Big Shots Flock To 777F Roll-out

bbsam

Staff member
You seem to be implying that I have an entitlement mentality...I don't. The attitude that I do have is that I be compensated fairly for the services I perform for FedEx. They've promised me nothing in writing...ever.

Let's look at it from a different perspective. Let's say you negotiate an agreement with FedEx and then halfway through, FedEx decides you're making too much money per pkg and they renege on said agreement. You probably have an opportunity for redress via the court system. This is Ground.

Now, let's say you have worked for an employer for 20 years. That employer has enjoyed steady revenue and profit growth while greatly expanding it's customer base. Your efforts as an employee along with those of thousands of others had a major part in making this happen. Halway through, they decide to re-work your retirement plan and decrease your wages through outsourcing, elimination of profit sharing etc, and greatly extending top-out times. Since there isn't any contract, you don't have any opportunity to prevent any of it from happening. This is Express.

If you'd worked long-term for Express, you'd know that Smith and upper management used to promise a "contract" with employees. It "promised" wages and benefits that would keep pace with the industry leader(UPS) in return for us not going union. FedEx has broken this "agreement" over and over, so the defacto "contract" is null and void.

Our only recourse? The Teamsters.
now this is a respectable post. i agree those favoring a union should try to form one. i think they will fail. but "nothing ventured nothing gained". ground has stepped up in the courts now its time to see the color of express's bile.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Exactly. Here's how these bozos could have shown some "leadership".

1. They could have flown on a commercial airline.

2. They could have had fewer members of top management and perhaps invited some hourlies and local management. I was told that nobody from the Seattle area attended. This would give the appearance that there was some sort of teamwork involved and that frontline employees actually mattered.

3. No expensive hotels, meals or limos. How about renting a van or bus?

4. They could drop their threat to cancel additional orders by eliminating their RLA purchase contingency with Boeing.

5. They could live by the same money-saving rules they impose on the rest of the company. No coffee, cups, or bottled water for them either.

Elitist hypocrites.

Fred is a hypocrite, as are our other top executives. They plead poverty, yet live like royalty at our expense. The token 5% cuts they took will be made-up in stock options and other perks for a net effect of a zero loss in their income.

So they take a pay cut and you argue that that doesn't really mean anything, but had they brown-bagged it on a commercial airliner, you'd have been pleased/impressed to some degree???

If they had followed your suggestions, you'd be complaining about it just as you're complaining about their pay cut: "Big deal, they had to live like the rest of us for a whole couple of days. They still make the big money and they'll go right back to their upper class lifestyles when they get back. Yeah, a real sacrifice."

If they had paid for it out of their own pockets? "Big deal, they make all that money. They can afford it."

There is no pleasing you at all.

59 Dano

I get to fetch my water from a faucet in the bathroom so these dinks can keep their private jets? Get real.

I get to use 2 water fountains, an ice machine, a big bottled water dispenser, cups, a kitchen sink, and coffee service.

Maybe they just don't like you.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I get to use 2 water fountains, an ice machine, a big bottled water dispenser, cups, a kitchen sink, and coffee service.

Maybe they just don't like you.

I'm glad you get all of those big-time perks..WOW!! As usual, you missed my point entirely. Do I need to explain to you in a different way that you don't mean squat to upper management? The only folks that matter anymore are pilots and management..we just generate the revenue that pays their big salaries.

And yes, I'd be happy if the big cheeses brown-bagged it and flew commercial. At least they would be trying to show they were making an effort.

By the way, 59 Dano, why is it that you have only appeared with the onset of the RLA controversy? Do you know "Bob", "Rick", or Maury?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'm glad you get all of those big-time perks..WOW!! As usual, you missed my point entirely. Do I need to explain to you in a different way that you don't mean squat to upper management? The only folks that matter anymore are pilots and management..we just generate the revenue that pays their big salaries.

And yes, I'd be happy if the big cheeses brown-bagged it and flew commercial. At least they would be trying to show they were making an effort.

By the way, 59 Dano, why is it that you have only appeared with the onset of the RLA controversy? Do you know "Bob", "Rick", or Maury?

