Area 51

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Those early SAC bombers needed a lot of room.
I keep thinking about the B-47 after reading his post. Thing was the ultimate pig. Needed a 10,000 foot runway to takeoff. Then they decided to put a bunch of rocket canisters in back to give it a little extra "oomph" and cut it down to 7500 feet. Then on landing they needed a parachute because they needed to keep the power up in case they had to go around, first generation turbojets took forever to spool back up.

Now I want to watch Strategic Air Command with James Stewart

oldngray

nowhere special
I keep thinking about the B-47 after reading his post. Thing was the ultimate pig. Needed a 10,000 foot runway to takeoff. Then they decided to put a bunch of rocket canisters in back to give it a little extra "oomph" and cut it down to 7500 feet. Then on landing they needed a parachute because they needed to keep the power up in case they had to go around, first generation turbojets took forever to spool back up.

Now I want to watch Strategic Air Command with James Stewart

I think when the B-36 first came out there were only 4 runways in the world it could land on. They changed the undercarriage and got rid of those ginormous tires so the weight was distributed more evenly and it could land at more places.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I think when the B-36 first came out there were only 4 runways in the world it could land on. They changed the undercarriage and got rid of those ginormous tires so the weight was distributed more evenly and it could land at more places.
I believe you are correct. Love the slogan for that one "Six turning and four burning" for the 6 props and 4 jets. The even crazier part about the jets it they only used them for takeoff. Otherwise the thing would have needed a runway stretching from Dallas to Houston to see the sky.