ME..PLEASE LEAVE YOUR OPINION ON THIS TOPIC !!!!!!!!!!!THANKYOU .:confused:1

I am not too far from you... Yes load stands help break down walls when properly used... 1st you must elevate the extendo up high and then just work across like you would normally... It is better than pulling down a wall and finding a over 70 crashing down... Plus you minimize breakage/damages to packages falling down - LEAKERS...

wornoutupser

I am not too far from you... Yes load stands help break down walls when properly used... 1st you must elevate the extendo up high and then just work across like you would normally... It is better than pulling down a wall and finding a over 70 crashing down... Plus you minimize breakage/damages to packages falling down - LEAKERS...

Extendos??? I remember seing them in your building. I wish that we had some!

en1983469

I have never used a load stand while unloading. The supervisors never say anything to me about it, then when the big wigs show up and we have safety audits they turn around and say keep load stands and tote boxes in the trailers with you at all times. I agree with you the load stands are not safe they just get in the way. For me i have had problems of the load stands getting under the belts and just plain get in the way.

LKLND3380

I have never used a load stand while unloading. The supervisors never say anything to me about it, then when the big wigs show up and we have safety audits they turn around and say keep load stands and tote boxes in the trailers with you at all times. I agree with you the load stands are not safe they just get in the way. For me i have had problems of the load stands getting under the belts and just plain get in the way.

They are safe as long as they are used properly... Using them properly does not mean 50,000 PPH... Using them properly means using safe work methods and labels up...

Watch the videoson the UPS website

Look at how slow the flow is, THAT IS PROPER FLOW TO ALLOW PROPER PPH... Not the ficticious numbers the center manager and supes pull from fantasy land...

Once you meet those numbers they will come up with new numbers and then new numbers... They force employees to cut corners and work unsafe to meet fantasy numbers...

Bottom line... Load stands are safe but slow down production numbers...

tieguy

Banned
They are safe as long as they are used properly... Using them properly does not mean 50,000 PPH... Using them properly means using safe work methods and labels up...

Watch the videoson the UPS website

Look at how slow the flow is, THAT IS PROPER FLOW TO ALLOW PROPER PPH... Not the ficticious numbers the center manager and supes pull from fantasy land...

Once you meet those numbers they will come up with new numbers and then new numbers... They force employees to cut corners and work unsafe to meet fantasy numbers...

Bottom line... Load stands are safe but slow down production numbers...

Videos actually shows them unloading at approximately 1200 pph. Good methods can get you that pace without having to work like a fool.

As another poster said the key to using a load stand is you keep the extendo close. You then slide the package towards the extendo which allows you to unload it with less effort then if you stand on the floor and fully handle each package. The load stand also allows you to work within your power zone which is also less wear and tear on your body. If you don't believe it then take a twenty pound package and hold it out in front of you for a minute with your arms fully extended. then take the package and hold it close to the body within your power zone. You'll find the package kept within your power zone is much easier to hold. The extra work outside of your power zone multiplied by 4000 packages translates into a lot more wear and tear on your body.

kenmei

it very "unsafe"cause most of the unloadstand here r broken lol.when u step on the unload stand u will feel like it will fall anytime.