Barry

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Beautiful dog, never noticed him or her before. Will she bring a duck back to ya?
This is my wife's dog, its trained for entirely something else. Wife is losing her sight and the black lab is a trained guide dog. She got her in January but had to retire the dog last month because it has medical issues. My wife is currently on the waiting list for a new guide dog.

oldngray

nowhere special
This is my wife's dog, its trained for entirely something else. Wife is losing her sight and the black lab is a trained guide dog. She got her in January but had to retire the dog last month because it has medical issues. My wife is currently on the waiting list for a new guide dog.
Did you keep her as a pet?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Did you keep her as a pet?
We were given that option but turned it down. The dog was brilliant as far as a working animal and is only two years old. For some reason the dog wouldn't pee while on leash like it was supposed to and would hold urine for up to 22 hours. The guide dog school flew a trainer up here to retrieve it for evaluation and they couldn't figure out the problem, its probably a behavior they didn't catch in training. The dog will go to a young child that is starting to go blind so that the child will learn how to take care of it and it will serve only as a companion animal. Its working days are over and it can't serve as a guide dog anymore. My wife didn't think it was fair to keep her and leave her at home all the time when the dog was used to going everywhere. It was heartbreaking to give the dog up, it was very loving and simply brilliant in what it could do.