Best time of year to retire

hardcharger

I’ve screen shot a bunch of scenarios in the retirement calculator on UPSers. With the exception of the “early retirement date” (which is a ripoff) all my calculations are based on my last day being sometime in October. I saved them on my cloud so I don’t always have to log in to that horrendous website to see them.

Waiting a full year later bumps the pension ipjust over $100/year up until year 37. It jumps up a couple hundred dollars then but I’ll be long gone before that. My calculations are a bit wonky due to working part-time for so long first.
I’ll be 55 in April 2024. I used the calculator and if I retire the month I turn 55 my monthly pension amount is around $1200 less than if I wait till June. So staying an extra 2 months gives me that $1200 bump. Not sure why as my seniority date is in September. This will give me almost 29 years FT and 2 PT. I just hope I can make it that much longer

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
if you wanna go to college just get some student loans......don't worry they will be forgiven.
if you have any relatives in the old country , just bring them over. no worry about green cards. they will get amnesty
shoplifting is okay as long as it's not over $25.
don't work too hard or earn too much money. the taxman will take it all. better to stay on couch and watch Miami housewives or Kardashians big ass.
Get a giant mortgage as fall behind......that will be forgiven
Credit cards? forgetaboutit......max them all out.....
No need to work for a pension . Social security plus your free 5k a month is all you need.
Housing? don't worry. . Carter will build you a house from Habitat for Humanity

Don't worry about who is gonna pay for all this. Your Uncle has a printing press.
Anyway , they said the wealthy will pay for your lazy butt.

Don't worry......Be Happy.....

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
if you wanna go to college just get some student loans......don't worry they will be forgiven.
if you have any relatives in the old country , just bring them over. no worry about green cards. they will get amnesty
don't work too hard or earn too much money. the taxman will take it all. better to stay on couch and watch Miami housewives or Kardashians big ass.
No need to work for a pension . Social security plus your free 5k a month is all you need.

Don't worry about who is gonna pay for all this. Your Uncle has a printing press.

You been drinking?

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I’ll be 55 in April 2024. I used the calculator and if I retire the month I turn 55 my monthly pension amount is around $1200 less than if I wait till June. So staying an extra 2 months gives me that $1200 bump. Not sure why as my seniority date is in September. This will give me almost 29 years FT and 2 PT. I just hope I can make it that much longer

You will make it ... unless you get hit by a bus 🚌.

Overpaid Union Thug

Getting hired later in the year affects pension and vacation allotments. Those of us that were fortunate enough to be hired very early in the year have an easier time with this. But, knowing your seniority date is key.

And the more part-time years you had the more wonky your calculations will be. But everyone will have big bumps in pay the farther out they calculate though. Regardless of whether or not they had part-time years. My big bump is when I calculate out to 36 years. It goes from $3317 to $3670. Every year before that is roughly $105 more. That is my full-time pension only. My part-time will be $495 per month once I reach the 30 year mark. It does not go up.

Last edited:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
It's smart to plan ahead like this. For me, it wasn't easy to pick that final date. Where I'm at, we work until the second or third week of August to get enough days to get paid for next year's six weeks of vacation. They also have to pay off any previously scheduled vacations. I finally chose my company hire date in October just to finish up 45 years as a personal goal. The time changed and it got dark earlier a week later. Also, they would load me up and give me a peak season helper at the end of October, so I dodged that garbage. My Center Manager didn't like it and wouldn't look me in the face the last three months I worked.

Shiftless

To me, that is an amazing number of years to work at UPS!

Having retired at the age of 49 and you on the job 45 years was nearly my whole life time when l I retired using your timeline. Not that there is anything wrong in this time frame, it still blows me away!

How many years of pkg car did you do again?

I only did pkg car for two peak seasons and knew this is gonna have to change or I will never see a finish line at UPS.

Over70irregs

Kardashian…… Yes. Carter……Throwback!!!

Over70irregs

Talked to a driver he can go at 50. Another at 49. The 49’er says his job is easy so he’ll stay. The 50 guy thinks about get another job while body is good. Another guy is 55 and is going for 5 more years for 401k perhaps? 50 is young but sounds intriguing……

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Talked to a driver he can go at 50. Another at 49. The 49’er says his job is easy so he’ll stay. The 50 guy thinks about get another job while body is good. Another guy is 55 and is going for 5 more years for 401k perhaps? 50 is young but sounds intriguing……
I know a couple guys who rolled out at 46, last I heard they're both doing well. One of them go so bored he went got another job though.