Bereavement leave question

Does a step parent qualify as a bereavement leave?

We have a team member who says her dad is deathly ill(cancer/fell broke hip/many other ailments)..the thing is we found her dads obituary from 6 years ago when he died.

If this is some how a step parent she is claiming this time well she be entitled to bereavement leave and pay....she has taken the entire month of May to go out of state to care for him( was gone 2 weeks, back 1 day and out of state again...this is over 1000 miles one way)

This team member pulls these games all the time...see my previous post "problem child"

The team member has exhausted their allotted sick days, vacation, floating holidays, and personal days and the person does this every year. This is why our work group is frustrated with her dad dying a second time.

Is there a tactful way to present this information to our work group manager and Sr. Manager

AB831

No I'm not management, if I were the guidelines would be available as to the answers to the question regarding this. The use of "team member " is meant to is to not give any gender specifics as to the individual.
You referred to her as "she" though. I used to work with one of these types at my old job. They do their homework on the laws and they milk it for all it's worth because they can. My advice is to leave it alone because if you call her out, it's going to make you look like the bad guy even if it's legitimate.

I am FedEx

Is her mother re-married to this step parent? If so, this falls into a grayish area. More than likely she has already contacted HR and got approval through them. Each situation is handled differently depending on the on-going situation. Would you want someone harassing you if you were in this employees shoes?

Est.1998

I agree.
If you're not management, aside from discussing it among your fellow co-workers, you shouldn't get involved.
People like her normally fall off after a while by quitting or getting fired. The universe will work it out.

Is her mother re-married to this step parent? If so, this falls into a grayish area. More than likely she has already contacted HR and got approval through them. Each situation is handled differently depending on the on-going situation. Would you want someone harassing you if you were in this employees shoes?

Mother died in 2010 and father died in 2014 as per obituaries found online and yes the time was approved by our management.

I agree.
If you're not management, aside from discussing it among your fellow co-workers, you shouldn't get involved.
People like her normally fall off after a while by quitting or getting fired. The universe will work it out.

The team is frustrated!

This person been with the company 10 plus years and pulls this stuff all the time. The type that has HR on speed dial. They have regularly cited her for attendance issues. Team members have gone to current and past work group managers and senior managers about her games she plays, their response they can't really do anything she has to hang herself even they feel some her call ins as not truthful...(always having 2 day dental appointments on friday/Saturday )

Do we bring this discovered obituary to our managers attention and let him deal with it or just everyone continue to pull or hair out watch as she walks all over the manager

Damon77

Mother died in 2010 and father died in 2014 as per obituaries found online and yes the time was approved by our management.

This is so :censored3: creepy. Mind your business, dude, and if it's an issue let management handle it. Word gets back to her that those in her workgroup were questioning the validity of the death of someone close to her, I'd expect a sit down with HR.

You referred to her as "she" though. I used to work with one of these types at my old job. They do their homework on the laws and they milk it for all it's worth because they can. My advice is to leave it alone because if you call her out, it's going to make you look like the bad guy even if it's legitimate.

Yes, she does look into the laws, mainly HIPPA and uses fakes DR. Notes she gets online, even bringing them to a co worker and asking them does this look real and handing them 3 different ones

As stated the person has HR on speed dial..the teams frustrated and depending on work assignment for work if this person is in a certain position best are taken to what day(s) they will call in..Friday/Saturday is almost a given...like getting the free space on a bingo card

Est.1998

The team is frustrated!

This person been with the company 10 plus years and pulls this stuff all the time. The type that has HR on speed dial. They have regularly cited her for attendance issues. Team members have gone to current and past work group managers and senior managers about her games she plays, their response they can't really do anything she has to hang herself even they feel some her call ins as not truthful...(always having 2 day dental appointments on friday/Saturday )

Do we bring this discovered obituary to our managers attention and let him deal with it or just everyone continue to pull or hair out watch as she walks all over the manager
One thing you need to understand is that every job that exists has a person like this. Let's say you successfully get her fired, which seems to be your goal, someone else will feel the void of being the "excuse for not working" guy. Let it go man, just let it go. If it doesn't affect your job and livelihood why are you concerned? Unless you're jealous and want to get time off too.

dezguy

Team member?? Yeah dude, in not part of your team. I go to work to get paid and thats it.

Team member! That's a good one!

Mind your business. It doesn't affect you.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
We had a guy who was just like that. Management couldn’t touch him. He screwed up one day and quit to try to make a success of his side business. It was a happy day for management and hourly alike. Then he tried to come back. Lol. No way, Jose. He got a job at UPS which he was fired from eventually. Last I saw him he was working for a Ground contractor.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Heck I worked with a guy who's grandma died 3 times.

He was always whining about how undependable she was to the family.

AB831

The team is frustrated!

I know it's annoying, dude, but like other posters have said, there's one at every job and once she goes, there will be another to take her place. This may backfire on you if she catches wind of the extent to which you're going to catch her with her hand in the cookie jar. If she has HR on speed dial, don't think she'll hesitate to pull them on you for harassment. And not to be a jerk, but it sounds like she has a pretty good case for herself if you're googling her dead parents.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Harassment does not have to involve face to face contact. Googling her dead parents and attempting to use that information to get her disciplined and/or terminated could be considered harassment.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American