Are UPS Drivers Living paycheck-to-paycheck?

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

It’s not living paycheck to paycheck. It’s living above your means. 4500 square foot houses, two cars, motorcycles, boats. I love when people complain that their wages are stagnant and how their dad could work one job while mom stayed at home back in the 60s. Your parents in 1966 didn’t have 8 10$ a month streaming services, an extra car payment, cell phone, cable, internet bills. Didn’t blow 1,000$ every year on a new phone and didn’t have fifty appliances in the kitchen.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
It’s not living paycheck to paycheck. It’s living above your means. 4500 square foot houses, two cars, motorcycles, boats. I love when people complain that their wages are stagnant and how their dad could work one job while mom stayed at home back in the 60s. Your parents in 1966 didn’t have 8 10$ a month streaming services, an extra car payment, cell phone, cable, internet bills. Didn’t blow 1,000$ every year on a new phone and didn’t have fifty appliances in the kitchen.
The lure of keeping us with the Jones is still alive.
It's true my parents didn't have all these things.
Instead they had 13 kids.
Which ate up a majority of their income.
I grew up wanting more but that never happened.
Learn to get by with less and a majority of your financial issues will be gone.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You left out the boat, motorcycle, and Disney vacations.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
I do not live paycheck to paycheck and I’m not at top rate
I don’t spend money I don’t have to. I have everything I need and anything I want other than the house I bought, I pay for cash.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Time for contract winding down. Step up payroll deduction program for personal strike leverage.

For the average part timer it is next to impossible...20 hours a week making close to 18 an hour...clears 260...after taxes...

I gross more in one day than the kid took home in a week.

If 70% of the total UPS Union workforce is part time it could play with the voting...as the deadline approaches expect some calculated scare tactics.. especially on B/C..

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

For the average part timer it is next to impossible...20 hours a week making close to 18 an hour...clears 260...after taxes...

I gross more in one day than the kid took home in a week.

If 70% of the total UPS Union workforce is part time it could play with the voting...as the deadline approaches expect some calculated scare tactics.. especially on B/C..
People seem to forget that part time work or non skilled work isn’t supposed to be a job that pays the bills and that you can live off. McDonald’s workers and UPSs loaders are supposed to be 18-24 year old young adults in college for extra money. Not to raise a family on.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
People seem to forget that part time work or non skilled work isn’t supposed to be a job that pays the bills and that you can live off. McDonald’s workers and UPSs loaders are supposed to be 18-24 year old young adults in college for extra money. Not to raise a family on.
It’s interesting to see how few teenagers and young adults work at fast food anymore. I see them mostly at Chick-fil-A. Mostly older adults at other fast food places.

DELACROIX

It is not like the old days when UPS had the pick of the litter...most of the part timers today are not college kids, we are now hiring ex cons and they are our best workers.

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
It is not like the old days when UPS had the pick of the litter...most of the part timers today are not college kids, we are now hiring ex cons and they are our best workers.

What happens when a company loses it standards. Place looking like Amazon where they’ll take anyone now.

GenericUsername

I'm on the verge of being paycheck to paycheck but that's literally my own doing. We're not living above means at all. The issue now is that not only are things more expensive but our local electric company imposed an extra hike for no reason whatsoever other than them being greedy. So now instead of having a $200-250 electric bill we're pushing $400-500. Add in the fact my daughter is doing virtual school still since her immune system is absolute rubbish and Covid would still mess her up, her Mom not working to stay home with her and effectively be a homemaker for the time being... it's rough. But, we're getting by. Once it cools off some and we're not constantly at 100+ I'll pick up more OT, but for the time being...we're okay.

Brownwind

I know plenty who get their check Thursday after work and it's gone by Monday.
Best way to avoid this is to put the first five hundred of your check in the savings account. Build up your savings and then hold back a check for a week. After a few months you’ll always be ahead and have some savings.

I know this a generic post but it works for many in our center. Keeping the financial house in order is key to avoiding the stress that comes from being broke.

DELACROIX

I'm on the verge of being paycheck to paycheck but that's literally my own doing. We're not living above means at all. The issue now is that not only are things more expensive but our local electric company imposed an extra hike for no reason whatsoever other than them being greedy. So now instead of having a $200-250 electric bill we're pushing $400-500. Add in the fact my daughter is doing virtual school still since her immune system is absolute rubbish and Covid would still mess her up, her Mom not working to stay home with her and effectively be a homemaker for the time being... it's rough. But, we're getting by. Once it cools off some and we're not constantly at 100+ I'll pick up more OT, but for the time being...we're okay.

Everybody is being gouged now...hang in there 👍