baby bonding question

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What my co worker chooses to do or not do doesn't effect me as much as how management chooses to deal (staffing) with said decision.

We put 40 or so routes on road during Peak. It is imperative that each and every driver show up each and every day. A driver who selfishly chooses to take FMLA during Peak to "bond" with their "newborn" 10 month old would draw the ire of each and every driver who has to pick up his slack.

MAKAVELI

FMLA is a federal law. State laws will not trump that.
In CA it does.
  1. An employee's entitlement to FMLA leave for birth and bonding expires 12 months after the date of birth. Both mothers and fathers have the same right to take FMLA leave for the birth of a child. Birth and bonding leave must be taken as a continuous block of leave unless the employer agrees to allow intermittent leave (e.g., allowing a parent to return to work on a part-time schedule for 10 weeks).

I'll just bold the part where it says that you DO have to take birth and bonding leave continuously.
https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs28f.pdf
In California you can break up bonding time.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
We put 40 or so routes on road during Peak. It is imperative that each and every driver show up each and every day. A driver who selfishly chooses to take FMLA during Peak to "bond" with their "newborn" 10 month old would draw the ire of each and every driver who has to pick up his slack.
What others choose to do with their entitlements has nothing to do with your job. Proper staffing is imperative when you run a company that relies on singular employees showing up for work. It's no more "selfish" than to take time off for family member that has cancer or some other long term ailment.

Your opinion on what is acceptable to use FMLA has no bearing on the fact that it is allowed.

Much like my opinion on you taking 6 weeks of vacation off is screwing the drivers around you, that you should come in because it's heavy and cash out 3 of them.

Cementups

Box Monkey

My daughter's birthday is 12/19. The company did fine without me for that last week before Christmas and the next few after. Plus they had a heads up it was coming so it's not like I cold cocked them.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
It's all great to take a month off when the baby comes , but FMLA , is NOT , feeding your family, or paying the mortgage!! If the child is born sick or disabled , I can see it , but not a healthy child !!
You need to feed the family , call me old school , but that's the way it was in my day !!!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
IMG_2152.GIF
Maybe you haven't heard of illegal immigration sir.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You can take FMLA after the baby is born, like not immediately after it's born. For instance, if you qualify for FMLA in May, but the baby is born in April, just wait til May to take it. I think you have up to 12 months after the birth for birth and bonding FMLA, you just have to take it consecutively. But it varies by state, and there are probably 12 other threads about this. Call HR, only they can answer you for your states conditions.
No he has to have been here for a year to be eligible for FMLA.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It's all great to take a month off when the baby comes , but FMLA , is NOT , feeding your family, or paying the mortgage!! If the child is born sick or disabled , I can see it , but not a healthy child !!
You need to feed the family , call me old school , but that's the way it was in my day !!!

My wife took off the first 3 months. I took off a couple of days.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My daughter's birthday is 12/19. The company did fine without me for that last week before Christmas and the next few after. Plus they had a heads up it was coming so it's not like I cold cocked them.

That's different.

I'm talking someone playing Daddy during Peak for their 11 month old newborn.