Best check yet.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
He made a poor attempt at humor. You were joking about it all night and he stepped over the line to join in. Discuss it with him man to man but don't throw him under the bus. Laugh it off, it is kinda funny. BM

atatbl

I am the first one to say things that can be construed as inappropriate. However, I don't do it at work. And I certainly think before I put someone's private info out there. I can't think of a time I ever felt that was appropriate. So haven't done it to date.

What's more is that there are strict policies against what he did. These actions are actually spelled out as things NOT TO DO as a sup. Also, there are laws that forbid the exact thing that this sup did.

Fine don't call the ethics hotline. Have a chat with him "man to man". That will get him to apologize to you because it is the only way to make the situation less awkward.

Then, when he does something similar in the future (which is imminent) you will get to watch a co worker or maybe even yourself, again, go the the embarrassment and/or feeling of being wronged.

The least you should do is talk to his superior. That MIGHT change this sup's decision making process when trying to play a "joke" in front of the entire shift's group of employees.

Brown and Upstate, I understand taking things over the line. We all say things that could possibly hurt us if they were made a big deal of. But do either of you say to yourself "Wait, this is actually illegal and can get me fired.... to hell with it I am sure it will be hilarioous"?!?!? I would bet not. And if you want to argue that this sup didn't know it was illegal and totally inappropriate for the workplace, then I don't know what to say except he shouldn't be a sup. Plain and clear.

atatbl

Yeah, I guess I do kinda thrive in conflict. Either way, that would be one thing that I would NOT let slide. I guess things like private info are my pet peeve. I may be too by the book on that. I would assume no "real" harm will come out of what happened to Diegotron. It's more the principle.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
When I started at UPS 20 years ago our paychecks were just laying on a pile. Not even in an envelope. They still had SS # on them then. You could look at any ones check. It's a different world now.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I remember those days. They also used to put the union dues list on the counter with SSNs included. I am so glad we went to Employee ID#s. We actually had a PT sup who had "borrowed" a few SSNs and opened up a few credit cards and used them. True story.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I guess the most important thing is to pick your battles. Is it worth it? Are you willing to live with the consequences of the outcome. I would have a hard time letting something like this go. I don't like my private information being given out.
I remember just before I went full time driving my sup told the other preloaders that I worked with that I was going full time before she talked to me. When I found out, she happened to be on the belt and we had very load words over the belt about her poor judgement.
I chewed out an OMS once (not all that long ago) for giving out my cell phone number. She doesn't do it anymore.
Ultimately it boils down to, is it worth the fight and the possible outcome.

filthpig

I would just let it go. Tell him you would appreciate it if he didn't open your paycheck in the future. If he's a prick about it, castrate him.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
bm

while not the hotline as ata suggested, i would have a grievance waiting at the very least . what the sup did might be funny to some, but so is walking in on the division meeting and dumping ketchup over your center managers head. it just isnt done.

there are privacy laws that have been violated by the sup. both federal, state and ups all have written documents to prohibit thisw type of behavior, and while they might be laughing, it is no joking matter. And ups is liable for the action as well.

d

atatbl

bm

while not the hotline as ata suggested, i would have a grievance waiting at the very least . what the sup did might be funny to some, but so is walking in on the division meeting and dumping ketchup over your center managers head. it just isnt done.

there are privacy laws that have been violated by the sup. both federal, state and ups all have written documents to prohibit thisw type of behavior, and while they might be laughing, it is no joking matter. And ups is liable for the action as well.

d

Well put. That is why I actually got irritated even reading the OP. This isn't something that is borderline or open to interpretation. This is spelled out as wrong. Sups are human and make mistakes. So be it. This wasn't "innocent" like most of the mistakes we all make during any given day. His actions broke the law and also created a situation that someone would most likely feel upset/embarrassed about. Others may say this is looking at it too harshly, but the rules are there...... it's just reality. What the sups intentions were are not only secondary in this matter, they should not even be taken into account.

Maybe the hotline was too much, but I still hold to my opinion that only talking to the perpetrator and not his superior will inevitably lead to this sup making another piss poor decision that does even more damage to someone at a future time.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
picking fights is not the issue. the issue is 1, that an employee has had his privacy breached, and managment was making fun of the situation. then 2. furthermore, they then opened (it is sealed for a reason when coming into the center) the private paycheck envelope of the employee and posted the check in a public place for the other employees to see the personal information, thereby creating a situation where the said employee felt violated and embarrassed because of that action.

it was not something done in jest, it was something done with forethought and malice.

talk to your business agent and the center management team. beleive me, they will understand that this is a very serious matter.

Then tell the pt sups to quit crying.

d

picking fights is not the issue. the issue is 1, that an employee has had his privacy breached, and managment was making fun of the situation. then 2. furthermore, they then opened (it is sealed for a reason when coming into the center) the private paycheck envelope of the employee and posted the check in a public place for the other employees to see the personal information, thereby creating a situation where the said employee felt violated and embarrassed because of that action.

it was not something done in jest, it was something done with forethought and malice.

talk to your business agent and the center management team. beleive me, they will understand that this is a very serious matter.

Then tell the pt sups to quit crying.

d

I like your last line, alot. I was planning on just talking to his immidiate boss and asking him to make sure it doesn't happen again. When he asks why I had to tell his boss I'm gonna reply "Quit crying". I'm sure I'll have to recite every safety thing this week as well as be closely watched as I work. He's threatened me before with these things. I hear the words "will write you up" about every other day.:wink2: He once tried to make me hop off the dock to grab packages that fell outside. "I don't have a vest and I wouldn't jump off the dock anyways." "I'm not asking you I'm telling you to Diego, now do it or I'm gonna write you up" "Write me up cause I aint going out there without a vest." He's 19 I think, 2 years younger than I am and he's new to being a PT supervisor. Sometimes likes to puff out his chest. Oh well gonna get ready for work, gotta be there early for a chat. :peaceful:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
when he does, go back to the management team and tell them he is retaliating for you standing up to them on this issue. then file on that as well.

A sup that encourages workers by threatening them is a true gem in ups's cap, one they can be soooooo proud of. Shame that they dont understand real leadership

d

scoobypanda

When we struck in '97, I was toward bottom of seniority list. Took weeks to get back to a regular schedule and I had little ones at home. 5 weeks with little or no pay and things were getting tight. Me and another low seniority guy decided maybe if we showed up even though we were still laid off, we could run some air or 1/2 load or something. 2 supes working dispatch actually laughed at us and said go home or go to breakfast, we have nothing for you. To this day, I make U.P.S pay for their ridiculous, hurtful attempt at humor. Don't ever back down from these arrogant, condescending types to avoid "problems". Use your rights, use your steward and business agent. Submit your grievance, they don't let anything slide, why should we? They look to discipline guys for not scanning info note or putting lunch in board, and you are supposed to let this arrogant ***** slide? No way.

Last edited by a moderator:

upsgrunt

You could make it known to him that you are "one up" on him, and that he basically "owes" you at least one favor for not getting him fired. I truly believe that he would get axed too- there are reasons that paychecks are security sealed and for him to break that seal on YOUR paycheck is out of bounds. If he really understands that, he should be more than happy to "scratch your back".