Best time of year to retire

hardcharger

I’m planning on retiring in 3 years if I can. Just want to hear opinions. I’d like to stay as long as it takes to get my vacation pay out for the following year. Not sure how this works but I’d like to hear any suggestions or let me know how your experience was. I’m trying to get Medical and dental issues taken care of before my retirement. Any other suggestions?

oldngray

nowhere special
Dental is almost the same but in my plan there is a $2500 yearly cap. Plenty if you stay caught up and continue to get frequent cleanings but not enough if you need a lot of work done. Medical is OK but you will probably see higher co pays and deductibles. At 65 you have to switch to Medicare also.

rod

Retired 22 years
Don't know what its like now but when I retired we had NO dental or eye insurance. You were on your own. Its amazing how well you can take care of your teeth if you have to pay for work on them yourself and getting new frames and lenses for glasses didn't happen every year.

I’m planning on retiring in 3 years if I can. Just want to hear opinions. I’d like to stay as long as it takes to get my vacation pay out for the following year. Not sure how this works but I’d like to hear any suggestions or let me know how your experience was. I’m trying to get Medical and dental issues taken care of before my retirement. Any other suggestions?
At least where I'm at if you work till the end of October you get paid for all your vacation for the following year except for sick days and personal days. That's also enough time to get a full year's credit for your pension.

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated
You are smart in looking at things from a financial perspective, but just a thought - I retired in April because I wanted to be able to spend time outside, fishing, golfing, walking, etc. during the first few months of being retired. I did not want to start out being retired locked in my house during winter. Good luck and congratulations!

Shiftless

I ran the numbers when I retired and it made perfect sense to Retire on Either March 17th or May 5th.

For some reason if you choose either one of these dates and you hit your local bar,

One: you get all your drinks paid for
&
Two: when you wake up you have to make an important life choice, Do I have to chew off my arm or don't I ?

Ya gotta love life's choices!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Best time to retire is as soon as you can. If you're dead set on getting your 6 weeks/vacation check then you gotta work til Sept/Oct in most places. Definitely leave before peak, buddy of mine retired the week after Thanksgiving I thought that was pretty cool but I couldn't wait that long, I had my hours for 25 at the end of May and rolled out June 1st.

Shiftless

Best time to retire is as soon as you can. If you're dead set on getting your 6 weeks/vacation check then you gotta work til Sept/Oct in most places. Definitely leave before peak, buddy of mine retired the week after Thanksgiving I thought that was pretty cool but I couldn't wait that long, I had my hours for 25 at the end of May and rolled out June 1st.
Your first line is really the bottom line on retiring!

quad decade guy

Medical and dental issues aren't like paying off your car or house. They continue and ultimately kill you.......matter of fact......they probably accelerate and become more numerous.

We get option week payoffs at the first of the year so leaving early doesn't mean anything except losing money(yes you'll get 3 months time)....3 months vs the next 20-30 years. For me, 3 months pay is $30k.....and the debatable "free insurance".

Now, the way things are going in this country....3 years could mean huge changes.

I'm 58 with 40 years and 38 full time. SSI at 62 vs. 65 is $600 per month. 67 even more.

Medicare at 65....so it would make good sense for me(all around) to retire at 65. In the interim making $750k.

Lastly, I can retire now. It will cost me $80k per year until age 65....then about $40k per year the rest of my life.

How long will you live after retirement? If you are planning on getting some other job....why not keep one of the highest paying in America?

If I can.....what does that mean to you?

Medical and dental issues aren't like paying off your car or house. They continue and ultimately kill you.......matter of fact......they probably accelerate and become more numerous.

We get option week payoffs at the first of the year so leaving early doesn't mean anything except losing money(yes you'll get 3 months time)....3 months vs the next 20-30 years. For me, 3 months pay is $30k.....and the debatable "free insurance".

Now, the way things are going in this country....3 years could mean huge changes.

I'm 58 with 40 years and 38 full time. SSI at 62 vs. 65 is $600 per month. 67 even more.

Medicare at 65....so it would make good sense for me(all around) to retire at 65. In the interim making $750k.

Lastly, I can retire now. It will cost me $80k per year until age 65....then about $40k per year the rest of my life.

How long will you live after retirement? If you are planning on getting some other job....why not keep one of the highest paying in America?

If you had a 401k you could retire..

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

To bad you didn’t do any investing with all your knowledge you’d be a gazillonaire by now
Got one of my retirement fund statements today it’s been a good year so far

Uncle Joe’s got the economy humming

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

I think you’ll be there until you can’t physically do the job anymore
You can’t afford to retire

quad decade guy

To bad you didn’t do any investing with all your knowledge you’d be a gazillonaire by now
Got one of my retirement fund statements today it’s been a good year so far

Uncle Joe’s got the economy humming
Praising Joe Biden just confirms you have no clue.....standard stuff for you. Stick with what you know....being hateful.