Atheism ON TOPIC

It will be fine

So you think good and evil exist?
Meh. I think most people are the hero of their own stories. Even Hitler thought he was doing what was best for Germany. Evil as an abstract motivation doesn’t make much sense to me, but I’m not a psychopath. If it does exist I wouldn’t attribute it to a talking snake just to some crossed wires in the head.

bbsam

Staff member
Meh. I think most people are the hero of their own stories. Even Hitler thought he was doing what was best for Germany. Evil as an abstract motivation doesn’t make much sense to me, but I’m not a psychopath. If it does exist I wouldn’t attribute it to a talking snake just to some crossed wires in the head.
I think that illustrates perfectly what I’ve been saying.

Much of what is discussed in religion is in the abstract. So why do people try to define the abstract in scientific terms?

That doesn’t make much sense to me. It would be like having Michael Jordan kick my ass in basketball and then tell me it proves I’m not a basketball player. (Forget that I never claimed to be.)

bbsam

Staff member
If you believe in Imaginary Sky People you aren't very scientific either.
You are Mentally ill
Considering my history of drug addiction I’d have to agree. I’m certifiably, incurably insane.

And when millions of people just like me claim that only through a spiritual or religious experience were we able to help recover, you insist it can’t be so.

When you ask doctors to surgically remove addiction, they look at you like you’re an idiot. When you ask a pharmacist for a cure, they prescribe methadone...WTF?!? When you put your hope in a psychiatrist, they put you in psych wards and treatment centers.

All this science, this wealth of ingenious research is fine if and when it works.

But you refuse to acknowledge that what works best for most, is as cheap as a free cup of coffee, and relies on some kind of higher power...well that’s just not possible.

So even when literally coming face to face with a living being in a state that science can’t explain, still you insist it cannot be.

That’s just weird.

It will be fine

Considering my history of drug addiction I’d have to agree. I’m certifiably, incurably insane.

And when millions of people just like me claim that only through a spiritual or religious experience were we able to help recover, you insist it can’t be so.

When you ask doctors to surgically remove addiction, they look at you like you’re an idiot. When you ask a pharmacist for a cure, they prescribe methadone...WTF?!? When you put your hope in a psychiatrist, they put you in psych wards and treatment centers.

All this science, this wealth of ingenious research is fine if and when it works.

But you refuse to acknowledge that what works best for most, is as cheap as a free cup of coffee, and relies on some kind of higher power...well that’s just not possible.

So even when literally coming face to face with a living being in a state that science can’t explain, still you insist it cannot be.

That’s just weird.
Addiction is best cured with actual therapy. 12 step programs are about as effective as sugar pills. Anytime they work is as good as blind luck.

bbsam

Staff member
Addiction is best cured with actual therapy. 12 step programs are about as effective as sugar pills. Anytime they work is as good as blind luck.
That couldn’t be further from the truth.

And if you lined up 10 addicts clean for a year, I’d tell you in 30 seconds which ones had the sugar pills.

BrownArmy

I don’t know. Maybe as a construct for people to digest and understand abstract concepts a God is necessary.

We understand abstract concepts all the time, and don’t think twice about it.

Are you asserting that some abstract concepts are so (troubling, scary, unfathomable) that it’s necessary for some people to put those concepts into a ‘‘God box’?

How is that intellectually helpful?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Prove god exists.
You can't.
Therefore he doesn't exist
I will assume you are deflecting because you have no valid argument to support your claim. Since it is your claim, I have no need to prove you right, or wrong. You are entitled to your opinion.

However, you will never sway anyone’s belief if that is all you have to offer.

bbsam

Staff member
We understand abstract concepts all the time, and don’t think twice about it.

Are you asserting that some abstract concepts are so (troubling, scary, unfathomable) that it’s necessary for some people to put those concepts into a ‘‘God box’?

How is that intellectually helpful?
I’m asserting that in dealing with abstracts of morality, interpersonal relationships, right and wrong, then yes, a concept of the ultimate power for good may be helpful.

Troubling, scary, unfathomable? No. I don’t think so.

It will be fine

@It will be fine

You call it “creative”. I absolutely insist it is 100% true.
12 step programs have a success rate anywhere between 5 and 46% depending on the study. They aren’t great and it’s impossible to attribute their success to anything beyond an individual’s desire for change that brought them in the first place. Your claim is a cult belief is necessary for sobriety, that’s just not true.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
I will assume you are deflecting because you have no valid argument to support your claim. Since it is your claim, I have no need to prove you right, or wrong. You are entitled to your opinion.

However, you will never sway anyone’s belief if that is all you have to offer.

I will continue to mock people who believe in Imaginary Sky People.
Enjoy your Mental Illness

bbsam

Staff member
12 step programs have a success rate anywhere between 5 and 46% depending on the study. They aren’t great and it’s impossible to attribute their success to anything beyond an individual’s desire for change that brought them in the first place. Your claim is a cult belief is necessary for sobriety, that’s just not true.
You’re reading studies. I would encourage you to research the researchers of those studies.