Backing over 6 year old on bike - Driver Discussion

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
A 6 year old should understand but the problem is if he is playing and not paying attention to traffic.
a 6 yr old if taught properly knows to respect big trucks, and large vehicles and autos. Still sad for the family.
Helmets ,. ya that will fix it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
a 6 yr old if taught properly knows to respect big trucks, and large vehicles and autos. Still sad for the family.
Exactly. Accident happen. They are sad and tragic and I feel sorry for everyone invloved. They also happened 20,30,40 years. Believe it or not they happened more back then than they do now. The only difference is everyone makes the news now. So instead of 1 town in Arizona knowing what happened everyone knows.

This does not mean we have to wrap our kids in bubble wrap and make sure there is a pair of eyes on them at all times. Kids that are allowed to be independent turn into strong free willed independent adults. Those that aren't given those freedoms often live in the basement into their 30's.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Exactly. Accident happen. They are sad and tragic and I feel sorry for everyone invloved. They also happened 20,30,40 years. Believe it or not they happened more back then than they do now. The only difference is everyone makes the news now. So instead of 1 town in Arizona knowing what happened everyone knows.

This does not mean we have to wrap our kids in bubble wrap and make sure there is a pair of eyes on them at all times. Kids that are allowed to be independent turn into strong free willed independent adults. Those that aren't given those freedoms often live in the basement into their 30's.
Just like pedestrians, adults. No one looks....I look, I dont want to get hit by a bus. (not making fun of anyone who does) I pulled over tonight when kids were trying to jump on my bumper. I was like Yeah you are all cool, wth were you going to do if you caught it? Im not saying that is the case.....it is about respect, and no one knows what that is, missed the class I guess.

Brownslave688

Just like pedestrians, adults. No one looks....I look, I dont want to get hit by a bus. (not making fun of anyone who does) I pulled over tonight when kids were trying to jump on my bumper. I was like Yeah you are all cool, wth were you going to do if you caught it? Im not saying that is the case.....it is about respect, and no one knows what that is, missed the class I guess.
Wouldn't want to hurt their feelings teaching them respect.

Re-Raise

I feel uneasy every time I back up. Even using the rear view camera I feel that there might be something back there I can't see. Hearing about this will make me avoid backing even more.

Prayers for everyone involved in this tragedy.

clarnzz

Is it in the realm of possibility for me to behind the wheel of a truck and something like this happen? Yes.

Could it of happened to me under the same circumstances as this driver? I'd hope not, but wasn't there and don't know the complete details of how this tragedy unfolded.

Does it scare the :censored2: out of me that every time you come over the crest of a hill and there could be a kid standing in the middle of the road for whatever reason? Absolutely

Camping Nana

Seriously? Anyone that's done a decent job parenting. The kids knows better than to ride behind a car at that age.

Recently read about a series of books from the 70's. Basically what your kid should be able to do at every age. Said a 6 year old should be able to walk to the store 5 blocks away get a few items and walk back.

Things were way different in the 70's. Yes, "should be able to walk to the store 5 blocks away..." but it still isn't safe.

Times change. Parenting is different now - - not saying it is all good -- but in this day and age a six year old child should not be left anywhere unsupervised! Yes, they should know better than to ride behind a vehicle -- and adults should know better than to drive like maniacs or drive drunk - but they still do it... so you expect more sense out of a child???? I don't think so JMHO

CHALLY9TX

Just an FYI.....you're supposed to see your entire bumper in the RVM. If you can't, you need to write it up in the DVIR so that the mechanics can adjust the camera.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Good luck with that since the parents are morons too about trucks. At least twice a week while backing into the garage of a high rise I have dummies cross right behind my bumper while backing and blaring my horn. Oblivious and clueless people.

Apartment complexes are the worst. In the summertime little kids will hide in between cars. Then after I drive by they run and jump on the rear bumper. Then they ask me "why do you stop as soon as we jump on your truck? We're just having fun! How do you see us?" I ask them what apartment they live in and if there parents are home. Some parents say there just kids. You were a kid once too. There just playing and having fun. And I say it won't be funny when one of them gets hurt or killed because YOU aren't watching your kid. Then they have the balls to call and complain that I'm being rude to them. So when I get that split its NI for all and all a goodnight.

Brownslave688

but in this day and age a six year old child should not be left anywhere unsupervised! Yes, they should know better than to ride behind a vehicle

Like I said accidents happen. Doesn't make it any easier but that doesn't mean we have to jump to extremes.

Young kids are given less freedom and responsibility than at any point in human history. The main reason being over protective parenting.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Good luck with that since the parents are morons too about trucks. At least twice a week while backing into the garage of a high rise I have dummies cross right behind my bumper while backing and blaring my horn. Oblivious and clueless people.
I have seen it at a business I deliver to, that has delivery trucks. I will be backing in and they will walk behind me. I just stop, and ask them if you kids are all done now.

PT Car Washer

I have seen it at a business I deliver to, that has delivery trucks. I will be backing in and they will walk behind me. I just stop, and ask them if you kids are all done now.
Same thing happens in my building when the car wash is trying to park the package cars for the preload and twilight people are walking out and later when the midnight sort start showing up.