Area 51

silverbullet2893

KILL KILL!!
Settle down greeno... Settle down!!!
IMG_1614.GIF

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
There are some really cool videos of people driving out to the gate off hwy 395 and getting buzzed by choppers... Then there's another video I saw where 2 30 year olds went out there in a camper and spent a couple days at the gate and would occasionally flash the camo dudes their boobs... Pretty funny.
People associate it with Aliens, but it's part of a massive military test complex.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
If you look at the base back in the 50's and now there is a huge difference... They have a couple runways that are longer than any aircraft even need...twice as long...
The asphalt one at Groom Lake really isn't that long. JFK has 2 that are longer. The salt flat runways are pretty long. But I know Edwards AFB had one that was 34,000 feet long. It was simply for rocket powered aircraft that couldn't just fly around if they missed their touchdown point. They would still have 5 miles to go.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The asphalt one at Groom Lake really isn't that long. JFK has 2 that are longer. The salt flat runways are pretty long. But I know Edwards AFB had one that was 34,000 feet long. It was simply for rocket powered aircraft that couldn't just fly around if they missed their touchdown point. They would still have 5 miles to go.

Our flightline (Plattsburgh AFB) is 2 miles long.