Big 3 vs. UAW

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
I'm just curious what others are hearing/seeing. Seems like they are far apart, like much further apart than we were on July 25th.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My brother is a shop steward at the Bowling Green Corvette plant. He is a pipe fitter by trade, his current job is to clock in at 5:06 AM every morning to walk around and turn on all the equipment for the assembly line. That's all he does for the day, unless something breaks down. He didn't mention anything about a strike the last time I talked to him, I need to catch up with him. A UAW Pension is half of what I get.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Not bad for that kind of workload.
He makes about the same as a UPS driver, maybe a little less. I got a nice private tour of the Corvette plant a few years ago. He really rakes in the overtime though. When the plant is shut down for weekends or a holiday he will go in and watch any outside contractors work making triple time. He is 68 now but his job is so easy he doesn't want to retire. The American manufacturers have lost so much of the market share since the 1970's there are too many retirees in the UAW pension funds.

newolddude

UAW hates Biden.

They endorsed him in 2020.

But admittedly aren’t happy about the EV transition. We’ll see if Trump can pivot to get their 2024 endorsement.

Last edited:

Karma...

water seeks its own level....a strike will be good for both the companies and union.......gung ho is not just a slogan.......make some decent affordable cars for a change.....its managements fault for the hole they dug themselves into not the uaw union.