Votes: 24 32.9%
  • Allow 'unregistered' posters, but show their IP address

Votes: 12 16.4%

• Total voters

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
susiedriver said:
How do you feel about 'unregistered' posters?
You guys hash this one out and we'll go with whatever the majority decides. Thanks for coming up with the idea for this poll susie. The only thing that I may not be able to do is to show the ip's of unregistered posters. I checked the administrative settings for this board program and cannot find the option for only showing the ip of unregistered users, it may be that we can only show everyone's ip or no one's. I'll keep looking through the documentation and hacks info for another option...

over9five

Staff member
I don't see any reason to ban anyone. And I don't understand why anyone would care if you're registered or not.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I always picture the unregistered as a sniper of sorts. The registered folks are the "out in the open" folks. No techno-babble here because I don't understand most of it. Ha Ha !

DS

Fenderbender
how about this option Cheryl,simply make it impossible to post unless you register...problem solved, like the chat room is now.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
double_standard said:
how about this option Cheryl,simply make it impossible to post unless you register...problem solved, like the chat room is now.
That will be the result if the unregistered posters are voted out.
iloadthetruck said:
Can unregistered users vote in this poll? Won't that eventually skew the results?
Unregistered users can no longer vote in polls. Thanks to you guys for pointing out that they were previously allowed to vote.

traveler

Where next? Venice
Just a comment, I hate to see unregistered posters go. At times they add some interesting and useful information and comments. Sure, there are some idiots that hide behind unregistered but there are also some that register. Remember the helper who was never a helper? There are many sites that I do not participate in since you must register. There are enough people who know my information and I limit myself on adding more.

Contemplate... do we throw out unregistered voters in the USA? :huh:

wkmac

I think tomorrow's poll should be whether or not we should be required to wear brown underwear to be allowed to post!
:biggrin:

Cheryl,
Do whatever makes your life the simpliest. Gee, that would mean shutting down the Browncafe.:scared:

:lol:

Best Holiday wishes Cheryl and you get my vote for Time's Person of the Year for putting up with all of us and the stupidity and chaos we create out of absolutely nothing.

mr_roboto

I feel GOOD!
this poll uses divide and conquer tactics so popular with today's politicians.

The original poster desires to ban unregistered posters and gives that as one option. but those who believe the unregistered should be allowed are given 2 choices to split them up and thin them out.

to be fair there should only be two choices to this yes or no question.

Should the unregistered poster be banned or allowed?

(1) banned
(2) allowed

I vote for (2) allowed

roboto

susiedriver

traveler said:
Just a comment, I hate to see unregistered posters go. At times they add some interesting and useful information and comments. Sure, there are some idiots that hide behind unregistered but there are also some that register. Remember the helper who was never a helper? There are many sites that I do not participate in since you must register. There are enough people who know my information and I limit myself on adding more.

Contemplate... do we throw out unregistered voters in the USA? :huh:

You are fairly anonymous even if you register, and actually, in the USA, you must register to make your voice heard at the ballot box.

susiedriver

mr_roboto said:

The original poster desires to ban unregistered posters and gives that as one option. but those who believe the unregistered should be allowed are given 2 choices to split them up and thin them out.

(1) banned
(2) allowed

I vote for (2) allowed

roboto
roboto, the reason for the third choice, is by having IP addresses shown, you can differentiate between posters. Right now you can have a slew of 'unregistered' and it can become difficult to tell them apart. Also, there is the fact that management has posted from UPS IPs posing as hourly. It's not that hard to get a Yahoo e-mail and register.

ok2bclever

I Re Member
Personally, the "ban" word seems to have suddenly become in vogue here.

I think the poll was set up unfortunately negatively sounding.

I agree with more and others that unregistereds tend to snipe.

I would make it a requirement to register to post.

Pure and simple.

This doesn't require a hardship for anyone that wants to add something here.

brett636

I'm a member of a lot of different message boards online, and all but this one require someone to be a registered member in order to post. I think if someone is able to post they should be able to identify themselves somehow to the members they are posting to. I voted to ban unregistered users.

U

Unregistered

I think it so interesting that OK, a self proclaimed multi poster under unregistered stating they ought to be banned. Now is that not the way it is, those guilty of something proclaiming those caught guilty be banned.

So which is it there shop steward? Ban yourself for being on the board as several unregistered, or is that for the others you dont like, or dont like the posts they make.

Funny, the poll says they ought to stay. Interesting also that the queen of deviant behavior, guilty of posting the IP information on someone she tries to destroy, wants all that information available to her to use for her agenda.

I think the ayes have it. Unless the owner of this site backtracks, they will stay. It should be up to her.

traveler

Where next? Venice
mr_roboto said:

(1) banned
(2) allowed

I vote for (2) allowed

roboto

I assume that there are only two choices that count, ban (choice 1) or allow (choice 2 + 3).

Cheryl? :o

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
traveler said:
I assume that there are only two choices that count, ban (choice 1) or allow (choice 2 + 3).

Cheryl? :o
[mouse]You are correct traveler[/mouse]
As of right now I can't find a setting or hack that will only show the ip for unregistered posters. Our community is a pretty resourceful group so perhaps someone else knows how and will help us out.

susiedriver

cheryl said:
[mouse]You are correct traveler[/mouse]
As of right now I can't find a setting or hack that will only show the ip for unregistered posters. Our community is a pretty resourceful group so perhaps someone else knows how and will help us out.
Cheryl,

Does this help? I found it on another board.

Not tested, but should work:

edit newthread.php and newreply.php, find:

// check max images

before that add:

if ($ipaddress AND $postusername=='Unregistered')
{$postusername=$ipaddress;}

(be careful about the caps of 'Unregistered'. Its caps should be exactly as your board uses the word)

That's it..