Avoidable runaway

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Dear God.. you don’t “whip into a driveway” ever ...what could have happened if a child or animal was in the driveway? ... I believe this thread is bull:censored2: it’s obvious you have had no training , find it hard 2 believe u have been a driver for as many years as u stated.
But you quickly exit, when @IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U arrives home unexpectedly.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I was talking about the old micro-brakes that all the package trucks had on them back in the 70's. I was a parking brake system that was tied right into the hydraulic brakes of the truck. When you stopped you pushed on the brake pedal and flipped a switch that locked the pedal down --locking the brakes on.
I remember the truck was still rolling as the driver got out with the package in hand.
Its jobs out here i dont have to make that to be happy bossman...so if my situation happens to you and someone did the same accident kept their job but you lose yours and the union who's cutting in on your hard earned money let it happen
File NLRB charges if you dont come back to work. (I didnt read the whole thread about your disposition, sorry.)

Upon pretrip we are trained to test our e-brake in first gear to see if it holds the truck stationary.

I bet 98% of the drivers in my building wouldn't demand that their truck be red tagged and unloaded to another vehicle that was DOT compliant after pretripping it and finding the e-brake deficient.

"Oh, it'll be ok for the day."

Last edited:

Future

Victory Ride
But you quickly exit, when @IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U arrives home unexpectedly.
921F9D45-BCC7-49CA-B05F-225D54132150.gif

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Dear God.. you don’t “whip into a driveway” ever ...what could have happened if a child or animal was in the driveway? ... I believe this thread is bull:censored2: it’s obvious you have had no training , find it hard 2 believe u have been a driver for as many years as u stated.
You ought to see the drivers who are "trained" recently.
One driver "never knew" that they had to check the DVIR book when he drove the truck. He left in a truck with a safety violation write up unrepaired and not signed off by a mechanic and drove it for over a week. He said that he did know anything about a "book".

Future

Victory Ride
One driver "never knew" that they had to check the DVIR book when he drove the truck. He left in a truck with a safety violation write up unrepaired and not signed off by a mechanic and drove it for over a week. He said that he did know anything about a "book".
they changed the rule slightly in my State about the book a couple years ago ... still in the truck ...

Whither

Scofflaw

In the midst of peak an on-car caught me doing a thorough pre-trip in the yard and fell over himself giving me compliments. I laughed and said, "It's kind of an important part of the job, don't you think?" He then admitted to knowing the majority of the 'junior' drivers don't pre-trip. Mgmt also knows that they're dispatching pkg cars with issues. Seems like a recipe for disaster, but I've heard em talk at PCM re: pre-tripping a whopping one time. Why? Making service on air is higher priority.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
they changed the rule slightly in my State about the book a couple years ago ... still in the truck ...

Yes. But when there is a valid safety violation/issue that is written up, not repaired or signed off by a mechanic that truck is not to move off the lot.

Nonsafety issues are at the discretion of the driver...within reason.

Last edited:

Future

Victory Ride
Yes. But when there is a valid safety violation/issue that is written up, not repaired or signed off by a mechanic that truck is not to move off the lot.

Nonsafety issues are at the discretion of the driver...within reason.
I personally take a vehicle 2 my mechanic or his sup ..explain the issue

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
In the midst of peak an on-car caught me doing a thorough pre-trip in the yard and fell over himself giving me compliments. I laughed and said, "It's kind of an important part of the job, don't you think?" He then admitted to knowing the majority of the 'junior' drivers don't pre-trip. Mgmt also knows that they're dispatching pkg cars with issues. Seems like a recipe for disaster, but I've heard em talk at PCM re: pre-tripping a whopping one time. Why? Making service on air is higher priority.
You know why it's important to a driver?
Because it's his/her responsibility when something bad happens that should've been caught on pretrip.
"The driver has been trained and yearly safety rides reinforce the pretrip procedures".

Termination and/or jail time awaits drivers who fail to properly pretrip a commercial vehicle and because of that are involved in a accident where there is a fatality.

