Best time of year to retire

Big gap between 50-59.5. 50-55 is a bit of time also.
I understand the whole concept of not wanting to work at this place.
What you going to look at a long-term picture. Yes you cannot put a price tag on yours of your life but on the other hand you don't want to check out from work too early and struggle at the end of of your life when you're not capable of working.

Sit down and make a plan, and exit strategy to get out of this place

oldngray

nowhere special
I understand the whole concept of not wanting to work at this place.
What you going to look at a long-term picture. Yes you cannot put a price tag on yours of your life but on the other hand you don't want to check out from work too early and struggle at the end of of your life when you're not capable of working.

Sit down and make a plan, and exit strategy to get out of this place
There is no best answer. Everyone needs to weigh how much they need to keep working vs the added time off in retirement when you are hopefully still young and healthy enough to enjoy it.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
It's smart to plan ahead like this. For me, it wasn't easy to pick that final date. Where I'm at, we work until the second or third week of August to get enough days to get paid for next year's six weeks of vacation. They also have to pay off any previously scheduled vacations. I finally chose my company hire date in October just to finish up 45 years as a personal goal. The time changed and it got dark earlier a week later. Also, they would load me up and give me a peak season helper at the end of October, so I dodged that garbage. My Center Manager didn't like it and wouldn't look me in the face the last three months I worked.
Did you hear your center manager got busted down to Preload Supervisor? Couldn't happen to a nicer guy

There is no best answer. Everyone needs to weigh how much they need to keep working vs the added time off in retirement when you are hopefully still young and healthy enough to enjoy it.
I'm working on that right now as we speak.
There's a lots of things to consider just besides the pension money.

The price of healthcare, extra years of adding to your social security, which I take the best 35 years you're earnings and maybe may not be thinking about that right now but later on in life you might have wished that you worked another year or two.

Trust me I want to get here myself but I don't want to be sitting around doing nothing or having the money not to be able to enjoy the things I actually wanted to do

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I turned 55 right at Christmas of 2020 with 35 years ( 31 FT and 4 PT) I have planned on my retirement since I was in my Twenties and retired January 9 of this year. I have ZERO regrets and am glad I got out when I did. I have my health,very little aches and pains from the job and I enjoy every single minute of each day now. I can't imagine having to deal with that job any longer than I absolutely had to

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Did they move him to another building to try to keep it quiet? I knew a manager they did that to.
nope he is in the same building. I sent him a card at Scratch's old building congratulating him on his promotion. He was my center manager from 2013-2018 and he knew exactly how to spell my name lol

oldngray

nowhere special

The price of healthcare, extra years of adding to your social security, which I take the best 35 years you're earnings and maybe may not be thinking about that right now but later on in life you might have wished that you worked another year or two.

Trust me I want to get here myself but I don't want to be sitting around doing nothing or having the money not to be able to enjoy the things I actually wanted to do
Healthcare is the big unknown. You can plan for everything else but that will still be a question mark. Trying to chase that last dollar on social security seems pretty pointless to me with it being unlikely to survive in its present form much longer.

I turned 55 right at Christmas of 2020 with 35 years ( 31 FT and 4 PT) I have planned on my retirement since I was in my Twenties and retired January 9 of this year. I have ZERO regrets and am glad I got out when I did. I have my health,very little aches and pains from the job and I enjoy every single minute of each day now. I can't imagine having to deal with that job any longer than I absolutely had to
You old bastard

Over70irregs

Thinking were about to go through “Next Wave” and the Life expectancy will be diminished. The amount of $ that can be made doing a 20-30 stretch per week doing something that is liked vs exposure job is being weighed.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Thinking were about to go through “Next Wave” and the Life expectancy will be diminished. The amount of $ that can be made doing a 20-30 stretch per week doing something that is liked vs exposure job is being weighed.
Sounds like you have an exciting vision of the future.

If I was single I'd walk out the door right now but I have to take him consideration the love of my life, the mother of my children and his kept me going all these years.
In the event something happens to me I want to make sure she's well taken care of

oldngray

nowhere special
If I was single I'd walk out the door right now but I have to take him consideration the love of my life, the mother of my children and his kept me going all these years.
In the event something happens to me I want to make sure she's well taken care of
You are probably worth more to her dead.

Just sayin' ...

Over70irregs

Now that is the Winner comment right there. Good credit, 401k, low debt (0%), insurance all factors.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Did you hear your center manager got busted down to Preload Supervisor? Couldn't happen to a nicer guy
No, this is news to me. He was supposed to retire last year but told me he was hanging in a little bit longer for a bigger pension bump. There is some creative record-keeping going on in that building and it goes up higher than him. It sounds like he was sacrificed by one of his partners.