Back to Hourly?

JackOfClubs

PT Bureaucrat
I have discovered the hard way that PT supervision is a colossal gyp. Lousy pay, lousy hours, lousy health care. I've realized that driving is where the money is at UPS.

If my understanding is correct, I cannot simply go back down to an hourly position. I would have to quit and be re-hired, and my seniority would reset. Is this true?

ManInBrown

I know several people that became drivers and didn't go back into management.
Really? Recently? We had a few PT sups who have driven at peak the past few years. I guess that's what they do when they're grooming them for On Cars. A few of them were happier than a pig in :censored2: thinking they would be allowed to stay a driver. That didn't happen. I've never seen someone cross back over from the dark side, in my entire career.

But I did see this happen. PT sup drove at peak. Wrapped the truck around a telephone pole, and had to go back to being an hourly PT loader for a short time. That might be the OP's only option. Try to drive at peak, and get into an accident. He wasn't allowed to remain an hourly. He's now a FT sup.

I have discovered the hard way that PT supervision is a colossal gyp. Lousy pay, lousy hours, lousy health care. I've realized that driving is where the money is at UPS.

If my understanding is correct, I cannot simply go back down to an hourly position. I would have to quit and be re-hired, and my seniority would reset. Is this true?
Don't cherry coat it for us. You make it sound much more appealing than it was is 1992.

Ms.PacMan

They used to allow part time sups to go driving as off the street hires. Haven't seen this happen in quite awhile but this is the way to go from part time supe to driving without quitting. Ask your center manager.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
screw.gif

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
You can still be a driver but the next 2 levels of management above you better like you a lot.
You'd fall under the 6:1 ratio of inside hires/outside hires, you'd be from outside.
They would also have to need drivers really bad, WHICH with Saturday deliveries may be a possibility.
Also, they will make YOU find a replacement for yourself in the building that they would accept.

You can still be a driver but the next 2 levels of management above you better like you a lot.
You'd fall under the 6:1 ratio of inside hires/outside hires, you'd be from outside.
They would also have to need drivers really bad, WHICH with Saturday deliveries may be a possibility.
Also, they will make YOU find a replacement for yourself in the building that they would accept.
We just recently had a PT sup go FT driving. Used to happen a lot but very rare now. I think you are being sarcastic about finding your own replacement.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
We just recently had a PT sup go FT driving. Used to happen a lot but very rare now. I think you are being sarcastic about finding your own replacement.
No I'm not.
Pt sup was told he had to find a replacement, he found 2.
They both lasted a year and quit but driver was already a year into FT driving.
If they don't like you, you don't have a chance.