I believe "down south" Location is equal to "anti-union". Must be down south in Memphis. :)

Artee

Remember, this is the same company that says we can't afford bottled water, cups, coffee, or anything else extraneous. If I want a drink of water I have to walk to the bathroom half way down the building to get water out of the faucet and provide my own cup. No water fountains in the whole building.

Must suck to be you. Every station around here has water, hot chocolate, coffee and everything to go along with it. Do you have indoor plumbing where you are at or do you just hang a bear in the bushes by the station?

59 Dano

I'm a grown-up. I don't have the time or the inclination to ponder the question, "What does upper management thing of me?" They may think I'm great. They may think I stink. They may not even know that I exist beyond the fact that I'm yet another employee number. I doubt that they'll invite poor 'Dano to join in any reindeer games. That doesn't bother me because I know that execs aren't paid to care about me. I doubt they're losing sleep because, in return, I don't care about them.

Execs in any industry don't care about the frontliners of their respective industries, at least not in the strictest sense. They never have, they never will, and really, they aren't supposed to. I had that part figured out by the time I was 20 years old.

They took token pay cuts and you griped that it didn't really mean anything. They didn't fly to Seattle on the cheap and you're upset that they didn't use that trip to make a meaningless token gesture.

MaYbE I'm a SpY!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm a grown-up. I don't have the time or the inclination to ponder the question, "What does upper management thing of me?" They may think I'm great. They may think I stink. They may not even know that I exist beyond the fact that I'm yet another employee number. I doubt that they'll invite poor 'Dano to join in any reindeer games. That doesn't bother me because I know that execs aren't paid to care about me. I doubt they're losing sleep because, in return, I don't care about them.

Execs in any industry don't care about the frontliners of their respective industries, at least not in the strictest sense. They never have, they never will, and really, they aren't supposed to. I had that part figured out by the time I was 20 years old.

They took token pay cuts and you griped that it didn't really mean anything. They didn't fly to Seattle on the cheap and you're upset that they didn't use that trip to make a meaningless token gesture.

MaYbE I'm a SpY!!

Maybe you are a "spy"....I don't know. Here's what I do know. Over the years FedEx execs have perpetuated the myth that FedEx is a "different" company, and that they do care. Unfortunately, a lot of idiot employees have bought into this and honestly believe that FedEx has their best interests at heart. Top management is invested in keeping the myth alive so they can keep the union out and depress wages and benefits.

Including hourlies (and lower management) in festivities like the 777F roll-out are neither token nor meaningless. This was another opportunity to show that employees other than the top dogs were important, and they chose to squander it and make it a party for themselves instead.

UPS execs at least make an attempt at appearing that they have some level of understanding of life in the field. They don't have private jets, and the whole company forbids meals or coffee at desks in deference to the drivers in the field. Perhaps it's just symbolic, but it's a lot more than we get at Fedex.

Progessive organizations understand that frontline employees actually are important members of the "team" and have valuable input, ideas, and strategies that can help a company move forward and increase market share. FedEx no longer understands this concept and depends on engineers and middle managers in MEM who have no idea what a courier really does or how field ops really function. You appear to agree with this concept wholeheartedly. Go ahead, be a brick...Fred likes ignorant employees.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Must suck to be you. Every station around here has water, hot chocolate, coffee and everything to go along with it. Do you have indoor plumbing where you are at or do you just hang a bear in the bushes by the station?

Hey "Artee". I'm glad your district has all of the goodies you describe...others do not. Actually, it must suck to be you, skulking around here just waiting to throw-out some pro FedEx hype and shoot down the critics who speak the truth.

I suspect you are also a plant given your sudden appearance here at the BC in conjunction with the company's anti-union efforts. Most of the RTD's and Heavyweight people I know are fully on-board with going union. How is that your location is an anti-union "oasis'?

59 Dano

Maybe you are a "spy"....I don't know. Here's what I do know. Over the years FedEx execs have perpetuated the myth that FedEx is a "different" company, and that they do care. Unfortunately, a lot of idiot employees have bought into this and honestly believe that FedEx has their best interests at heart. Top management is invested in keeping the myth alive so they can keep the union out and depress wages and benefits.

