Back first policy.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It can happen anywhere.

Yes but it is much less likely to happen on a rural run, especially if you plan ahead.

I ran a country run for 3 years and never once got stuck in a driveway by a vehicle that wasn't there when I first pulled in.

I did get stuck quite often in the snow. : (

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Yes but it is much less likely to happen on a rural run, especially if you plan ahead.

I ran a country run for 3 years and never once got stuck in a driveway by a vehicle that wasn't there when I first pulled in.

I did get stuck quite often in the snow. : (

I ran rural routes for 30+ years and there certainly were times when I got blocked in. Your "country route" was probably horse country with wide, paved, circular driveways (the BOG). Mine were farm country and hunting camps.

Nothing like Levi pulling his team of horses up in front of you to see what you brought.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Back a P700 with barn doors up to a dock. You have to back up close, stop, swing the doors open, and then back the rest of the way up. It shows as a back first exception. The alternative-leaving a 3' gap between the dock and the cargo area- puts you at an end-range motion with every package you load or unload.

Sent using BrownCafe App

soberups

In the boonies?
I run a rural route and I average more BFE's than anyone else on the center. If the gate is locked and I have to back out-BFE. If dogs come running out and start circling the truck and I have to stop first while the owner rounds them up-BFE. If the entire driveway is ankle-deep mud and I have to maneuver the passenger side door up next to the porch or the only dry spot-BFE. If I find out the hard way that the property owner just parked his new boat or RV in the spot I normally back into and I have to knock on the door and ask him to move it-BFE. You see...I deliver in the REAL world not Clarksville, and I have to work under Big Boy Rules that dont always make sense to people who sit in cubicles and read reports.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Packmule

In the boonies?
I think it was explained well enough. A locked gate a quarter mile back. Also happens when they park a pickup truck, horse trailer, etc in the only turnaround. I guess I should just back onto the grass and sink up to my axles I mud or snow. A guaranteed accident, or a bfe. I'll take the the bfe, but I'll have a hard time with holding my temper when they are harping about it.

Packmule

I run a rural route and I average more BFE's than anyone else on the center. If the gate is locked and I have to back out-BFE. If dogs come running out and start circling the truck and I have to stop first while the owner rounds them up-BFE. If the entire driveway is ankle-deep mud and I have to maneuver the passenger side door up next to the porch or the only dry spot-BFE. If I find out the hard way that the property owner just parked his new boat or RV in the spot I normally back into and I have to knock on the door and ask him to move it-BFE. You see...I deliver in the REAL world not Clarksville, and I have to work under Big Boy Rules that dont always make sense to people who sit in cubicles and read reports.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Oh yes the dogs! Forgot that one.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Back a P700 with barn doors up to a dock. You have to back up close, stop, swing the doors open, and then back the rest of the way up. It shows as a back first exception. The alternative-leaving a 3' gap between the dock and the cargo area- puts you at an end-range motion with every package you load or unload.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Back first is only triggered after a stop complete. I do exactly what you mentioned when I run 2 routes with barn door trucks and it shows as 0 on the report unless i'm backing again to a nearby dock after delivering.

MethodsMan

Sent using BrownCafe App

I thought a back only registers at like 6' feet.

soberups

I thought a back only registers at like 6' feet.
Ask 10 different management people and you will get 10 different answers as to how far you have to go for a back to register, or what actually constitutes a BFE. Thats why I choose to focus on doing the job safely rather than worrying about whether or not I show up on a meaningless report.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Foamer Pyle

I am sure the injury was your fault because you did not follow L.A.W.S. If you had, this whole bruised knee thing would never have happened, right? Just like being hit while parked.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Packmule

Ask 10 different management people and you will get 10 different answers as to how far you have to go for a back to register, or what actually constitutes a BFE. Thats why I choose to focus on doing the job safely rather than worrying about whether or not I show up on a meaningless report.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I'm just guessing those meaningless reports will eventually lead to warning letters, etc. even if thy have to come out and spy on you to see the bfe. Glad I'm close to retirement!

RockdaleEddie

Optimized
Who cares anyway. Get the :censored2: delivered. Isn't it funny these days as package car drivers that seems to be the least of our worries? Sad really, we used to be valuable because we could take care of business like no other and now we are forced to comply and not do it as well. Driver 22 years...go brown

Packmule

Who cares anyway. Get the :censored2: delivered. Isn't it funny these days as package car drivers that seems to be the least of our worries? Sad really, we used to be valuable because we could take care of business like no other and now we are forced to comply and not do it as well. Driver 22 years...go brown
That I would agree with heartily. Used to be we weren't afraid to take a few risks. Something happened it was a brief rain dance and back at it the next day. Nowadays you leave a mud track and the sun won't rise.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I just do what I have to. If they load 40 40 lb pkgs in the front I am nosing in. I dont look at the reports, no one has said word and I am allowed 10, I might do 15 on a bad day.

Packmule

I've never been given an allowance. Just told center wide we are worst in the district. Lol. How can we be worst when everyone else got the same status report?