Bezos does the expected for once.

Oldfart

And never trying to learn something for yourself you'll have no choice but to never question anything he says.
I've done a lot more than to just drive a truck but doing so occupied the majority of my working years. But knowing that it alone wouldn't be enough and devoid of a wife and kids that I could depend on for advice and knowledge I knew that I needed to learn as much as possible regarding matters that could impact my life going forward.
Now given your obviously limited gene pool and of course we know all about the problem with inbreeding down your way I seriously doubt that your inbred loins begat much in the way of a gifted intellect that you could go to for professional knowledge and advice. As senseless as it is nevertheless you want cheap shots .

I'll give you as many as you can withstand and they will be painful But, clearly that's the way you want it.
LOL!!!!!!!!!

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I’d guess the $300k figure is best case scenario. I’m sure you’ll show everyone how great of a manger you are when you get going. Most Express and UPS building run fewer than 80 drivers and have plenty of OT, they must all be terrible at scheduling. You’re nuts if you think you can plan 40 routes to be perfectly run in 10 hours and that’ll happen everyday, but I’d guess that’s how Amazon is making its projections.
He has a diagram drawn on a paper napkin that supports what he says.
Hope he doesn't wipe the wrong orifice with it.

FedGT

Look up the definition of tangible assets and intangible assets . Then get back to me .
Technically in this circumstance it is tangible assets and “goodwill assets” which are still loanable from an SBA perspective but if you break over the $250k barrier they require 25% down.

dmac1

AMZN said " an individual can earn $18-25 per hour delivering from their own vehicle." Now is that figure AFTER vehicle expenses are taken out or BEFORE vehicle expenses are taken out.

I read that as you would be expected to pay that amount, and you wouldn't expect your employees to pay the expenses.

Back in the 80s when I was delivering newspapers part-time, the company always posted that you could 'earn' $900 a month, or whatever. They always quoted gross pay but a lot of people got roped in finding that they were beating up their cars and adding thousands of miles and working 3-6 hours a day for less than minimum wage net. The net is your actual earnings. That is why I read it the way I did. I could be waaaaay off.

That said, it is definitely worth looking at more seriously to get more details.

dmac1

I’d guess the $300k figure is best case scenario. I’m sure you’ll show everyone how great of a manger you are when you get going. Most Express and UPS building run fewer than 80 drivers and have plenty of OT, they must all be terrible at scheduling. You’re nuts if you think you can plan 40 routes to be perfectly run in 10 hours and that’ll happen everyday, but I’d guess that’s how Amazon is making its projections.

No, I'm happily retired and don't need to work.

dmac1

Your mistake is expecting everything to run perfectly. You need to plan for the unexpected. That's why they tell you to plan for double the number of drivers as you have routes. With a 7 day a week schedule, with 3 day and 4 day schedules you should be able to avoid most OT and have a few drivers on call who you can rotate so they have enough work that they don't quit. It is a lot easier than trying to keep extra drivers around than if you only have 5 routes. You could never keep 10 drivers occupied.

Express, UPS don't try to run 4-10 hour workdays, or work 7 days a week. That schedule gives you greater flexibility. I shouldn't need to explain this to you.

dmac1

Right and I ask you this question. What percentage of the original Day1 ADP contractors will still be there a year later? My guess? Less than 40% And there are no protected territories proprietary rights or goodwill at least no mention of it, somebody could lose a LOT of money.

I don't see how you can lose 'a lot' of money if all you put out is $10k. It isn't $10k per route. I'd hope that the vehicle leases allow an easy out, and I hope the lease terms take depreciation into account. It seems like little risk for a potential 1/3 million dollar income. It is people paying over $100k for a fedex ISP contract that could be cancelled any time by fedex that is the greater risk by a factor of ten, at least. As long as the leasing terms are fair,
and you don't screw up, where's the risk, other than the $10k?

FedGT

$10,000, and no money down vehicle leases means all you need is the ability to provide drivers.

How big was the operation you ran at Ground?? Anyone being so quick to virtually say an idiot can manage 80 drivers flawlessly and easily sounds like someone who had 1-3 routes. you would be in for a rude awakening.

