August 2023 vacation

Are you going to take the first week of August off next year?

• Total voters

542thruNthru

We manned our picket line 24/7. Nobody crossed over. There was a schedule posted for those who would pull the midnight to 6 am shift ( I think we had like 3 people every night) but other than that we never had a problem having plenty of bodies during the day. There was a vacant lot across the street from UPS where we set up a big Surplus Army tent complete with a refrigerator , grills, cots and generators. A local ice distributor friend provided us with all the free ice we needed. The Company provided us with a port-a-pottie. (Don't know why but they did). Basically it was one big 2 and a half week party.
Our local for every strike has paid for a port a pottie service. Shockingly they also pay for breakfast, lunch or dinner depending on what shift you're on.

I doubt they will be able to do that for a UPS strike though. We'd go bankrupt paying for 2700 meals a day.

rod

Retired 22 years
Our local for every strike has paid for a port a pottie service. Shockingly they also pay for breakfast, lunch or dinner depending on what shift you're on.

I doubt they will be able to do that for a UPS strike though. We'd go bankrupt paying for 2700 meals a day.
The company paid for ours. They put it right on the curb on their property across the street from our strike headquarters. It was kind of a no mans land.

R1wonder

This irritates me cuz I know it’s gonna happen and I need the week for a kids baseball travel league . If I don’t get it I’m calling in a Thursday and Friday . I don’t think we will strike . Our old half dead leader of the universe won’t allow it 😆

newfie

during the 97 strike i was management so i was delivering. I noticed the truckers driving by the picket lines would toot their horns and the strikers would cheer and wave. So one day coming in i tucked up close to a tractor trailer going by and when i got close i tooted my horn . everyone on the line turned and cheered me and then realized it was one of those mangement guys . they were laughing at the same time they gave me the one finger salute. The strike was a grind but at the same time it was a lot of fun and something new and exciting different from the daily routine. Most of the nonsense happened in the mornings. evenings were a lot more relaxed. Management would park on property so the few idiots would not try to tear up our vehicles. I would often stop and chit chat with the guys on the line in the evening when i was done and leaving. After the initial excitement of something different we ( both sides) just wanted to get it done and back to normal.

clean hairy

Yes, they are called strike captains.

Usually BAs, E board and Stewards. They will take roll on each shift. The roll will be turned in and the IBT will pay accordingly.

If you were around in 97 I'm sure you remember having a certain shift you were supposed to report to.
Not at our hub.
Everyone just showed up when they wanted.
We had to park in a shopping center, and folks with pickups would take us back and forth.