It's always on the driver.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I personally take a vehicle 2 my mechanic or his sup ..explain the issue
Many times the mechanic just forgets to sign it off when they finish the repair(s).

How many times have you seen drivers "pretrip" a vehicle that has obvious illegal tire tread depth?
It's all about running scratch or bonus.

Heck I saw one driver "pretrip", get back in the truck to drive off the lot and another senior driver parked beside him asked the guy if it would be better to pretrip his vehicle with the lights turned on.
SMH

Future

Victory Ride
Many times the mechanic just forgets to sign it off when they finish the repair(s).

How many times have you seen drivers "pretrip" a vehicle that has obvious illegal tire tread depth?
It's all about running scratch or bonus.

Heck I saw one driver "pretrip", get back in the truck to drive off the lot and another senior driver parked beside him asked the guy if it would be better to pretrip his vehicle with the lights turned on.
SMH
No ... a Pretrip ... it’s your safety and the public’s

Fuzzy Brown

Ive been with the company 6 years and driving for 8 months ft 3months was recently discharged for avoidable runaway i was nosed in driveway because i was on a new route and was about to pass the house and turned in the driveway i put truck in 1st pulled e-brake as i was completing the stop the truck was rolling i ran off the porch and jumped in the truck applied the brakes truck still tapped the car notified the center manager he comes out to the scene slapping the ebrake with 2 fingers and talking to me like im a child or something i then retaliated with a few words of my own i went to intergrad school driving automatic trucks i dont know anything about tightening an ebrake and niether does the last 50 or so drivers that came from driving school only ones who know are the drivers that came up driving manual shift before the automatics were implemented the mechainic told them the ebrake was a wet noodle when he arrived to the scene i was honest through the whole process and was still discharged went to local same story discharge upheld and the company threw in a few lies to keep me fired the following week i went to panel in florida where i found out my name was forged on the paperwork the company used to to discharge me and the union couldnt win tgat case we had a lady with an rollaway hit the mothership while employees is on it got 3 weeks suspension a cardinal is a cardinal right we had a guy had 3 accidents and lied until he got caught red handed still got his job they swinging the part time and full time how they want im not a troubled employee so if a pter commit a cardinal how are the getting their job back when you commit a cardinal it dosent seperate the two in the contract book
You can save yourself a lot of frustration by accepting the fact if you are involved in an accident it’s always your fault, even if it wasn’t but it doesn’t matter the company decides that.
If this is your first accident you’ll get a warning letter, protest it move on and learn from it.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I was talking about the old micro-brakes that all the package trucks had on them back in the 70's. I was a parking brake system that was tied right into the hydraulic brakes of the truck. When you stopped you pushed on the brake pedal and flipped a switch that locked the pedal down --locking the brakes on.

That sounds like it would work well and be a lot less stressful on the left shoulder.

No wonder UPS did away with them.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
But when there is a valid safety violation/issue that is written up, not repaired or signed off by a mechanic that truck is not to move off the lot.

Absolutely.

ARTICLE 18. SAFETY AND HEALTH EQUIPMENT, ACCIDENTS AND REPORTS

Preamble

"The Employer and the Union agree that the safety of the employees and the general public is of utmost importance."

Section 1. Employeesʼ Rights—
Equipment, Vehicles and Conditions

"The Employer shall not require employees to take out on the streets or highways any vehicle, or use any type of equipment, that is not in a safe operating condition or equipped with the safety appliances prescribed by law."

-Bug-

Cannedbrownie

You can save yourself a lot of frustration by accepting the fact if you are involved in an accident it’s always your fault, even if it wasn’t but it doesn’t matter the company decides that.
If this is your first accident you’ll get a warning letter, protest it move on and learn from it.
It was my first accident and 1st time in trouble period got completely terminated

Cannedbrownie

No ... a Pretrip ... it’s your safety and the public’s
Yea... did that but like i said i wouldn't know if the hand brake not right because i never learned to tell thats my whole argument ive been driving the new automatics color backup screens you know the cadillacs of the lot peak came low man on the pole got threw in a pos i didn't even know where the lights was in that truck