Back first policy.

JL 0513

Hasn't this metric been around for years? This is odd if the OP's center just got this.

This is another example of how upper management implements things without thinking of all scenarios. In fact, they only think of a few scenarios out of the hundreds there are. I have an industrial park on my route and there's a bunch of situations that conflict with having to drive 100' or 500' before backing. A lot of it deals with tight areas and situations where other trucks are getting in your way.

And now with the tight mileage metrics that are strictly controlled with Orion, you're shooting yourself in the foot when you have to drive long distances to back first. Yet another situation where one metric conflicts with another. Another can't win.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Well flavor of the month here is their new back first policy with a 100 feet rule. Meaning, after stop, you must drive forward 100 feet before executing a turnaround procedure that includes a back. No exceptions.
This means turnaround first when necessary and walk across street instead of working to the right.
Translated, this means doubling walk distances, and doing so in every kind of weather. Translated this means walking across snow packed street instead of stepping off onto dry shoveled sidewalks.
3 months ago I was out for a week with a bruised knee from falling on the ice. This week we have another guy out with a serious head injury from falling on ice.
Why is it so difficult for management to allow drivers just a little bit of discretion? This one is gonna bite em in the butt!

Wait till you get ORION and the engineer on car trys to tell you to flip a :censored2: in the middle of a residential street where you have to do a 5 point turn to go the other way.

Your back first ratio will skyrocket!

TOS.

Last edited by a moderator:

BrownTexas

They can't fire you for backs. Unless they are with you in a ride along, who cares. Do what you feel is right. There are far too many scare-tactics they use. I'm a "professional driver" that works for Ups. If I feel I need to back. I'm going to.

Re-Raise

Just don't hit things.

If you are the leading the country with the fewest back first exceptions and you hit something tomorrow you are the worst driver ever.

If you are the "least best" in the country with back first exceptions and you hit something tomorrow you are the worst driver ever.

Try to keep your focus on safety and quit worrying about their metric of the month.

Notretiredyet

EZ fix, if you find yourself in that situation wait to stop complete until you have truck facing forward again and turned off. I only do this when my planned forward exit gets blocked by someone while making my delivery or delivering on dead end streets. Back first is a good rule IMO but we all know it sometimes can't be avoided.

Packmule

EZ fix, if you find yourself in that situation wait to stop complete until you have truck facing forward again and turned off. I only do this when my planned forward exit gets blocked by someone while making my delivery or delivering on dead end streets. Back first is a good rule IMO but we all know it sometimes can't be avoided.
Might have to test this one out. Thanks!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What about the method of completing the stop at the delivery location and using the walk back to the pkg car to check your next 5 stops in the DIAD?

Sent using BrownCafe App

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
So if I go down a 1/4 mile driveway and the gate is locked with no room to turn around, am I supposed to put the truck in neutral and pull it back on to the road with a tow strap? Sorry, I'm not strong enough to do that. I think I will operate under Big Boy rules and just put the truck in reverse and safely back out like the professional they are paying me to be.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So if I go down a 1/4 mile driveway and the gate is locked with no room to turn around, am I supposed to put the truck in neutral and pull it back on to the road with a tow strap? Sorry, I'm not strong enough to do that. I think I will operate under Big Boy rules and just put the truck in reverse and safely back out like the professional they are paying me to be. Sent using BrownCafe App

BFE's are primarily an urban metric.

oldngray

nowhere special
it could happen anywhere. You could back first and set up your forward exit then someone blocks you in so you have to back before going around.