UAW strike!

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Haha, well the companies themselves already said in a statement the extra labor costs will account to around $900 per vehicle, but I’m sure you’re right, but any extra they would have added with or without a deal
Well what's the markup on a car? Say it costs them 10k to build a 40k Escape. That means the $900 labor increase will equate to a $3600 sticker increase, no?

Trucker Clock

Well what's the markup on a car? Say it costs them 10k to build a 40k Escape. That means the $900 labor increase will equate to a $3600 sticker increase, no?

Nope. That’s not how it works.

The automaker typically makes around 7.5% profit on a car. If the price to manufacture the car went up by $900, the automaker only has to raise the price of the car by $900 to maintain the same profit on the car.

No other costs associated with the car went up except the labor to build it. Raise the price of the car $900 and they still get their 7.5% profit.

Nope. That’s not how it works.

The automaker typically makes around 7.5% profit on a car. If the price to manufacture the car went up by $900, the automaker only has to raise the price of the car by $900 to maintain the same profit on the car.

No other costs associated with the car went up except the labor to build it. Raise the price of the car $900 and they still get their 7.5% profit.
They would have to raise the price by 967.50 to maintain the same 7.5% profit margin

newolddude

It’s okay when UPS workers secure better pay and other concessions through collective bargaining. But when anyone else does it…. BAD!

Satuirus2000

Yeah, I don't get why people are trying to be negative about this. Too much I got mine and screw everyone else energy, which has no place in a Union environment.

Yeah, I don't get why people are trying to be negative about this. Too much I got mine and screw everyone else energy, which has no place in a Union environment.
Most of us are glad they got a good deal

We was just talking about the how much the price of a vehicle is going to go up

I'm glad those guys got a good contract was going to take him a while to make that money back up they lost while they was on strike

Trucker Clock

How do you explain dealer markups over MSRP, then?

A dealer can charge what they want for a car. It is usually based on what a customer will pay. On average, it is like 3.8% I believe.

A hot selling car/truck with low inventory, or a limited production vehicle, could net a dealer over the MSRP. But that extra profit goes to the dealer, not the automaker.

And that extra markup, over and above MSRP, has nothing to do with the extra $900 labor to build the car.