Also many vehicle leases are not year to year, they are 3 year leases. I don’t know how familiar you are with commercial leases but since I am finally out of one that I had to take over on my new business till last month I will enlighten you. As I was vetting the P&L of this business I saw a truck lease for $1400 per month. I figured they had a new 24’ box truck but no........it was a 2012 Mercedes Sprinter. Lease included maintenance, and insurance but also fluctuated with mileage between $1350-1750 per month!!!!! Now if they make you lease 40 vans for 1 year at a cost of $800 per month (probably a low number) that is $384,000 but more than likely it would be 3 so you would be on the hook of $1,152,000 just in regards to the vehicles to lease. Which is much more than an ISP that would make you close to $300k per year with a contract much easier to lose from what I have read.

dmac1

At the end of the bacha, you are JUST a truck driver. You will never be a business genius, your CPA story is comical. Your Congressman found a person willing to do ANYTHING to feel important. You can cut and paste financial news all you want but it won't make you any smarter.

I don't need to know the difference between tangible and intangible. I have a CPA for those matters. He has done me right for years. Just glad he didn't hire you to work with him.

There's no such thing as just a truck driver.' That's saying that Einstein was just a patent clerk. Education and intelligence aren't always reflected in your job choice.

dmac1

How big was the operation you ran at Ground?? Anyone being so quick to virtually say an idiot can manage 80 drivers flawlessly and easily sounds like someone who had 1-3 routes. you would be in for a rude awakening.

Also many vehicle leases are not year to year, they are 3 year leases. I don’t know how familiar you are with commercial leases but since I am finally out of one that I had to take over on my new business till last month I will enlighten you. As I was vetting the P&L of this business I saw a truck lease for $1400 per month. I figured they had a new 24’ box truck but no........it was a 2012 Mercedes Sprinter. Lease included maintenance, and insurance but also fluctuated with mileage between $1350-1750 per month!!!!! Now if they make you lease 40 vans for 1 year at a cost of $800 per month (probably a low number) that is $384,000 but more than likely it would be 3 so you would be on the hook of $1,152,000 just in regards to the vehicles to lease. Which is much more than an ISP that would make you close to $300k per year with a contract much easier to lose from what I have read.

I said that you would need more than what an ISP needs to manage the 80 drivers. You seem to lack comprehension. And I had 3 routes at HD and was maxed out at the terminal over a decade ago. When I wanted another, at the time they told me I was maxed out based on having 20% of the HD routes in the terminal. That was right before changes were made. I left because 3 routes was not my plan. I had been told at the day one recruitment meeting that I could grow as big as I wanted, and I knew that anything less than about 10 routes would be a logistical nightmare. I firmly believe that economy of scale plays into hiring and keeping employees. The seven day a week to has a lot of potential benefits too. For one thing, it means the same number of vehicles is generating more work, lowering your costs by almost 30% compared to a five day week.It also allows you to have back up drivers available on every route.

I also said that lease terms would need to be reasonable, and since you would be leasing from Amazon, I would expect the terms to be suited to the job.

ALL I ever said that if things are as stated by Amazon, it seems to me like a possibility, and worth looking into for the ISP, if he thinks he can handle it. I also said that many ISPs who think they are great managers would not be able to handle it, and some probably couldn't even grasp the advantages of a 7 day week when it comes to hiring.

No matter what, if the only risk is $10k, then it is a much better risk than paying 10x that much for a right to service a contract.

I've also worked for companies where drivers had the option to lease vehicles from the business, and those leases provided for an easy lease termination if you left employment at the company. I wouldn't expect ANYONE to be 'on the hook' for a lease directly from the employer as long as you maintained the vehicles.

All said, not considering it would be stupid for anyone in the business already if they have any confidence in their ability. It might even make it possible for an ISP to keep drivers if the Amazon deal allows for better paid drivers by rotating them into Amazon routes part of the time. . But that remains to be seen. If you can only afford to pay $14 an hour for your fedex driver, but can afford $18 for your Amazon drivers, you could average $16 an hour pay. Maybe use fedex as your starting pay position, then flex with Amazon, and for your top drivers, pay them $18. It just opens doors IF the terms are right. The risk is low enough that it might be worth diving in just to see.

FedGT

I don’t lack any comprehension and also you never brought up anything about easy to break lease until after I was already writing, look at the time stamps yours hit 2 min prior to mine but I put my kid down in the middle of posting.
If you get booted I guarantee they will make you bleed, there won’t be any easy to break “cheap” leases.
Also in relation to a previous post by you, on the Ground side a contractor can do over $300k not driving with much less than 40 trucks and on a 5 day work week if they are in a good area.

Oldfart

There's no such thing as just a truck driver.' That's saying that Einstein was just a patent clerk. Education and intelligence aren't always reflected in your job choice.
If bacha was as smart as he thinks, why is he waking up everyday and going to a job he hates and working for a company he hates even more.