OK, try this -- go find that "better" job, the one where the execs "care" more than ours do, or even as much. I looked, and I couldn't find it. Now it's your turn.

I'll wait.

Including hourlies (and lower management) in festivities like the 777F roll-out are neither token nor meaningless. This was another opportunity to show that employees other than the top dogs were important, and they chose to squander it and make it a party for themselves instead.

UPS execs at least make an attempt at appearing that they have some level of understanding of life in the field. They don't have private jets, and the whole company forbids meals or coffee at desks in deference to the drivers in the field. Perhaps it's just symbolic, but it's a lot more than we get at Fedex.

Fine. We'll tell them to stop drinking coffee at their desks. You won't be any better off as a result, but maybe you'll stop whining about it.

Progessive organizations understand that frontline employees actually are important members of the "team" and have valuable input, ideas, and strategies that can help a company move forward and increase market share. FedEx no longer understands this concept and depends on engineers and middle managers in MEM who have no idea what a courier really does or how field ops really function. You appear to agree with this concept wholeheartedly.

:::sigh::: Why don't you grow up? Seriously. Your whole schtick is that the company won't do what you think they should. You think that you have all the answers. Nearly every suggestion --rather, demand-- you post seems to have the tone of "This would make me happy, so it would make everyone else happy, so it would be good for the company, so they should do it. I don't know why they don't submit their ideas to me for approval."

What's your management experience, Mr. FedEx? Let's hear about it. How about at the executive level? I'm dying to know! Done any of it at that level for a multi-billion, multinational company?

I know this much -- working at that level is beyond anything either of us could really comprehend. Not to sound cliche, but popularity doesn't put you into those positions. Those guys have to make decisions that can cost the compnay millions of dollars (or generate that much extra revenue). Some are decisions that can affect things for years to come. Those aren't easy decisions to make and I'm kind of happy that I don't have to make them. I don't know that I could, even if I had years of preparation for that type of responsibility.

You seem to think that you're in a position to make them. Too bad you haven't demonstrated any of that skill or insight to rise beyond an hourly position.

Go ahead, be a brick...Fred likes ignorant employees.

So *that* is why you haven't been fired yet!

59 Dano

I suspect you are also a plant given your sudden appearance here at the BC in conjunction with the company's anti-union efforts. Most of the RTD's and Heavyweight people I know are fully on-board with going union. How is that your location is an anti-union "oasis'?

Artie, since we're both SeKrIt AjUnTz, let's go ahead and sync our decoder rings. After all, anyone who disagrees with MFX is a corporate shill posting here on Fred's direct orders! :laughing:

I haven't met but 2 people who are pro-union (and one of them isn't really sure). So the real question is, whose meaningless anecdote wins, mine or MFX's? I figure between the two of us, we know the union stances of 200 people or so out of the tens of thousands employed by the company, and that should be enough to know the definite answer.

Broke

We must be getting some attention from high places around here. The corporate talking heads have shown up yet again.

Most of us who are REAL hourly employees come to this forum to vent a little and voice our concerns about what's going wrong with this company. If things were great at Fedex and we were all happy, we probably never waste much time posting messages here. Now, that being said, why do these people that say their happy employees and everything's great working at Fedex waste so much time rebutting the facts that you and I point out on here??It's probably because their part of the brownbailout crew and trying to spread more misinformation

59 Dano

We must be getting some attention from high places around here. The corporate talking heads have shown up yet again.

Most of us who are REAL hourly employees come to this forum to vent a little and voice our concerns about what's going wrong with this company. If things were great at Fedex and we were all happy, we probably never waste much time posting messages here. Now, that being said, why do these people that say their happy employees and everything's great working at Fedex waste so much time rebutting the facts that you and I point out on here??It's probably because their part of the brownbailout crew and trying to spread more misinformation

Let's put things into perspective. It's a dozen or so people posting here out of tens of thousands. Many of the post are pure bonehead absurdity ("Waaahhhh, the suits get to have coffee at their desks!!") that hardly anyone is going to take seriously in the first place. Others are the paranoid types who attribute all dissent to corporate moles ("I'm unhappy, which means that everyone else should be unhappy, therefore anyone who isn't unhappy MUST be a corporate plant spreading propaganda!!11!!").

