being forced to do "skilled" work without raise?...

ovid

About 5-6 workers (myself included), have been sorting, and doing bulk (which also requires that one know the sort), for many months, but haven't received the raise. The manager says that we need to pass the sort test (despite doing the work everyday unsupervised, and satisfactorily, or better), but we have to chase, and plead, and nag to get a chance to take it. Then they make it even harder to pass. One guy who managed to pass it four months ago has still not received his raise.

I WANT to go back to an "unskilled" position, so
can they force me to perform "skilled labor" without giving me the raise?
also, do you think that this is grievance worthy? I have spoken with several different stewards, and all of them tell me something completely different. Any help appreciated.

blue efficacy

Just take the damn test, and pass it on your own time. That's what I had to do before bidding on a "skilled" position.

Or put your name on the preferred jobs bid list for an "unskilled" job.

Fnix

At least your hub considers those skilled jobs. We dont sort by zipcode and PAS has eliminated loading as a skilled job also.

blue efficacy

At least your hub considers those skilled jobs. We dont sort by zipcode and PAS has eliminated loading as a skilled job also.
File a grievance. The national master agreement says "Preloader/Sorter" receives the extra $1, it says nothing about having to know zip codes or whatever. If you're a part time, preloading or sorting, you should have that dollar.

Fnix

File a grievance. The national master agreement says "Preloader/Sorter" receives the extra $1, it says nothing about having to know zip codes or whatever. If you're a part time, preloading or sorting, you should have that dollar.

What about irreg train driver?

W

westsideworma

our loaders get the 9.50 an hour rate and we have PAS, I'd definitely get with your union as thats pretty fishy...however the SPA personnel do not here, not sure how that is everywhere else.

LKLND3380

About 5-6 workers (myself included), have been sorting, and doing bulk (which also requires that one know the sort), for many months, but haven't received the raise. The manager says that we need to pass the sort test (despite doing the work everyday unsupervised, and satisfactorily, or better), but we have to chase, and plead, and nag to get a chance to take it. Then they make it even harder to pass. One guy who managed to pass it four months ago has still not received his raise.

I WANT to go back to an "unskilled" position, so
can they force me to perform "skilled labor" without giving me the raise?
also, do you think that this is grievance worthy? I have spoken with several different stewards, and all of them tell me something completely different. Any help appreciated.

If you do "skilled work" for more than 30 minutes... YOU ARE PAID THE SKILLED RATE FOR THE ENTIRE DAY WORKED...

So if you are on the sort aisle for 30 minutes and then work three hours doing unskilled work. You are paid for the whole time at skilled rate...

You are due back pay... It does not matter that you took the test or not... YOU WERE WORKING AS DIRECTED... THE SUPE KNEW THEY WERE PUTTING YOU IN A SKILLED POSITION...

Fnix

Ok so if I've been at UPS for a little over a year and do irreg, sort and load then how much should I be making?

LKLND3380

Ok so if I've been at UPS for a little over a year and do irreg, sort and load then how much should I be making?

What did they start you at 8.50?

I think (been too long) you get a .50 raise after 30 days? So 9.00 and then add your 1.00 for skilled... 10.00 and then your .50 yearly raise = 10.50

dunderchief

LKLND 3380 is right. Preload positions stills get skilled pay, PAS or no PAS. He is also right that if you perform skilled work for 30 minutes you deserve skilled pay for the entire shift, whether you are qualified or not.

RedThunder

In our center, since PAS came in earlier this year, preload positions are unskilled and any new hires are starting at $8.50. If you were there before then you stay at $9.50. Is this not correct?

W

westsideworma

In our center, since PAS came in earlier this year, preload positions are unskilled and any new hires are starting at $8.50. If you were there before then you stay at $9.50. Is this not correct?

it doesn't even say preloader is a skilled position it just lists that preloaders and sorters get an extra dollar an hour (least in the copy of the agreement I have). There is no debate if you load the brownies you get the extra dollar PAS or not.

Fnix

Trying to figure how a guy thats been with UPS for 10 years makes $17.25 p/t

In 10 years i'll make $15.50 including all sort and load

Overpaid Union Thug

I don't have my contract book handy but I think it says that anyone that performs skilled work for an hour and a half (1.5 hours) shall get skilled pay for all hours worked.

supercool

If you do "skilled work" for more than 30 minutes... YOU ARE PAID THE SKILLED RATE FOR THE ENTIRE DAY WORKED...

So if you are on the sort aisle for 30 minutes and then work three hours doing unskilled work. You are paid for the whole time at skilled rate...

You are due back pay... It does not matter that you took the test or not... YOU WERE WORKING AS DIRECTED... THE SUPE KNEW THEY WERE PUTTING YOU IN A SKILLED POSITION...

Exactly. At my building it's an hour of skilled work to get the extra $1 for the rest of the day, I think, but if you're doing it for whatever amount of time you should be getting that extra dollar for doing it. I sense backpay in your future.