Asking for irreg help, wussy or nothing wrong with it?

Dr.Brownz

We have a driver who asks for help all the time. Has nothing to do with being a wussy. He's a "bullseye" driver and has no problem interfering in another drivers day. It's all about messing with mgmt in his eyes.

I wouldn't just assume this driver is a wuss. He might have ulterior motives

If all the :censored2:s would grow balls we wouldn't have to do that

moldsporh

It's real simple, if you get injured, maybe hurt your back, they will ask you why you didn't ask for help with an over 70 pkg.

I place my handcart against the rear bumper, slide the box out, then leave it where the cart can get to.

3rd floor apartment and it's a 130lb bowflex.....someone's coming to help. I can lift it, but it's not worth the litigations.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Article 44 language was brought to you by a good friend of mine in Local 104. We had a one day nationwide strike because of the way the Company implemented Over 70's without bargaining over the change. It is one of the few instances where you, as the Driver or the inside employee, have all the power to use your judgment as to whether the provided lifting device or demand bargaining unit assistance. You can refuse to handle an Over 70 on route if the Company does not provide such assistance without fear of discipline. I personally did so quite often, and if there was no assistance the next day I would bring it back again. Third time was always the charm. If Drivers were smart they would organize & collectively use this language religiously. Besides saving their backs and knees, the Company would be compelled to implement Irreg Only runs where two employees would deliver Over 70's all day long similar to how they are handled separately inside the building. Wouldn't that be nice? This is powerful language that seems to be ignored because of a shortsighted 'macho' attitude. Nobody looks very macho using a walker.

Use it or lose it.

Article 44 language was brought to you by a good friend of mine in Local 104. We had a one day nationwide strike because of the way the Company implemented Over 70's without bargaining over the change. It is one of the few instances where you, as the Driver or the inside employee, have all the power to use your judgment as to whether the provided lifting device or demand bargaining unit assistance. You can refuse to handle an Over 70 on route if the Company does not provide such assistance without fear of discipline. I personally did so quite often, and if there was no assistance the next day I would bring it back again. Third time was always the charm. If Drivers were smart they would organize & collectively use this language religiously. Besides saving their backs and knees, the Company would be compelled to implement Irreg Only runs where two employees would deliver Over 70's all day long similar to how they are handled separately inside the building. Wouldn't that be nice? This is powerful language that seems to be ignored because of a shortsighted 'macho' attitude. Nobody looks very macho using a walker.

Use it or lose it.
I have cleaned up the belts of oversize and overweights before. Just go out and deliver at my own pace. Of course then some of the drivers are complaining I am doing drivers work. Sometimes you just cannot win.

km3

Article 44 language was brought to you by a good friend of mine in Local 104.

Please say "Thank you" for me.

Besides saving their backs and knees, the Company would be compelled to implement Irreg Only runs

My building has several doors that are dedicated to irregs only. Irreg-only trailers are easy, since the driver doesn't need to handle them directly. I think what's holding the company back in irreg-only routes is the need to pay two people per car. I don't see it happening unless they can convince the union to let them pay helper wages, instead of driver wages, to the second person. Or unless people start using the Article 44 language.

This is powerful language that seems to be ignored because of a shortsighted 'macho' attitude. Nobody looks very macho using a walker.

You got that right. You only have one body, why take the risk? To get home an hour sooner? I ask for help with over 70s multiple times a day inside the building. I don't care what the others around me think. I'm not going to get injured because of pride.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You got that right. You only have one body, why take the risk? To get home an hour sooner? I ask for help with over 70s multiple times a day inside the building. I don't care what the others around me think. I'm not going to get injured because of pride.

There is little to no disruption to the operation when you ask for help for each and every Over 70 inside the building.

It could be a different story on road.

Over 70

There is little to no disruption to the operation when you ask for help for each and every Over 70 inside the building.

Wrong again. If I asked for help with every single over 70 unloading a trailer the operation would slow down pretty quick. It's a nice way to send a message when they tell you you're not going fast enough.

They aren't a big deal to unload alone using the methods but speed isn't part of it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Wrong again. If I asked for help with every single over 70 unloading a trailer the operation would slow down pretty quick. It's a nice way to send a message when they tell you you're not going fast enough.

They aren't a big deal to unload alone using the methods but speed isn't part of it.
I guess you know a thing or two about Over 70.

km3

There's no disruption to the operation, period. Only mismanagement. They know we have the right to ask for help with over 70s, and thanks to IE, they have a rough idea of how many irregs there are going to be. If they fail to plan accordingly, that's on them.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

There's no disruption to the operation, period. Only mismanagement. They know we have the right to ask for help with over 70s, and thanks to IE, they have a rough idea of how many irregs there are going to be. If they fail to plan accordingly, that's on them.
Perfectly said...end of story

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Please say "Thank you" for me.

My building has several doors that are dedicated to irregs only. Irreg-only trailers are easy, since the driver doesn't need to handle them directly. I think what's holding the company back in irreg-only routes is the need to pay two people per car. I don't see it happening unless they can convince the union to let them pay helper wages, instead of driver wages, to the second person. Or unless people start using the Article 44 language.

Happy to!

I'm not aware of an instance where the Company has asked to use Helpers/Helper Wages for a dedicated Over 70 route. Seems like it would be easy to have done that to satisfy the promised FT jobs in various contracts, such as having Combo O70 Helper/Preload or Twilight for example.

vvv

Use it or lose it.
EXTREMELY well put......nice post buddy!!!!

rod

Retired 22 years
If you can't deliver a 70+ by yourself, you're not kicking any punks ass.

Depending on how much over 70 they were I would usually ask the customer for a little help if it was something that had to be moved a distance and using a two wheeler wasn't an option. If I didn't like the customer I would tell them I would be back with it the next day when I had help. Once they saw you shutting your door they would change their mind and help. I never had anyone tell me to bring it the next day. I preferred to work smart. That's why I was able to retire in good health with a usable back. If you want to pretend you are Joe Muscle go for it---just don't complain when one day you feel that little twinge of pain in your back and all of a sudden you have shooting pains going down your leg. Its too late then.

cardboard-surfer

Sups won't be so sympathetic when you do an over-70 and get injured. They won't "high five" you anymore or say "atta boy". You're damaged goods and if you sue they'll just say, "He had the choice to ask for help and he declined; it's all on him." Lawsuit dropped, case closed, and there you are, on the corner with a broken back.

However, if you're before your 30 WORKING days then lift everything you can, otherwise you'll be let go. But if you're before your 30 then you better be young enough to lift 149 lbs by yourself.

Also, the help isn't always so "helpful". One time I asked for help at the end of shift and the outbound FT sup "helped" by practically lifting the package with his pinky. So technically I had "help" per the contract. Typical sup behavior.

Another time I got help and the "help" intentionally let go when the sup's back was turned, so I held the 140 lber for a split second myself. Not a big deal to me, but these are things you better expect.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I didn't like helping drivers whose motive was to screw with management. I told them that it was their deal and not involve me in their games.

otherwise , I would always help.

Dr.Brownz

So today I learned there is a driver who is out on injury. This driver has given me crap before in the past for asking for help with over 70's. And guess what? They hurt themselves trying to move an over 70lb package.

It's not worth it guys. Don't play managements game and harass drivers for them