Being told not to do the job I was asked to do

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Believe it or not that makes a difference, at least with me it does. I don’t get to see a lot of the drivers because of my start time but I try to take care of the polite ones and the ones that make my job easier.

Sometimes even get them a new PC, it’s not my call where the new ones go but I get along with all the car wash guys so sometimes I ask them to hook up one of my favorite drivers when I get a new one in my fleet.
Yeah, I was a "car wash" for many years and agree with you. Good attitude and disposition goes a long way on both sides. Mechs were generally really good to me. One reason was because I tried not to waste their time with things I could take care of myself, or just doing something for them to make it a bit easier. (Moving a lineup so they can easily pull a vehicle, or etc.)

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
That’s fine, I get that. You guys are under a lot pressure but that doesn’t give you the right to be a condescending ass to me every single time I need something fixed.

I don’t know when you clock out and I certainly didn’t plan on the trailer not being road worthy but I can’t take it on the road like that and loads are time sensitive. You’re not the only one under pressure.

Just explaining to you why you get the attitude. This company puts us all in a bad position, it brings out the worse in people

They could easily fix these problems but they won't and never will. Everything is last minute, cheap and with bare minimum equipment and then it's our fault we didn't have enough pixie dust to make their unreasonable expectations happen.

Redtag

Then fill out a few “parts on order” and
“Scheduled”

A few months ago my manager said we were spending too much time on wirteups and he had some stupid formula for how much time per night we are to spend on writeups...

Seriously, I don’t know where they come up with some of this BS

Yeah, I was a "car wash" for many years and agree with you. Good attitude and disposition goes a long way on both sides. Mechs were generally really good to me. One reason was because I tried not to waste their time with things I could take care of myself, or just doing something for them to make it a bit easier. (Moving a lineup so they can easily pull a vehicle, or etc.)

Yeah, I like to keep friendly with car wash. They can be a big help when I am in a rush

Last edited:

pkgdriver

Im in Arizona. Those fans are a waste of time and money. No one uses them here. It’s like turning a hot blow dryer in your face when it’s 112 out. That’s not going to save anyone from heat exhaustion. You should find a more worthwhile crusade to “patrol”.
Have had many pkg car years without the fan .I sure appreciate the fan. It does help. I may be 5-10 degrees behind in temp but my humidity slaps YOU to the curb very quickly. Have had two coworkers I think that bitched about the fan.....guess what happened when it went on the fritz. We actually have two (possibly more) pkg cars with two fans in them. I just bid a route with two. Take one away for another pkg car if the idiots running this place wont let you spend money on new ones.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
If you guys knew how much they expect of us in a 40 hour week you would understand how getting several write ups in all caps Needs fan would piss us off.

We have fleets we are expected to manage, those of us with a package fleet will have 30-45 or so package cars that we are responsible for, it can be quite a bit of work depending on where you are on PMs and such, so we have to prioritize where we spend our time... first priority with writeups is safety and road call items, I am sorry but the only fan that is a Fed item is the defrost.

I do believe that fans would be a good thing, especially for those of you in hot climates, but the company is not going to provide us any extra time to install these, so it may take a long time until the mechanics get to it.

completely understandable I appreciate the knowledge bomb you dropped that no one else at my center felt that this was necessary to inform people. I have even spoke with the mechanic before this, about these missing fans. He told me how ups cut their budget and hours. The old manager was dog dookie and never gave the ok to order the fans.

I have heard rumors about my centers mechanic on how he doesn’t do anything but stand around and talk. I thought writing these up would just put the work order in a queue, not get people butt hurt.

Thanks for the info

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
completely understandable I appreciate the knowledge bomb you dropped that no one else at my center felt that this was necessary to inform people. I have even spoke with the mechanic before this, about these missing fans. He told me how ups cut their budget and hours. The old manager was dog dookie and never gave the ok to order the fans.

I have heard rumors about my centers mechanic on how he doesn’t do anything but stand around and talk. I thought writing these up would just put the work order in a queue, not get people butt hurt.

Thanks for the info
Honestly sounds like your management just Doesn’t want to spend money on fans. I’d file if you don’t get some

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
When I'd go to the shop for something, and pop my tractor brake, the mechanics would take off in a dead run. You could literally see a wrench hanging in the air, but nobody holding it. They definately don't like feeder repairs, especially the beat up rail trailers with light problems. Night side mechanics at my building were like Bigfoot. You hear about them existing, maybe get a blurry glimpse of one, but when you walk in the shop, they were nowhere to be seen.

Redtag

When I'd go to the shop for something, and pop my tractor brake, the mechanics would take off in a dead run. You could literally see a wrench hanging in the air, but nobody holding it. They definately don't like feeder repairs, especially the beat up rail trailers with light problems. Night side mechanics at my building were like Bigfoot. You hear about them existing, maybe get a blurry glimpse of one, but when you walk in the shop, they were nowhere to be seen.

You would have better luck with the trailer guys... they don’t have fleets and work off of a red tag list and a pm list provided by management... didn’t get to it then it’s the next guys problem. When you have a fleet it’s why didn’t YOU get to it.

Thanks for the info

It’s not like PE, we don’t have a central dispatch.. my trucks my problem.

If it’s one mechanic I highly doubt he stands around and talks all the time, these trucks are terrible, If he didn’t do anything his road calls would be a mess and they would be all over him.