Being called back to the building?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
So, yesterday there was an issue where I had an 8 hour day, and the company couldn't guarantee it, so I went home(willingly) .Ten minutes after leaving, I made the mistake of answering my phone (and I know better). So one of my Sup's said he needed me to come back and cover a route cause they forgot one driver was off. So, my simple question is this, after I am told that I'm allowed to leave for the day, when they call me to come back, can I tell them no and continue on my way home? Now, I'm normally not a huge dick, so under normal circumstances I would go back but I'm just trying to figure out if they can FORCE me to return to the building.

Thanks,
Mr. Balls

Johney

Re: Being called back tot he building?

You said you know not to answer your phone, then why did you? If you leave and they call within the first 20 minutes you know what they want.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Being called back tot he building?

I answer sometimes but my answer is oh just sitting here having a beer. So what was the deal with your 8.0 did u have enough seniority to get one that day.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

I knew not to answer, but I was driving and when the phone rings, I hit answer and it's answered via bluetooth, so I didn't look at the number. I have enough seniority for an 8....I'm a cover driver, so they'll move cover guys around to give me my 8 hr.

I TOTALLY forgot about the beer thing. Damn, there's always next time

UPSGUY72

Next time don't answer the phone.... Problem solved. They tell me I can go home and I agree I not answering the phone if they are calling. They have the problem and I'm not the solution.... Piss poor planning gets you piss poor results.....

oldtymer

You had an 8 hour day they couldn't guarantee? Once they approve a request load it's a done deal, if they don't adjust the load you come in after 8 case closed. Being a cover driver or a bid route driver makes no difference. Besides that fact that you shouldn't have answered your phone, why do they have your number? One more point, you violated the contract by going home "over" so why should they honor the contract if we don't? Just my thoughts. (don't let the "1" post on my profile fool you, I got hacked and had to create new a account)

Brownslave688

You had an 8 hour day they couldn't guarantee? Once they approve a request load it's a done deal, if they don't adjust the load you come in after 8 case closed. Being a cover driver or a bid route driver makes no difference. Besides that fact that you shouldn't have answered your phone, why do they have your number? One more point, you violated the contract by going home "over" so why should they honor the contract if we don't? Just my thoughts. (don't let the "1" post on my profile fool you, I got hacked and had to create new a account)

Yeah I had an 8.0 a few weeks back that I had to bring back 80 stops for. They knew it was coming back but failed to come up with a plan or pass the message on to the nights folks. Guess what not my problem.

So, yesterday there was an issue where I had an 8 hour day, and the company couldn't guarantee it, so I went home(willingly) .Ten minutes after leaving, I made the mistake of answering my phone (and I know better). So one of my Sup's said he needed me to come back and cover a route cause they forgot one driver was off. So, my simple question is this, after I am told that I'm allowed to leave for the day, when they call me to come back, can I tell them no and continue on my way home? Now, I'm normally not a huge dick, so under normal circumstances I would go back but I'm just trying to figure out if they can FORCE me to return to the building.

Thanks,
Mr. Balls
ok here is some good advice. Put the centers number in as a DO NOT ANSWER in you phone. If you are a big enough tool and you answer it anyway tell them you are at the bar having a shot and a beer. You are also waiti g for some good ass bar food.

UPSGUY72

ok here is some good advice. Put the centers number in as a DO NOT ANSWER in you phone. If you are a big enough tool and you answer it anyway tell them you are at the bar having a shot and a beer. You are also waiting for some good ass .

I fixed it for you.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

One more point, you violated the contract by going home "over" so why should they honor the contract if we don't? Just my thoughts. (don't let the "1" post on my profile fool you, I got hacked and had to create new a account)

How the hell did I violate the contract?? I had an 8 hour, could not be guaranteed and was, as such kept extra. Had I been on a route, the dispatch would have been adjusted accordingly.

And how the hell does me being a cover driver make any bit of difference?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And how the hell does me being a cover driver make any bit of difference?

I guess times have changed but I know when I was a casual I did everything that I could to work, not to get out of work. Rather than call each morning, I would show up each day dressed and ready to work, knowing that there was always someone who would take the day off. Most of the other casuals at that time did the same. Every once in a while mgt would tell us we couldn't do that but before long we went back to doing it.

Did you take a personal or sick day or did you take a dead day?

Brownslave688

I guess it also wasn't the problem of the 80 customers that you screwed over.

No one got screwed over it all got delivered but no I screwed no one. I was told at lunch to skip certain areas. They knew I was loaded no where for an 8.0. Management forgot to pass the message on no not my problem.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Did you take a personal or sick day or did you take a dead day?

Neither, I went back and worked, but in the event that I would not have, I would have taken an unpaid day. If I want a day off I really don't care if I get paid for it. If I really want to get paid, I can ALMOST always convince some senior driver to go home.