A smart person would find a way to happiness.

dmac1

I don’t lack any comprehension and also you never brought up anything about easy to break lease until after I was already writing, look at the time stamps yours hit 2 min prior to mine but I put my kid down in the middle of posting.
If you get booted I guarantee they will make you bleed, there won’t be any easy to break “cheap” leases.
Also in relation to a previous post by you, on the Ground side a contractor can do over $300k not driving with much less than 40 trucks and on a 5 day work week if they are in a good area.
There aren't that many 'good areas' because fedex requires that someone needs to service bad areas too. And grossing $300k isn't the same as netting $300k. And until I see evidence of netting $300k while including depreciation, I won't believe it. I had this discussion before with someone who claimed to net over $200k, but never counted that all his vehicles were going down in value. He thought that since he used depreciation as a tax deduction, it was already counted.Most of his trucks were worth much less than what he owed on them.

FedGT

I guess that develops 2 thoughts.

First, Amazon claims make up to $300k, doesn’t claim a net of $300k so I was comparing apples to apples at least best I can.
I am sure we have all seen the car sales jobs and call centers that claim you can make UP TO $100k??? 1% do, 70% make less than half that 20% make less than 25% than that.

Anyways, second. There would have to be a time related portion to your depreciation argument. Stay in for 2-3 years could still net $300k per year with partial depreciation where it doesn’t effect your cash out sales very much at all if you have a good accountant.

vantexan

At the end of the bacha, you are JUST a truck driver. You will never be a business genius, your CPA story is comical. Your Congressman found a person willing to do ANYTHING to feel important. You can cut and paste financial news all you want but it won't make you any smarter.

I don't need to know the difference between tangible and intangible. I have a CPA for those matters. He has done me right for years. Just glad he didn't hire you to work with him.
I don't think you get it. Bacha was a contractor in an area where it wasn't possible to make a living with what Fedex required of him and he feels that since they didn't support him properly he got screwed. It's become his mission in life, at least from what I've gathered reading his posts, to make sure anyone interested in becoming a contractor think twice about it, and hopefully deter them. For the longest time I felt the same way about being an Express courier, but getting away from it has lessened my anger considerably. I would encourage him to focus on more positive things. Life isn't always fair, and people get run over in others' pursuit of profit. And I would encourage you to make a loud popping noise as you pull your head out of your ass. The air will smell much fresher. Good day suh!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
If bacha was as smart as he thinks, why is he waking up everyday and going to a job he hates and working for a company he hates even more.

Yet you wake up every morning all worried about him and everybody else that posts here. You call THAT happiness?

Oldfart

Yet you wake up every morning all worried about him and everybody else that posts here. You call THAT happiness?
Just like picking on bacha, Tex and OP. They get their tighty whities in a wad when I catch them stretching the truth, or exaggerating.

I did wake up early this morning before sunrise here in Daytona. Trying to figure out if the weather is gonna cooperate with my weekend plans.

bacha29

Then why is your pathway to happiness completely dependent on cheap shots and personal attacks made on people you don't even know.?

bacha29

I don't think you get it. Bacha was a contractor in an area where it wasn't possible to make a living with what Fedex required of him and he feels that since they didn't support him properly he got screwed. It's become his mission in life, at least from what I've gathered reading his posts, to make sure anyone interested in becoming a contractor think twice about it, and hopefully deter them. For the longest time I felt the same way about being an Express courier, but getting away from it has lessened my anger considerably. I would encourage him to focus on more positive things. Life isn't always fair, and people get run over in others' pursuit of profit. And I would encourage you to make a loud popping noise as you pull your head out of your ass. The air will smell much fresher. Good day suh!
When I began to see on crowd funding sites pleas for money from former contractors begging for donations in an effort to save their homes from being foreclosed most of whom were out servicing the bum frack areas of the nation something in my psyche just snapped. Like so many others including some from my own station they too were fed a big box of lies.With no countervailing numbers of their own they had to take X's word for it. I don't want to see that happen to anyone ever again.
It is for this reason I am happy to have had the opportunity to bring up for discussion the ADP model and I thank those of you who have dissected the model drilled down on the numbers in an effort to separate fact from Madison Avenue spin.
Now if one of the panelists from this sire were to be called in for an interview by ADP hopefully they will be in an better informed position when they step into that room clearly able to know when somebody is being truthful with you or they are simply blowing smoke up your bodily orifice .