Backing over 6 year old on bike - Driver Discussion

10 point

This tragedy brings up the question of whether automatic backup alarms would be better or worse than the driver beeping the horn every 2-3 seconds during that back. Our world is so noisy today that backup alarms are either drowned out or simply become background noise. Drivers also tend to rely more on the backup alarms and may be less vigilant during the back.
There's nothing wrong with sounding a horn while your backup signal is sounding and some of the new reverse audibles are great attention getters.

I believe we should use every tool available when it comes to safety.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There's nothing wrong with sounding a horn while your backup signal is sounding and some of the new reverse audibles are great attention getters.

I believe we should use every tool available when it comes to safety.

Have you ever heard a driver use his horn if his vehicle has a back up alarm?

The Driver

I drive.
This tragedy brings up the question of whether automatic backup alarms would be better or worse than the driver beeping the horn every 2-3 seconds during that back. Our world is so noisy today that backup alarms are either drowned out or simply become background noise. Drivers also tend to rely more on the backup alarms and may be less vigilant during the back.

I do think part of being trained to use the horn while backing keeps you a little more engaged in the action. Maybe that's part of the reason we are supposed to honk.

10 point

Have you ever heard a driver use his horn if his vehicle has a back up alarm?
The point was supposed to be...
IF UPS used audible alerts we could sound the horn in addition to the automatic alert. Any kind of extra awareness is better especially when the truck's in reverse.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The point was supposed to be...
IF UPS used audible alerts we could sound the horn in addition to the automatic alert. Any kind of extra awareness is better especially when the truck's in reverse.

I watched 4 non-UPS delivery trucks back in to their delivery locations today. All of them had back up alarms and none of the drivers used their horn.

10 point

I watched 4 non-UPS delivery trucks back in to their delivery locations today. All of them had back up alarms and none of the drivers used their horn.
Non-UPS. I'm not talking about non-UPS.
I AM talking about sounding our horn even if we were set up with back up audibles.
Your serve.

10 point

I remember those bias tires that developed flat spots overnight in the summertime.

It felt like Fred Flintstone's car for the first half hour of driving.

Bottom rung

Of course they didn't. They don't work for the most overbearing, micromanaged company on earth.
We don't have back up alarms because...
1. Cost, ups isn't buying unless they're forced.
2. Nobody listens or pays attention anyways.
3. Discipline, if we aren't using our horn while backing they can start progressive discipline. We all know how much these management types like to rattle cages. Those guys get hard anytime they think they can fire someone. Well, except for you Dave in the BOG.
Were you out spying on drivers? I mean how else would you have the time to sit and watch these vehicles maneuver? ...

TheScratchKid

Much like when car alarms go off nowadays, most people ignore the sound of a truck's back up alarm. Most people do turn their head to see who is obnoxiously beeping their horn though which is why I believe it is much safer to beep manually.