Automated irreg carts?

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
SMART HUB has them. The current version of those carts are not able to be retrofitted into current centers. They need double the space of what most centers have for beacon ranges and etc. They also cannot sense people walking in between them. The are cool to see move.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
fullsizeoutput_8d9.jpeg
IMG_3468.JPG

I took a tour on Opening Day of the new Atlanta SMART Hub. These aren't photos of the robots themselves, just the current Irregular Trains at that time. I counted at least 80 of the Taylor Cars to pull trailers. One of my first jobs at UPS was working Irregulars on the Midnight Sort at the original Atlanta Hub. We had to push Irregulars around the Hub with handcarts or drive a beatup retired yellow painted P-400. We thought we were in heaven when the Taylor electric trains came in the late 70s.

polyp

We are tentatively going to get them after they finish expanding/automating our hub. Hopefully they work. It'd be nice if one of the automation projects was reliable in the building.

upschuck

We need them where I'm at. One of them took out an electrical panel, and now they put a couple of yellow post to protect it from another strike.

rod

Retired 22 years
Nothing new. When I worked in a machine shop in Rockford , Ill after high School (1967) they had a driverless cart that used some kind of buried in the floor wires as sensors to navigate around inside 2 large buildings. It had about a dozen flashing lights and bells on it and a big front bumper that made it instantly stop if you touched it. It didn't move too fast but it made the rounds moving tools and material to certain stops. In the year I was there I never heard of it hitting anyone or damaging anything.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Nothing new. When I worked in a machine shop in Rockford , Ill after high School (1967) they had a driverless cart that used some kind of buried in the floor wires as sensors to navigate around inside 2 large buildings. It had about a dozen flashing lights and bells on it and a big front bumper that made it instantly stop if you touched it. It didn't move too fast but it made the rounds moving tools and material to certain stops. In the year I was there I never heard of it hitting anyone or damaging anything.
And ups is just getting this technology

rod

Retired 22 years
And ups is just getting this technology
They never have been know to rush into anything technical. Always the last to jump on the band wagon and most the time when they do its outdated already. Look at them big ass DIAD 1's.