Backup Camera

rod

Retired 22 years
I remember not long ago having a low step power steering car was like having a Cadillac, now you give 1 of these new siss...I mean drivers a manual transmission package car and you'd think someone just took their birthday away.

I thought I had died and went to heaven when I got a new truck with power steering and a semi-low step. I didn't care if it was still a straight stick. In fact I don't believe at that time we had any automatics.

rod

Retired 22 years
there was an old style monitor on a truck when I was a cover guy where you had to smack the side of the monitor to get it to work every few hours.

I never drove a truck that had a back-up camera in it. I retired about the time they were just starting to put them in.

rod

Retired 22 years
I remember not long ago having a low step power steering car was like having a Cadillac, now you give 1 of these new siss...I mean drivers a manual transmission package car and you'd think someone just took their birthday away.

Come to think of it I remember thinking just how "modern" UPS was getting when they first started installing seat belts.

bbsam

Staff member
I never drove a truck that had a back-up camera in it. I retired about the time they were just starting to put them in.
The odd thing is is that after installing thousands of backing cameras the industry has found very little reduction in backing accidents.

rod

Retired 22 years
The odd thing is is that after installing thousands of backing cameras the industry has found very little reduction in backing accidents.

For some reason that don't surprise me one bit. Last year we bought our first new car that has a back-up camera in it. I know I tend to try to get "just a little too close" when using it. Using the old brain instead of a camera to me is a better option. I can also see why UPS hasn't seen a reduction in accidents. I mean if the camera lens is as dirty as most of the trucks it would be worthless.

bbsam

Staff member
Not sure why this came to mind, but why do companies that despise regulation and the "nanny state" mirror their operations to reflect those realities?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You don't believe in making jokes about disabled people, yet you have no problem harassing short people.

Typical D* move.

His father is a 22.3 whom I have known for years.

I thought it was kind of funny to ask Brandon to clean off the camera lens. He would jump a couple of times before giving up. I would then walk over and take care of it myself.

I got the kid hired after Peak. He works off the lower belts.