Backing over 6 year old on bike - Driver Discussion

PT Car Washer

No doubt this may have prevented the tragedy. I know they talk about it at driving school, but I'd love to see a show of hands from all the drivers who have ever gotten out and looked behind their vehicles. I'll bet it's a pretty small number.
Do you stop doing your job because a kid is riding a bike somewhere in your delivery area. Sometimes you can do everything right and bad things still happen.

FilingBluesFL

Sad thing is, it's not just kids that do this.

I've had a motorcycle fly behind me to get to a parking spot while I was backing up to an unloading dock at a large factory once.

If there's kids around, I do everything in my power not to put myself in any kind of situation like this, even if it means parking a block away.

Paid by the hour, eh

BrownArmy

No doubt this may have prevented the tragedy. I know they talk about it at driving school, but I'd love to see a show of hands from all the drivers who have ever gotten out and looked behind their vehicles. I'll bet it's a pretty small number.

Hence, back first, while everything is fresh in your sights?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I do a complete walk around when I approach my pkg car after my meal break and whenever I am in a dense residential area, especially when the kids are on break from school.

oldngray

nowhere special
I do a complete walk around when I approach my pkg car after my meal break and whenever I am in a dense residential area, especially when the kids are on break from school.

What good would that do if a kid rides his bicycle behind your truck after you get back in and start to back? You can be watching but little kids don't pay attention to traffic. You could do everything in your power but sometimes bad things still happen.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I was thinking the exact same thing as OG. We can get out and check, but a young kid on a bike, with no supervision, can sneak up real fast . That's all it takes.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Who lets a 6 year old ride unsupervised in a parking lot?
Seriously? Anyone that's done a decent job parenting. The kids knows better than to ride behind a car at that age.

Recently read about a series of books from the 70's. Basically what your kid should be able to do at every age. Said a 6 year old should be able to walk to the store 5 blocks away get a few items and walk back.

Brownslave688

Gotten out before backing no. Checked behind the vehicle on my way back to a stop yes.

oldngray

nowhere special
Seriously? Anyone that's done a decent job parenting. The kids knows better than to ride behind a car at that age.

Recently read about a series of books from the 70's. Basically what your kid should be able to do at every age. Said a 6 year old should be able to walk to the store 5 blocks away get a few items and walk back.

A 6 year old should understand but the problem is if he is playing and not paying attention to traffic.

Brownslave688

A 6 year old should understand but the problem is if he is playing and not paying attention to traffic.
I understand and an apt complex is a tough situation. The parking lot is their largest open area to play.

However accidents happen. Some over bearing mom will see this as a reason to call the cops the next time she sees a child playing unsupervised.

nystripe96

Unfortunately while some back-up cameras are great, others are poor at best. Luckily my truck shows the full length of my bumper

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Not to mention....shouldn't a child on a bike be wearing a helmet? Who knows if it would've saved his life but it is the law, at least in my state.

STFXG

There's a whole lot of blaming the parents or the kid on here.

I don't see any scenario where the kid or parents have any blame here. It was the drivers fault. Driving over a kid is always preventable in a pc. Sad for the family and the driver. I couldn't get back in a truck if I caused something like that.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I see it all the time in apartment complexes and cul de sacs. Many residents view those areas as their private playgrounds.

A situation like this is a nightmare for the driver, the supes and the family of the child. I feel for all of them.
Yup. I work in the ghetto and ALL children outdoors are unsupervised.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Do your trucks have a big blind spot from the backing camera? Or can you see the length of the bumper?
Depends on the monitor. The old CRT style monitors...I could never see jack. The new lcd monitors are awesome. Depending on the angle of the cam you can sometimes see 15 feet behind your truck or barely the bumper.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brownslave688

Not to mention....shouldn't a child on a bike be wearing a helmet? Who knows if it would've saved his life but it is the law, at least in my state.
Seriously it's a LAW? Wow unless the helmets have gotten a lot better I don't see how they would help much.

I remember getting a helmet 1 summer. It made it around the block then mysteriously got lost.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Seriously it's a LAW? Wow unless the helmets have gotten a lot better I don't see how they would help much.

I remember getting a helmet 1 summer. It made it around the block then mysteriously got lost.

In NY if you are 14 or under you are required to wear a helmet while riding your bicycle, skateboard, roller blades, scooter, etc.