Becoming a PT Supervisor Questions

AlreadyDisgruntled

1) How much does it pay?

2) What are the hours like?

3) Do they get OT for anything over 5 hours?

4) Why does everyone hate them so much? I know some of them are kinda :censored2:y, and there have been a lot of petty tyrants, but why the automatic hatred?

5) How long does it usually take?

6) Why does nobody want to do that job?

Anything else I should know would be much appreciated! And as usual, smartass comments are not only welcome, but encouraged! - Though, I am obviously seeking actualy answers too lol.

km3

1) How much does it pay?

4) Why does everyone hate them so much? I know some of them are kinda :censored2:y, and there have been a lot of petty tyrants, but why the automatic hatred?

Anything else I should know would be much appreciated! And as usual, smartass comments are not only welcome, but encouraged! - Though, I am obviously seeking actualy answers too lol.

My understanding is they don't get OT until after 8. And only with explicit approval.

Nobody wants that job because you're leaving the union to get treated even worse. And there's no going back from that decision. If you decide you don't like it, you might as well quit because you can never be hourly again. Allegedly there are places where you can quit and get rehired as a driver by the 6:1 ratio in the contract, but I've never seen it here.

Oh, and raises are at management's discretion. I had a PT sup of 17 years quit last Fall because in all his time at UPS, his largest yearly raise was less than or equal to what PT union employees were getting. He finally had enough when people walking in off the street into PT sup positions were being paid more than he was after 17 years.

Like I said, leaving the union to get treated even worse. Don't do it unless you plan to quit soon anyway.

JustDeliverIt

PT supes are at the bottom of the management ladder so everything rolls down on them and they take all the grief from the hourlies. Don't do it.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
1) How much does it pay? Not nearly enough for all the BS involved. When on-roads, center managers, and everyone else above you is looking for a scapegoat, you're it!

2) What are the hours like? I've seen them stuck there 8 hours or even more at peak.

3) Do they get OT for anything over 5 hours? I believe you're supposed to get it, but I've heard grumblings that they get harrassed when asking for it.

4) Why does everyone hate them so much? I know some of them are kinda :censored2:y, and there have been a lot of petty tyrants, but why the automatic hatred? I never automatically hated them, or any management. I always gave each individual manager a chance until they crossed me or I witnessed them playing dirty. One chance only! Unfortunately, some of them think they must be awesome to have been promoted so quickly, not realizing that nobody wants that job, and they only got it because they were naive enough to take it.

5) How long does it usually take? Not sure what "it" is in this question. How long until you realize you've made a mistake? lol...not long!

6) Why does nobody want to do that job? 100's of reasons. #1 should be, in 31yrs at my building, I only saw 1 promoted to full time. Not a good chance of advancing. You're better off going driving or some other fulltime position, then putting in your letter of intent.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
1. Waste of time
2. Wasted opportunity doing something better then PT management
3. Have to take crap from both sides
4. Feel like a piece of crap and get treated like one
5. Do I need say more, just dont do it it's like when you were in dare at school.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
PT sups are basically useless.

PT sup ranks are filled with college kids who think they will get a FT gig when they graduate.

They get abused more than the unskilled FT and PT union labor

H.E. Pennypacker

Mmm, Mombasa!
64037221.jpg

Dulce Bombón

I'm Legal Gringo! UPS Latina Heat! Haters ❤ me!
PT sups are basically useless.

PT sup ranks are filled with college kids who think they will get a FT gig when they graduate.

They get abused more than the unskilled FT and PT union labor

Oh common they are not useless. They unload the trucks now, to reduce time and sent unloaders home. They are becoming more productive.:yesssmileyf::tantrumsmiley:

VelcroVestsAreTearable

Worlds Okayest Sup
1) How much does it pay?

DON'T DO IT. SAVE YOURSELF. LITERALLY ANYWHERE ELSE BUT UPS.

I mean, management is great! They totally feed us! JOIN US! HELP ME!

VelcroVestsAreTearable

Worlds Okayest Sup
1) How much does it pay? Not nearly enough for all the BS involved. When on-roads, center managers, and everyone else above you is looking for a scapegoat, you're it!

2) What are the hours like? I've seen them stuck there 8 hours or even more at peak.

3) Do they get OT for anything over 5 hours? I believe you're supposed to get it, but I've heard grumblings that they get harrassed when asking for it.

4) Why does everyone hate them so much? I know some of them are kinda :censored2:y, and there have been a lot of petty tyrants, but why the automatic hatred? I never automatically hated them, or any management. I always gave each individual manager a chance until they crossed me or I witnessed them playing dirty. One chance only! Unfortunately, some of them think they must be awesome to have been promoted so quickly, not realizing that nobody wants that job, and they only got it because they were naive enough to take it.

5) How long does it usually take? Not sure what "it" is in this question. How long until you realize you've made a mistake? lol...not long!

6) Why does nobody want to do that job? 100's of reasons. #1 should be, in 31yrs at my building, I only saw 1 promoted to full time. Not a good chance of advancing. You're better off going driving or some other fulltime position, then putting in your letter of intent.

This is your future if you join management. LIME GREEN?! SHAME!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
1) How much does it pay?

Yo, Future Division Manager,

Did you test yet for the job?

View attachment 186060

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Dont waste your productive years. They will dangle the carrot for years while prime years get used up. Its not worth it. Unless you are just doing it til you finish college etc. It is not an upward movement. Pretty much dead end.

Yolo

What are the benefits of being a pt sup over a pt package handler?

I can't think of any. You will essentially be a mall cop. No authority. No respect. Low pay. But you get to wear a collared shirt.