Yep, corporate is shaking in its boots.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Artie, since we're both SeKrIt AjUnTz, let's go ahead and sync our decoder rings. After all, anyone who disagrees with MFX is a corporate shill posting here on Fred's direct orders! :laughing:

I haven't met but 2 people who are pro-union (and one of them isn't really sure). So the real question is, whose meaningless anecdote wins, mine or MFX's? I figure between the two of us, we know the union stances of 200 people or so out of the tens of thousands employed by the company, and that should be enough to know the definite answer.

You haven't met but 2 people who are pro-union? How self-serving and inaccurate can you get? Meaningless? I know people all over the country who work for FedEx, from handlers to ramp agents to RTD's, and their reports to me indicate an overwhelming pro-union stance. There are plenty of managers who speak the company line in public but privately hope the union gets in.

You and Artee and the rest of the Fred worshippers can be mindless synchophants all you like, but it doesn't change the fact that most employees want the Teamsters. When we finally go union you won't have to come on here any longer and spread your manure, will you?

Broke

Let's put things into perspective. It's a dozen or so people posting here out of tens of thousands. Many of the post are pure bonehead absurdity ("Waaahhhh, the suits get to have coffee at their desks!!") that hardly anyone is going to take seriously in the first place. Others are the paranoid types who attribute all dissent to corporate moles ("I'm unhappy, which means that everyone else should be unhappy, therefore anyone who isn't unhappy MUST be a corporate plant spreading propaganda!!11!!").

Yep, corporate is shaking in its boots.
Yes corporate is shaking in their boots, that's why you're here isn't it? Why else would you guys be spending millions and millions lobbying against the pro-union legislation and wasting time with brownbailout? I read that on Sept 22nd Fedex hired another lobbying firm (one with ties to the Clinton administration) to lobby against the express carrier protection legislation. I guess it never hurts to grease both sides of the isle.

In the end it really shouldn't matter what happens with this legislation, since only 2 of us out of 100,000 want a union. lol

59 Dano

You haven't met but 2 people who are pro-union? How self-serving and inaccurate can you get? Meaningless? I know people all over the country who work for FedEx, from handlers to ramp agents to RTD's, and their reports to me indicate an overwhelming pro-union stance. There are plenty of managers who speak the company line in public but privately hope the union gets in.

You and Artee and the rest of the Fred worshippers can be mindless synchophants all you like, but it doesn't change the fact that most employees want the Teamsters. When we finally go union you won't have to come on here any longer and spread your manure, will you?

Yes, my favorite source of info is an anonymous person on the internet who makes wild claims that cannot be verified.

"All of the people I know want one thing, and if the people you know don't want it, well... ummmm.... well.... it doesn't count!!"

59 Dano

Yes corporate is shaking in their boots, that's why you're here isn't it? Why else would you guys be spending millions and millions lobbying against the pro-union legislation and wasting time with brownbailout? I read that on Sept 22nd Fedex hired another lobbying firm (one with ties to the Clinton administration) to lobby against the express carrier protection legislation. I guess it never hurts to grease both sides of the isle.

Oh, you figured it out! FRED sends us here because he cares what a handful of people on the internet are saying. Yep, that's it.

Expect some black helicopters at your house any day now.

In the end it really shouldn't matter what happens with this legislation, since only 2 of us out of 100,000 want a union. lol

I said that about 2 of the people I deal with said that, but that's OK, you can embellish it to suit your taste.

FedExer267

So I have a question if Fred is not worried about what is said on here why is it that the brown cafe has popped up in interviews and such as a resource for how employees feel? Why would they even bother if they were not worried? and why is it that weekly a new name pops up talking about how the employees are wrong and worships Fred? This may be irrelavant from me because I am just a underpaid no benefit getting ground driver who does the same job but Fred figured out a way to screw hard working people out of a decent wage