UAW strike!

Steamer

The UAW has committed to a partial stand up strike. Does this mean that we don't cross to deliver at any location or just those locations that are involved in the partial strike? It's kind of confusing. They turned down a 20% pay increase demanding a 46% increase. They are also asking for a 32 hour work week to be paid for 40.

Thebrownblob

The UAW has committed to a partial stand up strike. Does this mean that we don't cross to deliver at any location or just those locations that are involved in the partial strike? It's kind of confusing. They turned down a 20% pay increase demanding a 46% increase. They are also asking for a 32 hour work week to be paid for 40.
I have no idea how the strike is supposed to work. And some people are walking the picket line and some people are building cars? I’ve heard it is mostly to avoid the strike benefit although the UAW union chief is claiming it’s to keep the company guessing.

On a sidenote, I do find it humorous that the top pay for these auto workers is 32 bucks an hour, while we have some constant complainers and malcontents on here, upset about us making over $44 an hour at top scale. And let’s see what the UAW ends up with because they’re definitely asking for quite a bit.

anonymous23456

I have no idea how the strike is supposed to work. And some people are walking the picket line and some people are building cars? I’ve heard it is mostly to avoid the strike benefit although the UAW union chief is claiming it’s to keep the company guessing.

On a sidenote, I do find it humorous that the top pay for these auto workers is 32 bucks an hour, while we have some constant complainers and malcontents on here, upset about us making over $44 an hour at top scale. And let’s see what the UAW ends up with because they’re definitely asking for quite a bit.
Nope. Nobody will be building cars. The plants will be shut down. These jobs are skilled jobs, and you can't just take a person off the street to do that job. Even if a job is pushing a button to allow 10-ton press machine stamping out car panels, a person off the street just can't be hired doing this. Mistakes can cause people killed and costing millions in damage.

Thebrownblob

Nope. Nobody will be building cars. The plants will be shut down. These jobs are skilled jobs, and you can't just take a person off the street to do that job. Even if a job is pushing a button to allow 10-ton press machine stamping out car panels, a person off the street just can't be hired doing this. Mistakes can cause people killed and costing millions in damage.
No, my point is only a few of the plants are shut down. Which to me doesn’t seem like too big a deal as the company has been shutting down plants left and right for a couple weeks here in there for months. I guess we will see.

What'dyabringmetoday???

No, my point is only a few of the plants are shut down. Which to me doesn’t seem like too big a deal as the company has been shutting down plants left and right for a couple weeks here in there for months. I guess we will see.
I'm sure Big Union Man is mobilizing and will get to the bottom of this. At least until noon.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Why blame Biden? Leadership loves him.

Had President Joe Biden, the self-described “most pro-union president in American history,” done enough to forestall a strike?

“I don’t know what he’s done,” Quick said. “Ask him. I don’t think he knows what he’s done.

anonymous23456

Summer plants shut down for maintenance every year. I worked in auto industry in the past.

Thebrownblob

Summer plants shut down for maintenance every year. I worked in auto industry in the past.
Also, not what I’m talking about. I’m well aware of shutting down plants for the new model year. They were shutting them down because there’s too many cars and not enough sales pretending it’s because of parts shortages. In some parts of the country, there’s as much as six month supply of cars. Much of it has to do with the price I’m sure $80,000 trucks are not easy to sell.

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Also, not what I’m talking about. I’m well aware of shutting down plants for the new model year. They were shutting them down because there’s too many cars and not enough sales pretending it’s because of parts shortages. In some parts of the country, there’s as much as six month supply of cars. Much of it has to do with the price I’m sure $80,000 trucks are not easy to sell.
Stop loading them up with all the extra crapola.

Mplayers2006

The Most Hated Troll 😈
“They turned down a 20% pay increase demanding a 46% increase. They are also asking for a 32 hour work week to be paid for 40.”

The demands are audacious, chances are they will settle for a fraction of what they asked for.

Thebrownblob

“They turned down a 20% pay increase demanding a 46% increase. They are also asking for a 32 hour work week to be paid for 40.”

The demands are audacious, chances are they will settle for a fraction of what they asked for.
I think the 40% increase basically gets them up to what we’re making or slightly more, certainly they’re going to get a pretty good raise. I have no idea about the 32 hour work week seems like that’s gonna be a tough one.

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
So, getting back to the original question, do you cross the picket line to deliver to a dealership etc... or not?