Back first policy.

rod

Retired 22 years
I can't believe that they would actually want you to call to get permission to back up. I'm afraid if that happened to me I would be tempted to arrive back at the building backing all the way

teamsterdan

Well flavor of the month here is their new back first policy with a 100 feet rule. Meaning, after stop, you must drive forward 100 feet before executing a turnaround procedure that includes a back. No exceptions.
This means turnaround first when necessary and walk across street instead of working to the right.
Translated, this means doubling walk distances, and doing so in every kind of weather. Translated this means walking across snow packed street instead of stepping off onto dry shoveled sidewalks.
3 months ago I was out for a week with a bruised knee from falling on the ice. This week we have another guy out with a serious head injury from falling on ice.
Why is it so difficult for management to allow drivers just a little bit of discretion? This one is gonna bite em in the butt!
why is it equally as difficult for drivers to just do what is asked of them....boo hoo

Cementups

Box Monkey
I can't believe that they would actually want you to call to get permission to back up. I'm afraid if that happened to me I would be tempted to arrive back at the building backing all the way

I dared a sup once to dare me to deliver my whole route backwards. He said go for it. I told him to be careful what you're telling me to do and he quickly withdrew since he knows I'm a very literal person. LOL.

Rainman

Its all good.
The telematics can be unplugged at one place. Find the plug, unplug it before you have to to a BFE, then uh it back in.

Back when all the fuss was about idle time, we had drivers that would rev up their engines at stop lights to get the truck above idle and reduce idle time. Kind of ignorant to do that, but it kept them off the report. Their are plenty of ways to get around things if you care to make the effort.

They gave me a new car last August, and telematics never has registered at the center computer, so I don't have to worry about all that crap, thank goodness.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

Marne Vet

The telematics can be unplugged at one place. Find the plug, unplug it before you have to to a BFE, then uh it back in.

Back when all the fuss was about idle time, we had drivers that would rev up their engines at stop lights to get the truck above idle and reduce idle time. Kind of ignorant to do that, but it kept them off the report. Their are plenty of ways to get around things if you care to make the effort.

They gave me a new car last August, and telematics never has registered at the center computer, so I don't have to worry about all that crap, thank goodness.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.
Try unplugging the Telematics, or beating the system in my Center, and you'll be in the office fighting a Warning letter, or termination. We had a guy try something like this and he got caught. Just do the job, and don't try to cheat the report. They can't fire you for doing the job by the methods, but they can and will fire you for dishonesty. Is that BFE worth your job? Oh, and eventually the car you have will register Telematics, and you'll have to worry about what you're already suppose to be doing. How hard is it to think about the stop you're pulling into and position yourself to avoid an unnecessary back? I work in a crappy neighborhood and hardly ever show-up on their reports. I have a lot of BFE daily because every time I park, some jerk-off backs up to my bumper. I try to politely ask them to give me a little room to get out if I catch them still behind the wheel, but if I don't I do what I have to to exit the area and get to my next stop. I have never been questioned about backing first. On a few rare occasions I've called my center manager and had to tell him "I just got boxed in on a street. I can wait here until they come back, or I can back all the way down the street and continue on". His response? "Back down the street and continue on. Always CYOA. If you ever think something you're about to do will pop-up on their radar, just call and ask a sup. It's that easy to cover your own ass.

teamsterdan

Try unplugging the Telematics, or beating the system in my Center, and you'll be in the office fighting a Warning letter, or termination. We had a guy try something like this and he got caught. Just do the job, and don't try to cheat the report. They can't fire you for doing the job by the methods, but they can and will fire you for dishonesty. Is that BFE worth your job? Oh, and eventually the car you have will register Telematics, and you'll have to worry about what you're already suppose to be doing. How hard is it to think about the stop you're pulling into and position yourself to avoid an unnecessary back? I work in a crappy neighborhood and hardly ever show-up on their reports. I have a lot of BFE daily because every time I park, some jerk-off backs up to my bumper. I try to politely ask them to give me a little room to get out if I catch them still behind the wheel, but if I don't I do what I have to to exit the area and get to my next stop. I have never been questioned about backing first. On a few rare occasions I've called my center manager and had to tell him "I just got boxed in on a street. I can wait here until they come back, or I can back all the way down the street and continue on". His response? "Back down the street and continue on. Always CYOA. If you ever think something you're about to do will pop-up on their radar, just call and ask a sup. It's that easy to cover your own ass.
"yeh but then I WON'T have anything to whine about on BC"

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Ideally, UPS would use the technology it already has to create a more accurate and nuanced view of a drivers behavior in regards to backing.

GPS already knows where we are and what delivery unit we are in, so the emphasis should be on eliminating backs in high-risk residential areas where driving around the block or to the nearest cul de sac is the safer choice. One unsafe back in a neighborhood full of children is worse than 10 safe ones in an industrial park full of docks or a rural area in the middle of nowhere. Such rational, logical thinking is a bit beyond the capabilities of our corporate management, however; its a lot easier to just print out reports and chase a number.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
If you need to back up, then do it. Don't try to justify their stupid numbers by making more/harder work for you.

I back when I need to, to get out of a neighborhood or a cul de sac where :censored2: bags have parked their cars not along the curb, but sticking out. You don't like how many times I back, put less stops on me and I'll work on it

Z

ZQXC

I don't even consider any prescribed "distance" one must drive forward after the stop. My job is to deliver packages quickly and safely.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Stop complete and backing immediately or within 500' of driving forward counts as a bfe. Shutting off, starting up, backing up, stop complete (or none) then proceeding forward, has not triggered any bfe's in our center.

sigreq

Stop complete and backing immediately or within 500' of driving forward counts as a bfe. Shutting off, starting up, backing up, stop complete (or none) then proceeding forward, has not triggered any bfe's in our center.

They say it does in our center. The center manager specifically tells us that, so that's where I came up w that at. He must have just pulled it out his ace