Best time of year to retire

hardcharger

You are smart in looking at things from a financial perspective, but just a thought - I retired in April because I wanted to be able to spend time outside, fishing, golfing, walking, etc. during the first few months of being retired. I did not want to start out being retired locked in my house during winter. Good luck and congratulations!
Thanks. my original plan is to retire June 1 and take my 6 weeks vacation consecutively before that day. For some reason the retirement calculator shows thats the best time for me. Any sooner and my retirement amount is a lot lower. I just want to leave ASAP. Things at ups dont seem to be changing and not for the better.

Yes I have a 401k. been contributing for 28 years. I’ve done well but was just hoping to walk away with my vacation pay out. Kinda like a little retirement bonus. But I just want out. And the way things are looking , it seems like things will be changing for the worse.
You always going to take an account for your birthday and your wife's birthday that might be a difference on your pension payout

Double check everything before you put your paperwork in

hardcharger

You always going to take an account for your birthday and your wife's birthday that might be a difference on your pension payout

Double check everything before you put your paperwork in
I’m a widower. Lost my wife to cancer a couple years ago. So it’s just me. And than you. I have been looking at the dates to retire and my birthday is in the beginning of year and my seniority date is in sept. So I should retire with 31 years.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Yes I have a 401k. been contributing for 28 years. I’ve done well but was just hoping to walk away with my vacation pay out. Kinda like a little retirement bonus. But I just want out. And the way things are looking , it seems like things will be changing for the worse.
At least here vacation payout is prorated so if you leave 6/1 you'll still get around 4 weeks paid give or take a day. Do you really want to give up 3-4 months of retirement just to get another 2 weeks of vacation payout? I sure didn't.

Indecisi0n

Don't know what its like now but when I retired we had NO dental or eye insurance. You were on your own. Its amazing how well you can take care of your teeth if you have to pay for work on them yourself and getting new frames and lenses for glasses didn't happen every year.
Did they even have dentists that far back ?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Don't know what its like now but when I retired we had NO dental or eye insurance. You were on your own. Its amazing how well you can take care of your teeth if you have to pay for work on them yourself and getting new frames and lenses for glasses didn't happen every year.
we get our glasses at the dollar store.

Overpaid Union Thug

I’ve screen shot a bunch of scenarios in the retirement calculator on UPSers. With the exception of the “early retirement date” (which is a ripoff) all my calculations are based on my last day being sometime in October. I saved them on my cloud so I don’t always have to log in to that horrendous website to see them.

Waiting a full year later bumps the pension ipjust over $100/year up until year 37. It jumps up a couple hundred dollars then but I’ll be long gone before that. My calculations are a bit wonky due to working part-time for so long first.