At UPS, the Algorithm Is the Driver

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Our dispatcher is the red headed step child bastard of EDD. He doesn't care how bad his dispatches are. Our DOLs have been jacked up since day one (going on nine years now) he refuses to fix anything. And now they expect ORION to work? Now that's funny.

If I didn't know better, I'd say you work in my old building.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
My last PDS in delivery was the absolute worst but really I owe him one because if it wasn't for him I might never have signed that feeder bid sheet.

BrownArmy

We used to have a superhero for dispatch, but he was transferred to another building.

The new guy just doesn't give a chit, and it shows.

Just terrible, really really terrible.

Half the routes in my center have good DOLs, the rest are complete garbage.

It's like we need an act of Congress to make any changes, so you know, garbage in, garbage out.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
TSP = Total Service Plan? Care to break it down for us?
For a detailed explanation just google TSP or see Wikipeda.

I'll give you the basics. TSP (Traveling Salesman Problem) on which Orion is based originated in the 1800s as Irish mathematician William R. Hamilton considered a way to compute the shortest route a salesman could take upon leaving his hometown, calling on his accounts and returning home.

Later British mathematician Thomas Hinkman's work led to Karl Menger proposing a brute force algorithm (computing every possible route and selecting the one with the shortest distance).

Around 1930 Princeton mathematician Hassler Whitney named this concept TSP.

Considerable contributions in refining algorithms where made by George Dantzig, Selmer Johnson and the renown Delbert Fulkerson at Santa Monica's Rand Corporation in the 1960s.

Until this point advancements in computers and algorithms led to more and more cities or in our case, stops or individual addresses being considered for solution inclusion.

Dr. Arora broke ground when he found or rather envisioned a way to restate the TSP concept as a calculus equation to which the first branch of calculus (the derivative) would be useful.

Upon solving the equation he found that as friend(x) where x=optimal solution, approaches infinity (considering the many variables and with a permissible solution acquisition time of 1 hour) the result was 85%.

This meant that regardless of available computational power or algorithm elegance, the best result that can ever be achieved is 85%.

You should look deeper into this particularly in the field of cognitive research as scientist there have shown repeatedly that humans with no previous training can outperform the best computer and best algorithms, arriving at solutions 92 to 97 percent of optimal within 5 minutes.

The best computers would take a month to match that.

And computers don't provide an 85% result constantly. Remember 85% is the very best you'll ever get. Most times its between 30 to 60% of optimal. Just change 1 thing in a DOL and rerun Orion and see how many different results you get. Then consider the nearly infinite variables a driver takes into account each and every day.

So now, cognitive research is centered on discovering what enables humans to do such a good job with so many variables in such a short amount of time. If an algorithm could be formulated that would be half as good imagine the applications.

The defense industry has.

By the way, Dr. Arora's work has been authenticated by the mathematical and computer community. Hence the Godel Prize in 2008.

A bit long winded, I know. But check his research and you'll see that Orion is nothing but a blind alley.

TBH

An officially retired Oregonian .

I'll give you the basics. TSP (Traveling Salesman Problem) on which Orion is based originated in the 1800s as Irish mathematician William R. Hamilton considered a way to compute the shortest route a salesman could take upon leaving his hometown, calling on his accounts and returning home.

Later British mathematician Thomas Hinkman's work led to Karl Menger proposing a brute force algorithm (computing every possible route and selecting the one with the shortest distance).

Considerable contributions in refining algorithms where made by George Dantzig, Selmer Johnson and the renown Delbert Fulkerson at Santa Monica's Rand Corporation in the 1960s.

Until this point advancements in computers and algorithms led to more and more cities or in our case, stops or individual addresses being considered for solution inclusion.

Dr. Arora broke ground when he found or rather envisioned a way to restate the TSP concept as a calculus equation to which the first branch of calculus (the derivative) would be useful.

Upon solving the equation he found that as friend(x) where x=optimal solution, approaches infinity (considering the many variables and with a permissible solution acquisition time of 1 hour) the result was 85%.

This meant that regardless of available computational power or algorithm elegance, the best result that can ever be achieved is 85%.

You should look deeper into this particularly in the field of cognitive research as scientist there have shown repeatedly that humans with no previous training can outperform the best computer and best algorithms, arriving at solutions 92 to 97 percent of optimal within 5 minutes.

And computers don't provide an 85% result constantly. Remember 85% is the very best you'll ever get. Most times its between 30 to 60% of optimal. Just change 1 thing in a DOL and rerun Orion and see how many different results you get. Then consider the nearly infinite variables a driver takes into account each and every day.

So now, cognitive research is centered on discovering what enables humans to do such a good job with so many variables in such a short amount of time. If an algorithm could be formulated that would be half as good imagine the applications.

By the way, Dr. Arora's work has been authenticated by the mathematical and computer community. Hence the Godel Prize in 2008.

A bit long winded, I know. But check his research and you'll see that Orion is nothing but a blind alley.
But this can't be right! Real research be damned! According to Dragon, we are just a bunch of lazy,overpaid drivers! How did UPS get to be the International billion dollar company it is today? Oh yes, must be the great management they have in place, despite us! I forgot, why are there drivers anyway? I'm sure they could do it all without us! Who remembers the summer of '97?

Dr.Brownz

But this can't be right! Real research be damned! According to Dragon, we are just a bunch of lazy,overpaid drivers! How did UPS get to be the International billion dollar company it is today? Oh yes, must be the great management they have in place, despite us! I forgot, why are there drivers anyway? I'm sure they could do it all without us! Who remembers the summer of '97?

That was the summer my dad and I spent alot of time camping. He was a driver too

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager

ORION doesn't have to be perfect. It just has to be decent. Just knowing that "someone" will second guess your miles will change decision-making across the board. Gone is the old system that encouraged running up miles to increase planned time.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
ORION doesn't have to be perfect. It just has to be decent. Just knowing that "someone" will second guess your miles will change decision-making across the board. Gone is the old system that encouraged running up miles to increase planned time.

And in its place is the new system that encourages running up wasted hours to increase a compliance metric.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Yes, gone is the old system in which employees were treated as "partners" Now everyone is dishonest, everyone is trying to steal, everyone (at least in management) is angry about reduced benefits, added responsibilities and limited opportunities.

Yes. The system doesn't have to be perfect. But it should be humane.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It's the UPS way. You want us to hit a number? OK it could involve some silliness but we'll hit the number.
I'm not here to play silly number games. I'm here to run a delivery route safely and efficiently and to perform my duties in a manner that best represents the interests of the company, per Article 37 of the contract. If I wanted to manipulate irrelevant metrics for a living I would have gone into management.