Bid back to package from feeder?

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
If they trained you and you went to ups feedah school,,they own you for two years,,,,if you give them the I don't feel comfortable line,.......you WILL be put on the naughty list and could take years to get back in !!!

brett636

I've never heard the 5 year rule. Right now they're so desperate I think they'd be eligible again after 1 year just to have another potential live-body.

I never verified it so maybe the driver was mistaken. He told me he came into feeders a few years ago and began having problems at home so he voluntarily disqualified himself which kept him from trying again for what I think he said 5 years. This was probably a year or two ago when I had a run that went up that way.

BigBeef42

Sometimes when it comes to careers - spouses are going to limit u r options bigtime. The truth is u are providing a very good future for u r family and they MUST understand the complexity of it. If not then find something else.

Sent using BrownCafe App

brett636

Sometimes when it comes to careers - spouses are going to limit u r options bigtime. The truth is u are providing a very good future for u r family and they MUST understand the complexity of it. If not then find something else.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I know of more than a few current feeder drivers who spent the vast majority of their career in package just because their SO didn't want them working nights or on call. The funny thing is most of the admit they have more family time now in feeders than they ever did in package because of the many different scheduling choices.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
if you are in the WEST... you are locked in CEMENT.

First , tell me if you are in the west. Otherwise, you will have to refer to your local package rider and feeder rules to see if there is an agreement between the company and your local.

TOS.

Except in Local 104. If you disqualify yourself in the first 2 weeks you can go back without loss of seniority. Within 30 days-3 years you go back at the bottom of the seniority list for 1 year (lose your previous route, lose seniority for vacations too). After 3 years you can dovetail back in without loss of seniority provided there is an opening. We've had a few special cases resolved outside of these rules too, but fewer than a dozen people have wanted out in the last decade.

govols019

You smell that?
Why can't people from the extended centers around Whites Creek (Including Massman) bid into feeders and package in other buildings like it's done in some areas of the country? It sounds like Whites Creek really could use the help. I'm in one of those extended centers and we've been hearing that Whites Creek is so desperate for feeder drivers that low seniority package drivers and part-timers with as little as two years are going into feeders there but it's still not enough so some of the work is being sub-contracted. Plus, there have been quite a few disqualifications too from what we are hearing. Now is the perfect time to allow the rest of us in. I wish we were all on one combined seniority list. It seems to work in other areas. Why not local 480? I mean really.....why subcontract when there is more than a few people in all of these extended centers that would love to go into feeders.

Have you called the Local and asked Lendon?

Overpaid Union Thug

Have you called the Local and asked Lendon?

No. He's actually not who covers my center but I know who he is. This was brought up at the last contract proposal meeting. Well, sort of. Someone suggested that extended centers be permitted to bid into hub feeders and then someone from Whites Creek or Massman (can't remember which) countered by saying that they propose that the hubs be allowed to bid into the extended centers' package positions. I actually agreed with both suggestions but the last was only proposed as a kind of threat I think.It used to be that way in our local decades ago but someone at WC or Massman filed a grievance claiming that the other was "taking their jobs" or something like that. I couldn't follow what they were saying and the meeting moved on from that discussion pretty quickly. I'm sure there is more to it than that.

Last edited:

govols019

You smell that?
If all other avenues have been exhausted then people from extended centers should be able to bid on hub jobs before they hire outside...Just my opinion.

I should see the folks from your Local next month and I'll see what they have to say about the issue.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If all other avenues have been exhausted then people from extended centers should be able to bid on hub jobs before they hire outside...Just my opinion.

I should see the folks from your Local next month and I'll see what they have to say about the issue.
That's the way we do it here, when there are feeder openings at the hub bid lists are hung at all the extended centers.

barnyard

KTM rider
I wish we were all on one combined seniority list. It seems to work in other areas. Why not local 480?

Be careful what you wish for.

I work in an extended building with that is covered by a combined seniority list. 1 year when the feeder bid came up, a driver from the metro area bid on a run out of my building. That pushed our feeder guy back into package and delayed my pt to ft bid by 1 year.

In my center, a driver will not hold a feeder bid with less than 20 years seniority.

We have a couple of package routes that may be moving to a metro building. I may get the chance to follow one of those routes, but probably will not. I am feeder qualified and if I follow the route, I would go straight to feeders in that building. Next year when the annual bid is hung, there is a possibility that I would not have enough seniority to hold a bid, so I could be moved to another building.

If I followed the route, my commute would be 45ish minutes. If I had to move to another building, the commute could go to well over an hour each way.

From what I have seen, a combined list only works in the favor of management.

Last edited:

Overpaid Union Thug

Yeah that just seems fair. I've been meaning to attend the meetings but I never know when they are. The problem (potentially) for the members working in the extended centers is that the hubs are a huge voting base for our representatives. If you know what I mean.
Why would you take it upon yourself to get involved in something that doesn't concern you?

This is happening in our local. How does it not concern him?
Be careful what you wish for.

I work in an extended building with that is covered by a combined seniority list. 1 year when the feeder bid came up, a driver from the metro area bid on a run out of my building. That pushed our feeder guy back into package and delayed my pt to ft bid by 1 year.

In my center, a driver will not hold a feeder bid with less than 20 years seniority.

We have a couple of package routes that may be moving to a metro building. I may get the chance to follow one of those routes, but probably will not. I am feeder qualified and if I follow the route, I would go straight to feeders in that building. Next year when the annual bid is hung, there is a possibility that I would not have enough seniority to hold a bid, so I could be moved to another building.

If I followed the route, my commute would be 45ish minutes. If I had to move to another building, the commute could go to well over an hour each way.

From what I have seen, a combined list only works in the favor of management.

The possibility of getting bumped out of a building is the only drawback that I see to this. But the positives outweigh the negatives. The main positive being that there is more opportunity for those with seniority and that's whats should matter. Personally...I have little interest in feeders myself but if guys ahead of me here could move into feeders it would helps those below them advance. There are other positives but for me it's all about doing what fair and whats right.