Article 40 (Air Operation) question

air_dr

Below is a quote from the TA:

(5) Pick up at air counters and drop boxes. The Company shall not expand the utilization of part-time employees to pick up drop boxes, including those containing ground packages. The Company shall
provide the International Teamsters Union with a report no later than March 1, 2013 and, thereafter, an
annual report by August 15th of each year for the prior contract year identifying for each Local Union the
total number of drop boxes being picked up by regular full-time package drivers, full-time air/combo
drivers, and part-time air drivers. The ratio of drop boxes picked up by regular full-time package
drivers, full-time air/combo drivers and part-time air drivers shall be maintained within two (2)
percentage points during the term of this Agreement. Additional drop boxes will be picked up by the
same ratio of regular full-time drivers, full-time air/combo drivers and part-time air drivers as
established by the March 1, 2013 report. The size and dimensions of drop boxes existing on February 1,
2013, and those added thereafter, shall not be increased, without the consent of the Union.

Can someone explain how anyone at the present time or later provide a report BY March 1, 2013?!?

air_dr

The contract language I quoted above at the start of this thread is very unclear to me. I hope someone else understands it better than I do and even more importantly that UPS and the Teamsters are on the same page as to what all of those words above exactly mean.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
It was language that was agreed to early in the negotiations. The company has probably already given the list of drop boxes to the union since it's about that time from the previous year. It's a list of letter boxes in the area and what kind of employee is picking it up. The letter box in front of our building is picked up by a pt air driver that goes to the airport. The letter box at a local center on Saturday is picked up by a Sat Air driver. They want to make sure UPS isn't sending out supervisors or pt employees to pick up these boxes, and to maintain the work to full time employees. Why this is under article 40 is a bit of a stretch, but at one time I believe only air drivers picked up drop boxes.

air_dr

Perhaps, but as I read the text, it seems future tense to me:
The Company shall
provide the International Teamsters Union with a report no later than March 1, 2013
And while I am grateful for two people who have made an honest attempt to answer the question, reading things like "I BELIEVE..." and "the company has PROBABLY..." isn't too reassuring.