Are you ready for 30% more work? The perfect storm?

It's not the first peak this has happened or the first peak itself for that matter. Somehow we survived. We'll survive this one.

But I'm in feeder so it never changes for me either way but I'll be thinking of you guys every step of the way.

2012 21 business days between Thanksgiving and Christmas. 2013 17 business days between Thanksgiving and Christmas. That means that there was 23% more time last year between Thanksgiving and Christmas. UPS predicts peak volume to be up 8% this year. 23% less time to do 8% more work is an increase of over 30%. Ups is hiring the same amount of seasonal hires as it did in 2011 and 2012. Here is the plan: "UPS executives said that this year's late Thanksgiving holiday, Nov. 28, will be a challenge. Cramming holiday shipments into fewer days could make the network run more efficiently" Could make the network run more efficiently??? And if not, then what?? Oh, thanks for "cramming". Will make my checks look all that much better!! Throw in a major storm and we are all friend'd. All the info listed above can be found here: UPS more than doubles 3Q profit - Yahoo Finance
Most people are already pushed to the max so I would get to worried. The production push has reached its peak. Do what you do and they'll figure it out. Everything always gets delivered.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
Cram what ever they want. I can only work 12 hour per day. I don't go any faster just because it's peak. Work like a fool and you will get more work.

To UPS its really just 8 hours of work you take 12 hours to do. Its all your fault.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
It's not the first peak this has happened or the first peak itself for that matter. Somehow we survived. We'll survive this one.

But I'm in feeder so it never changes for me either way but I'll be thinking of you guys every step of the way.

Dem pakagiz goin get delvad our som one gonna git hoit.

[video=youtube;aRM2YcGpmxg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRM2YcGpmxg[/video]

Did you recently sign the Hours of Service certification? You can work up to 14 hours per day but can only drive for 12.
You can drive 14 hours if you are a short hauler. If a long hauler you can drive 13.5 and a 1/2 hour down time. As a ups driver the company wants hour down time then 13 hours which makes 14. So if you start at 0840 you would have to punch 2240 out with or with out lunch.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Did you recently sign the Hours of Service certification? You can work up to 14 hours per day but can only drive for 12.

Good thing I don't sign anything they hand out.

Anyway, my am and pm is only about 10-15 minutes each, so 12 hours plus a few extra. Still, only so many stops can be done. Jam the truck, and even less gets done.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Either way you look at it your working til at least 10pm every night and 60 hours a week. If it all gets done everyday it does if it doesn't, sheeting missed aint my problem lol. Theres always tomoorow lol.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
With all those extra hours it looks like there's going to be a few more presents under the Christmas tree this year. :santa:

UPSGUY72

Well it a good thing that you will never drive 14 hours as a package car driver even it your on the clock for 13 hr and 59 min. The only rules package car drivers need to know are the 14 and 10 and 60 hr rules.

1. You can't work more than 14 hours in one day

2. you need 10 hr's off between shifts.

3. You can't work more than 60 hrs a week ***

4. If you have a side job after work that you get paid for those hrs also count towards your 14 and 6o hrs.

*** 60 hrs could change to 70 hrs but that depends on whether your work week is 7 or 8 days. You would also have to have a period of 34 consecutive hrs off which would include to periods between 1-5 am. With is highly unlikely for a package car driver.

UPSGUY72

Either way you look at it your working til at least 10pm every night and 60 hours a week. If it all gets done everyday it does if it doesn't, sheeting missed aint my problem lol. Theres always tomoorow lol.

Not in my building according to upper management helpers are being used everyday even if it means we are dispatched with a 8.1 hr day.