Average time before part timers go driving?

Doug French

Im a part time employee working night sort in Portland OR, i work in irregs im wanting to go driving as soon as possible and am wondering how long the average employee waits before going driving? ive with UPS just over 4 years.

Acc0rd

Right now in my HUB its around 1 year or less. New hires from 2012 will be called to be TCD's this summer.

Jeezus 1 freaking year. They fire all your drivers? We havent hired a new full time driver in 6 1/2 years!!!! Ive been in this center alone 9 years and have never been offered FT. Loosing 6 routes to another center and the economy taking a dump just killed this center. Was told expect a few more years if you even want to drive so here id figure 12 years or so. Just awful. When I was in Jax Hub it was like 7 years.

pazizu

Well, this is not for Full time, just temporary cover driver. Most of them do drive 4 days a week plus saturday, they still get 40 hours easy while being a TCD, and with the pay rate for TCD being what it is, they make a nice living!! We did have over 20 full time promotions too.

brett636

It fluctuates building to building and year to year. Depends a lot on your local economy, how strong it is, and how fast its growing if its growing at all. Its also a good idea to take note how many drivers are retirement eligible or soon will be as the more you have the shorter the wait to begin driving will be. In my building I have seen the wait to be as long as 10 years drop to less than one year and then swing back again. Sign every bid sheet that goes up and eventually you will get your chance.

U

uber

Im a part time employee working night sort in Portland OR, i work in irregs im wanting to go driving as soon as possible and am wondering how long the average employee waits before going driving? ive with UPS just over 4 years.

Haha, I work with you. Same building, same shift. I have over 5 years. Wait in line. Stop wearing Romeo's with shorts too, it looks silly ;)

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
To tell u how much and how quick it can change. I worked about 20 months before driving full time. A good friend of mine could of went into driving before me seeing he has a year seniority on me. He chose to finish his last year of school though. He then had to wait 4 more years before he was hired its all luck of the draw and timing it just right.