Are Unload Stands Unsafe?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I am in the same district as you are.

At least you still dont have to use portable rollers and stands that will not go to the nose of the trailer to unload! They are a PAIN to set up, add rollers to and then take out, not counting the lost time that you have putting packages back on them after they fall off!

You just described the unload in Stuart, Florida.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Videos actually shows them unloading at approximately 1200 pph. Good methods can get you that pace without having to work like a fool.

As another poster said the key to using a load stand is you keep the extendo close. You then slide the package towards the extendo which allows you to unload it with less effort then if you stand on the floor and fully handle each package. The load stand also allows you to work within your power zone which is also less wear and tear on your body. If you don't believe it then take a twenty pound package and hold it out in front of you for a minute with your arms fully extended. then take the package and hold it close to the body within your power zone. You'll find the package kept within your power zone is much easier to hold. The extra work outside of your power zone multiplied by 4000 packages translates into a lot more wear and tear on your body.

Or just really huge arms and shoulders!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I WORK IN THE UNLOAD DEPARTMENT PUTTING THE PACKAGES FROM THE TRAILERS ON TO THE BELTS.THEY HAVE UNLOAD STANDS THAT UPS SAYS ''FOR SAFTEY REASONS NEED TO BE IN THE TRAILER TO HELP BREAK DOWN THE WALLS''.THEY WANT YOU TO USE THEM FOR THE PACKAGES ON TOP..ALOT OF THE WALLS ARE UNSTURDY.LATELY THEY HAVE BEEN THREATING TO WRITE ME UP FOR NOT USEING THE UNLOAD STAND ..I FEEL THEY ARE DANGEROUS BECAUSE THERES NOT ALOT OF ROOM IN THE TRAILER WITH THE BELT AND THE UNLOADSTAND, I FEEL IT WILL MAKE ME LOSE MY BALANCE BECAUSE I AM THREE FEET UP IN THE AIR UNLOADING ON AVERAGE 40 POUND PACKAGES.IF THE WALLS WHERE TO FALL .IT WOULD BE HARD FOR ME TO GET OFF THE UNLOAD STAND WITHOUT THE PACKAGES FALLING ON ME..PLEASE LEAVE YOUR OPINION ON THIS TOPIC !!!!!!!!!!!THANKYOU .:confused:1

I bet upstate freaked when he saw the size of these letters. Checkout the excessive punctuation.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Darn you youngsters have it easy.
Back when I was loading / unloading feeders we were lucky to have a solid flap to stand on.
Didn't have any of this fancy equipment that you have now.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Darn you youngsters have it easy.
Back when I was loading / unloading feeders we were lucky to have a solid flap to stand on.
Didn't have any of this fancy equipment that you have now.

Got to call you on that one...I remember using load stands 35 years ago. But I did have to walk to work uphill both ways.

tieguy

Banned
Jeez... Why do you think the operation has to keep ordering new ones, Tie Guy? Do you think they are getting lost? Walking out through the guard gate? No? Maybe you think they are being retired because they become cosmetically imperfect? Try dented, out of square and unstable, ripped and splitting bottoms, anti-slip tape worn off, ... Open your eyes and look at the big yellow things in all the stages of their journey to the garbage compacter. It's not like they're hard to find.

I missed this response before. My question was a question asking about the damage , not a denial that damage occurs.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I never even knew those yellow step things were called load stands. I never, ever, used one as I didn't know they existed for that purpose. I'm old school too, unload, lift flaps, unload and move on to the next pup. I actually thought load stands were to make it easy to step outside to the ground.:happy-very:

bonedog

Unload stands are an important safety aid but in some circumstances can actually make things more dangerous. I use them most of the time when unloading. There are circumstances where you are better off without them. If the walls of packages are unstable and leaning forward toward you, then you are better off without a load stand because you need to be ready to quickly move out of the way. Also, often times 1 or more of the rubber pegs on the bottom of the load stand are missing which make standing on it like balancing on a teeter-totter. This is a constant problem in my hub because there is no good place to store them when not in the truck. They are bulky and cumbersome and the unload area was never designed to accommodate them. (or extendo's or irreg slides or PAS equipment which has been shoehorned in for that matter) All that said, if you have a truck that was loaded half-way decent (which I know can be rare at times) it will take a lot of strain off your back. I think the reason people don't like them is they feel like it slows them down. It probably does slow you somewhat but not nearly as much as you think. I for one am not gonna cause myself undue strain to make a door break 2 minutes earlier than it would have.

sx2700

Banned
Yeah, and what about the blacks, the jews and the gays?:surprised:

I dunno, what about them? I don't work with any so I can't say. But I do work with women and kids that have no business being there. They can't do the job and it makes my night longer. Take your politically correct, affirmative action BS and shove it.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Let me guess--you also walked 5 miles uphill each way to school every day.

Nah only a couple of blocks, downhill.
A local catholic school .

Being 6'2" I could touch the inside roof of the feeders easily.
Besides I never saw a load stand until a couple of years ago.
And for the last few years when it came time to say load a feeder during peak with grounds that had been picked up on a Sat. , the people loading were unbelievably rotten in load quality. I had to jump in there , straighten up the load, & teach them how to do it properly. Many ( including sups ) have no idea other then just to physically throw everything in.

gandydancer

I never even knew those yellow step things were called load stands. I never, ever, used one as I didn't know they existed for that purpose. I'm old school too, unload, lift flaps, unload and move on to the next pup. I actually thought load stands were to make it easy to step outside to the ground.:happy-very:

Don't seem to use Z's as much any more around here, and except for loading the nose of one whose roller extension is gone, it's hard to see why you would need a stand in a trailer with flaps. But you also said you used the portable rollers, and if you knew what was meant (the roller segments which hook together or, after a little bit of wear, have to be overlapped) you would have to have loaded/unloaded flatbeds w/o using an extender. For my part I think it's easiest and safest to (carefully) tear a hole in the middle of a wall and establish an erosion channel rather than try to reverse-load, but that's sure not the Method.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Don't seem to use Z's as much any more around here, and except for loading the nose of one whose roller extension is gone, it's hard to see why you would need a stand in a trailer with flaps. But you also said you used the portable rollers, and if you knew what was meant (the roller segments which hook together or, after a little bit of wear, have to be overlapped) you would have to have loaded/unloaded flatbeds w/o using an extender. For my part I think it's easiest and safest to (carefully) tear a hole in the middle of a wall and establish an erosion channel rather than try to reverse-load, but that's sure not the Method.

Yeah, been a driver for quite awhile now and get called in every so often for preload. I've unloaded the trailers with the rollers you're talking about. Wish that when they phased the old pups out, they would have phased in new equipment.

UPSNewbie

I actually miss my unload job. (Injured right now. They have me consolidating forever bags.) But I certainly don't miss the "manual extendo." They loved to put me on those particular bays.

Apollo

The hole in the wall method is how i was taught to unload!:happy-very: Now i'm getting "red cards" (don't know what the bloody hell those are) for not using anload stand. I think it's bull anyways, I'm 6'5" for crying outloud, i have to duck in drop frame trailers. In my experience, it takes longer (especially on certain doors whose hydraulic system is fading), takes up space, they're broken most of the time, I can reach the top of the walls in most trailers without one, and if a wall starts falling,(I'm looking at you CA Loaders! :angry:), You're as good as injured. So why use them? I've had 4 sups (in a year) and this newest guy is the first to give me any crap about it, and he didn't for the first 3 months he was my supervisor. In my personal opinion, LOAD stands are for just that, loading.